Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Randwyck

After the race they started talking about Uncle Mo in the classic. The connections should look at the Dirt Mile instead. I don't think he would be as effective at 1 1/4, especially when looking at the possible starters of the 2 races. He would be overbet, but not even be top 3 at the finish in the Classic compared to winning the Dirt Mile. IMO
Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
Looking at the stakes results it's no wonder why people play slots instead. Of course you're dealing with a sport full of yokels who've lost their competitive spirit and plan their campaigns like an overprotective mother. No wonder why these top horses are so garbage.

Ducking Uncle Mo? There really isn't much hope for the future if that's happening.
I agree. Yesterdays card at Belmont was a complete joke. 33 betting interests in the 5 stakes races and other than the Vosburgh, they were all just public workouts on paper. If the JCGC was an invitational, why would they invite horses like Ice Box, A.U. Miner, Birdrun to participate??
Old 10-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter11 View Post
I agree. Yesterdays card at Belmont was a complete joke. 33 betting interests in the 5 stakes races and other than the Vosburgh, they were all just public workouts on paper. If the JCGC was an invitational, why would they invite horses like Ice Box, A.U. Miner, Birdrun to participate??
Because if they didn't then people would complain on message boards about it being a 3 horse field.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblin4ever View Post
After the race they started talking about Uncle Mo in the classic. The connections should look at the Dirt Mile instead. I don't think he would be as effective at 1 1/4, especially when looking at the possible starters of the 2 races. He would be overbet, but not even be top 3 at the finish in the Classic compared to winning the Dirt Mile. IMO
I disagree. I think he is far more effective if he is relaxed in the early stages of the race, something far less likely to happen in the mile than in the classic.

And this horse will have no issues with distance. I don't really get how people can watch him race and think otherwise.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:59 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Because if they didn't then people would complain on message boards about it being a 3 horse field.
Or they could invite better horses.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
From where? The past?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
You kind of tipped your hand with the comments about Creative Cause but this post pretty much sealed it.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
i guess you think they only invited those who showed?

there is a two-fold problem with stakes right now...too many races, not enough good horses. people can afford to pick and choose, avoid other top horses, while still making good money and getting black type.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
You kind of tipped your hand with the comments about Creative Cause but this post pretty much sealed it.
Really? I thought the evidence has been conclusive for quite some time now.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Really? I thought the evidence has been conclusive for quite some time now.
I've been off the reservation for some time but this one was pretty easy to decipher.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Quote:
I can't say I follow his posts particularly closely, but perhaps he is relatively new to the game and doesn't know about the past history of Godolphin and Coolmore?

Which could also explain his post about inviting better horses?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
I can't say I follow his posts particularly closely, but perhaps he is relatively new to the game and doesn't know about the past history of Godolphin and Coolmore?

Which precludes him from derision? Not on DT!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
Which precludes him from derision? Not on DT!
I take it you are THE source for everything that is horse racing? Good to know.

I am probably not as educated in the sport as some of you guys are. Things that you think are common knowledge, will not be to me as evident by your ridicule.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

Trolling?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Trolling?
Well, yeah, he is either trolling or is ignorant of such things due to lack of experience with the sport.

Like I said earlier, I don't follow him particularly closely, but from what I recall reading from his posts, he seems consistent with his lack of experience.

If he's trolling, he's pretty consistent with it, which is hard for most trolls to be.

I've been wrong about these things before, on the other hand.

As for derision, yeah, why not? I just give newbs more leeway (rope) than I do someone like PG, Smoothie, CSC, etc, who should know better.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
I take it you are THE source for everything that is horse racing? Good to know.

