Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I haven't seen him ride a lot, because I just don't follow European racing all that close....but that was a flawless ride Christophe Lemaire gave Bayrir in the Secretariat.

Even though he missed the break, he was able to get him to the rail, relaxed before they hit the turn. He gradually moved up while covered up and while Colm O'donoghue was doing his Jaime Spencer impression, Lemaire sat and watched it all go down. Then he had a decision to make. Summer Front was beginning to move and instead of follow Handsome Mike with him and go 5 or 6 wide, he took him back just a tiny bit so he could instead move inside. This enabled him to avoid going out in the parking lot and effectively kept Finnegan's Wake pinned in as he was hitting his best stride.

Quite refreshing to see someone actually make adjustments in a race and not panic.
I always think of this race when I see his name...

It's not a deafening hush that befalls the crowd (a la Bullish Luck / Silent Witness) but still... it is noticeable.

Heart's Cry beating Deep Impact (or Deep Impacto, depending )...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P6iT-vEtHM
Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Hollywood Park

I'm real late to this party but obviously it has all been said as it pertains to Little Mike. Where is Shake The Bank when we need him? Also, what in the world was the public doing making Crackerjack King the favorite when the only 2 times he ran outside of Italy he got crushed? Other than that, Afsare ran some incredible race after all of his pre race antics. I hope he runs at Belmont in the fall and in the Breeders Cup.