Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Steve Byk

Default 6/16 (MTH): Pegasus S. (G3), Dan Horn H.

10th (5:29) Dan Horn H.

1 Mile (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $60,000

MTO Hop Skip and Away Bravo J 119 L
2 Richiefromshoprite Saez G 116 L
3 Arlo Lopez P 120 L
4 Silent Appeal Franco M 117 Blk-Off L
5 Cacaway Serpa A 117 L
6 Hermosillo Cotto P L Jr 117 L
7 Javerre Alvarado R Jr 123 L
8 Ciro's Clearance Moya R F 112 L
9 Chilkoot Trail Santiago V 113 L
10 Flirtatious Smile Pellot K L 109 L
11 Jersey Blue Giant Velazquez J R 118 L
12 Love Who Ferrer J C 112 L
13 Fine Friends Uske S 111 L
14 Final Forest Trujillo E 116 L

A-Coupled: Silent Appeal and Ciro's Clearance
B-Coupled: Jersey Blue Giant and Fine Friends

11th (6:00) Pegasus S. (G3)

1 1/16 Miles | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 Verrazano Velazquez J R 123 L
2 Edge of Reality Elliott S 118 L
3 Gefest Karamanos H A 118 L
4 Reporting Star Serpa A 116 L
5 Bethel Pedroza B 116 L
6 Itsmyluckyday Smith M E 123 L
7 Kanturk Kid Serpa A 116 L

A-Coupled: Reporting Star and Kanturk Kid
Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Arlington Park

Verrazano is 6/5 on the ML. If he ends up anywhere close to that, isn't he a GREAT bet here? I think he'd be a legitimate 1/5 in this race. Hard for me to see him losing this one.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2 View Post
Verrazano is 6/5 on the ML. If he ends up anywhere close to that, isn't he a GREAT bet here? I think he'd be a legitimate 1/5 in this race. Hard for me to see him losing this one.
Well.........I know I'm being stubborn here but I think Itsmyluckyday gives him all he can handle.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Turf Paradise

And between the two and the fact there are only 6 betting interests we're looking at a $3.50 exacta. Good one to watch. Betting not so much
Old 06-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
You think he should be 1/5 against Itsmyluckyday? Based on what?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
You think he should be 1/5 against Itsmyluckyday? Based on what?
Well, okay 1/5 was an overstatement but I think its likely he ends up being the best horse in this crop. This race sets up perfectly with him drawing the rail going 8.5f on that track and the lack of other quality speed.

If Itsmyluckyday couldn't beat him in the Derby where Verrazano pressed that pace...I don't see how he'll beat him here.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Flemington

So glad that they were able to get both "big" horses. If everyone stays healthy the 3 year old races should continue to stay interesting this year.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Well, okay 1/5 was an overstatement but I think its likely he ends up being the best horse in this crop. This race sets up perfectly with him drawing the rail going 8.5f on that track and the lack of other quality speed.

If Itsmyluckyday couldn't beat him in the Derby where Verrazano pressed that pace...I don't see how he'll beat him here.
Whether it was the distance, slop or both, it's pretty obvious to me the Derby isn't a good representation of Itsmyluckyday's ability, especially considering he came back to run 2nd on a dry track in the Preakness. The cutback in the Pegasus should suit him too considering his best race was at 8.5 in the Holy Bull.

They're both talented horses who should have nice 2nd halves of the year. I don't see much of a gap between them at all.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Oriental Park

1/5 seems a little strong but I think Verrazano is a likely winner and just a faster horse than Itsmyluckyday's. The Derby was a debacle, and if you toss the slow pace wood win you still are left with two very fast races to go off of and I just don't see anyone challenging his initial speed so he is likely to get the best trip.

This maybe a case as well in say the pick four that both horses are about equally weighted on the tickets so that to me creates a little bit of value.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Flemington

Itsmyluckyday pulled up on the backstretch.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Itsmyluckyday pulled up on the backstretch.
Plesa said it doesn't appear to be life threatening. Appears to be a stress fracture. X-rays being taken. Smith felt something go wrong behind when ranging up to Verazzano.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Smith said afterward that he felt the son of Lawyer Ron was off in his left hind and he pulled him up as a precautionary measure.

"It felt like a left hind. He actually broke really sharp and was just about to go up to press (front-running) Verrazano and I felt something behind," the Hall of Fame rider said. "I wasn't going to take a chance and decided it was better to be safe than sorry so I just took the cautious road."

Itsmyluckyday, a local favorite among the record 28,951in attendance for the Father's Day feature, was taken back to trainer Eddie Plesa Jr.'s stable for further examination.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2WQSXnc94
Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

The early DNF to Itsmyluckyday contributed to the race turning into a paid public workout for a talented winner.

Why is it that the Internet persona of so many respectable racehorses always sucks?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Oriental Park

96 Beyer figure, not impressed I guess as he set what seemed to me very pedestrian fractions so I am almost certain to play against him if there is anything in the race next out that can push him.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
The early DNF to Itsmyluckyday contributed to the race turning into a paid public workout for a talented winner.

Why is it that the Internet persona of so many respectable racehorses always sucks?

not sure what's worse, people typing for a horse as tho he's the one talking...or people 'liking' it.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post

You should start your own page and give the horse a "heel" personality.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Steve Byk

Ed Plesa this a.m., limited Xrays with racetrack technology negative on Itsmyluckyday but full bone scan to be performed for complete picture. Not in any discomfort. Mentioned pelvic area or something else 'up high'. Believes at this point that whatever issue is, should not be career threatening and 'doesn't say that as being too optimistic.'
Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Saratoga

great news Steve, thanks for posting the update
Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Dee Tee Stables

pelvic fracture