I am probably not as educated in the sport as some of you guys are. Things that you think are common knowledge, will not be to me as evident by your ridicule.
It's fine to be someone who's new to the game. However, it would be best to read and learn a bit before making a silly statement like you did. When you consider how the field for a race like the Jockey Club Gold Cup is compiled you have to figure that with it being the preeminent older horse race east of the Mississippi, the invitees are going to be top notch. Then consider that there are five races with purses of 300k or more restricted to 3YOs on dirt between Labor Day and October 16, which effectively removes the majority of them from competing in the JCGC. Then factor in that even the "best" handicap horses on the west coast either skipped the Goodwood or pointed to other races. That leaves you with a very small list of potential horses who could run in the Jockey Club Gold Cup so horses like Ice Box, Birdrun, and AU Miner are invited, in the event they are needed to get the field size to 6 or 7.

As far as Super Saturday goes, the complaints about the short fields are an annual occurrence. It is a day where being a fan is much more appealing than being a bettor. It's not mine or your fault, it's not NYRA's fault, it's the fault of those who decide not to run in the races on Super Saturday.

Last edited by NTamm1215 : 10-02-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
It's fine to be someone who's new to the game. However, it would be best to read and learn a bit before making a silly statement like you did. When you consider how the field for a race like the Jockey Club Gold Cup is compiled you have to figure that with it being the preeminent older horse race east of the Mississippi, the invitees are going to be top notch. Then consider that there are five races with purses of 300k or more restricted to 3YOs on dirt between Labor Day and October 16, which effectively removes the majority of them from competing in the JCGC. Then factor in that even the "best" handicap horses on the west coast either skipped the Goodwood or pointed to other races. That leaves you with a very small list of potential horses who could run in the Jockey Club Gold Cup so horses like Ice Box, Birdrun, and AU Miner are invited, in the event they are needed to get the field size to 6 or 7.

As far as Super Saturday goes, the complaints about the short fields are an annual occurrence. It is a day where being a fan is much more appealing than being a bettor. It's not mine or your fault, it's not NYRA's fault, it's the fault of those who decide not to run in the races on Super Saturday.
Fair enough.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Hollywood Park

Maragah suspended for careless ride in Vosburgh

Quote:
A few strides out of the gate in the Vosburgh, Maragh allowed Calibrachoa, breaking from post 4, to come over on Euroears, who in turn bumped with Apriority, who stumbled under Alex Solis. Euroears, the expected front-runner, never got involved and finished last. Apriority finished seventh.

Calibrachoa finished fifth in the race, but no inquiry or objection was lodged.

The stewards would not comment beyond saying that Maragh’s actions were “careless.’’ Maragh would not comment beyond confirming that he appealed the suspension.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
I disagree. I think he is far more effective if he is relaxed in the early stages of the race, something far less likely to happen in the mile than in the classic.

And this horse will have no issues with distance. I don't really get how people can watch him race and think otherwise.
I agree with him relaxing,and him getting the distance. I just don't think he is as effective at 1 1/4. He likes to run up front/close to the pace, from what I've seen in his races, and think of the probables who like to run the same way. That's what I was meaning with my post. He won't have his normal kick when the closers come a running compared to the Dirt Mile.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblin4ever View Post
I agree with him relaxing,and him getting the distance. I just don't think he is as effective at 1 1/4. He likes to run up front/close to the pace, from what I've seen in his races, and think of the probables who like to run the same way. That's what I was meaning with my post. He won't have his normal kick when the closers come a running compared to the Dirt Mile.
Yeah, but he seems like he can rate very well. I would think that the tactics would be different for him depending on which race he went into. If he does go in the mile, I would expect him to rate off what could be a hot pace (like the King's Bishop). If he went into the classic, I would expect him to be much closer to the front, with the chance of getting away by the time they entered the stretch.

I'm not sure what you mean by normal kick, isn't all relative on how the rest of the race plays out? I know he was coming off a layoff, but he got nailed at the wire going 7 furlongs. Was that his normal kick?

I just feel like that he has a better chance of giving that dominate/special performance that everyone is waiting for in the classic, where he might be able to take control of the race. As opposed to the mile where it might look like the King's Bishop again. Where he rates for the speed to fold and tries to get the jump on the closers.