Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I really enjoyed episode two, though my husband, who doesn't follow racing, says he is thoroughly confused.

Speaking of confused, can someone explain to me what is going on with the guy who got beaten up by the two women? Were they pulling a scam together he backed out of? What kind of scam?

I was trying my best to follow what was going on, but the toddler was demanding a dramatic reading of "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?" during that scene, so I missed most of the dialogue.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
I really enjoyed episode two, though my husband, who doesn't follow racing, says he is thoroughly confused.

Speaking of confused, can someone explain to me what is going on with the guy who got beaten up by the two women? Were they pulling a scam together he backed out of? What kind of scam?

I was trying my best to follow what was going on, but the toddler was demanding a dramatic reading of "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?" during that scene, so I missed most of the dialogue.
He backed out of a slip and fall insurance scam with the two hookers. They apparently had a life insurance policy on him, which was either part of their scam, or was to double cross him after they had collected - so when he backed out they tried to kill him to collect on the policy... At least that's what my interpretation of it is...

Confusing to me is that I was still under the impression that they had not cashed the ticket yet - So I'm wondering why they're all still living together in the motel and everyone (except the guy in the wheelchair) is walking around flush with cash.
Doesn't make any since - once the tax situation is worked out and they cash the ticket, why wouldn't they simply go their separate ways? Unless it isn't worked out yet, they still have the ticket - in which case where is they guy getting a dufflebag full of money to play poker?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I just watched the 2nd episode and thought is was TERRIFIC. In this kind of format it takes more than a few shows to establish and get to know characters. By the end of the first season and into next year I think this show is going to be a huge hit. Hope so!!
You're delusional. They've spent a fortune promoting and it is sub-par. I watched it with people who aren't familiar with racing and they didn't like it either.

It's a show with aging stars and an obvious disdain for the average bettor. It's not acceptable.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Ocala Mike

Default Luck

Has a 7.8 rating at IMDb; not bad for a new show. We'll see if its got legs.

Ocala Mike
Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
You're delusional. They've spent a fortune promoting and it is sub-par. I watched it with people who aren't familiar with racing and they didn't like it either.

It's a show with aging stars and an obvious disdain for the average bettor. It's not acceptable.
You're right about the delusional part.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Hollywood Park

Blah. I'm with Gus, I like the goat.

Last edited by richard : 02-06-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard View Post
Blah. I love the goat.
Does Golden Missile know you are cheating on him?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Washington Park

I hate to say it but I don't care for Luck. I don't think I'll be watching any more episodes

Most of the characters are seedy and I'm not interested in their stories at all. The show is not holding my attention because I don't care about these characters. The only story line I like is Nick Nolte and his horse.

Then we have.......In the first episode we saw a horse break down and in the second episode we found out that the sire of Nick's horse got his legs broken for insurance money. Then we learned how awful the sound is of a horses legs being broken.

Yes, I know horses break down. But the first episode? Geesh.

No thanks.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Has a 7.8 rating at IMDb; not bad for a new show. We'll see if its got legs.

Ocala Mike
Everything leading up to the race sequence in Ep. 4 is more or less prequel.

Those unmoved up to that point will be grabbed by the lapels and slapped around but good.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Randwyck

I'm really wondering if the naysayers on here have ever watched this type of show on HBO before. There are plenty of em to review through history, and more often than not, the viewer is rewarded. I just don't watch two shows on HBO, dramas, and abandon after two episodes. It's not like a comedy where either you think it is or isn't funny...just my thought.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Belmont Park

I'm sticking with it, but through 2 episodes it's not even close to the same level as preceding HBO productions. The glaring continuity issues aside, (have been discussed ad nauseum) - the whole thing is a mish-mash of uninteresting subplots thus far - The Richard Kind character is over the top; the dynamic between Hoffman and Farina is awkward at best (Farina should be a natural in that role, but he comes off as though he has no idea what Milich is trying to get from him), as I mentioned before, the accent on the Ortiz character is so strong, he's uninterpretable without subtitles.

I think Nick Nolte comes off the best as far as a believable, interesting character and time will tell if this gets tied together -

Hoping for the best but to this point, it's just...weird.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Hollywood Park

Hey, Joey Rathburn wears his hair like a horse's. Down in front.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Confusing to me is that I was still under the impression that they had not cashed the ticket yet - So I'm wondering why they're all still living together in the motel and everyone (except the guy in the wheelchair) is walking around flush with cash.
Doesn't make any since - once the tax situation is worked out and they cash the ticket, why wouldn't they simply go their separate ways? Unless it isn't worked out yet, they still have the ticket - in which case where is they guy getting a dufflebag full of money to play poker?
I'm rewatching Ep 2 now- the really slovenly handicapper mentioned they didn't agree to any pictures and did everything they could to stay anonymous so they did cash the ticket. And I agree, then why the continued secrecy?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
You're right about the delusional part.
Kind of a nice break in the day,isn't it?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
I'm really wondering if the naysayers on here have ever watched this type of show on HBO before. There are plenty of em to review through history, and more often than not, the viewer is rewarded. I just don't watch two shows on HBO, dramas, and abandon after two episodes. It's not like a comedy where either you think it is or isn't funny...just my thought.
Pat, you make a fair point. I'm a big Deadwood fan. After the first 5 minutes of that show I was hooked. I want to like Luck. I was looking forward to it like everyone else. I dunno, the show makes horse racing look trashy. No?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Flemington

I thought episode 2 was just ok. Rude your not alone, I had to put on the close captioning cause I couldn't understand every other word. I enjoy all the storylines except the one revolving around Dustin Hoffman (and Farina). Unfortunately that seems like the main one. Obviously I'm going to continue to watch it, but I have to admit that I lost intrest at times during this episode.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Hollywood Park

I also thought the Pilot was flat, but loved the 2nd episode -

my 2 fav characters so far are the sleazy claiming trainer - "Goose"

and the bug-boy - "Pinhead (Escalante's nickname for)"

can't wait for episode three....
Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Randwyck

For those of you who dont like Luck try and suffer thru to Epsisode 4 and 5 and I think you will be happy. Yours truly is in Episode 7 and I look forward to all the crap you will be giving me when you hear my lines lol.
In last nites show I got a short glimpse of myself jogging by the gate in the morning gate scene only reason I knew it was me is because I had my purple vest on.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 02-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
For those of you who dont like Luck try and suffer thru to Epsisode 4 and 5 and I think you will be happy. Yours truly is in Episode 7 and I look forward to all the crap you will be giving me when you hear my lines lol.
In last nites show I got a short glimpse of myself jogging by the gate in the morning gate scene only reason I knew it was me is because I had my purple vest on.
^^^ movie star qualities, for sure

(Congrats!!!)
Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Keeneland

I liked the first and I really enjoyed the second episode. I had no problem following what was going on, but some friends did. Took me like a minute to explain and they got it after that.

If nothing else it gives my friends and family a small glimpse into what so much of my time has been spent doing all of these years. They are so proud.