Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Default How to become a Trainer?

Just wondering on the subject after watching Field Of Dreams. I know how corny is that but hey do what you like right? I know a little about the horse and it's body. I know very lttile about injuries and what to do about them. I guess I'm asking for some help from the insiders on here where to go next. If I had to guess it'd be become a hot walker/groom and work my way up. A couple of my friends have horse's and maybe they'd let me train for them. Just never asked my trainer because we're such good friends in the business and I don't want anything to come between us.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker7964
Just wondering on the subject after watching Field Of Dreams. I know how corny is that but hey do what you like right? I know a little about the horse and it's body. I know very lttile about injuries and what to do about them. I guess I'm asking for some help from the insiders on here where to go next. If I had to guess it'd be become a hot walker/groom and work my way up. A couple of my friends have horse's and maybe they'd let me train for them. Just never asked my trainer because we're such good friends in the business and I don't want anything to come between us.
Packer,
If you're really serious, you might have just given yourself the best advice....
work your way up.
In my humble opinion, absolutely nothing is easy about this "game".
You'll learn a lot from those that take you under their wing if you listen and don't speak.
Only the best trainers really know what they ae doing, and it's a very tough row to hoe.
You'll have guys that don't show up in the morning, owners to keep happy, workers comp to pay, ferriers with attitudes, and vets to deal with....
I could go on and on.
If it's what you really love, think of it like "cat juggling". There's a lot to keep up in the air and the claws will always be out.
With that said, follow your dreams.
Be ready to start small, work harder than you ever wanted to, and get a lot less recognition than you expected.
Good luck!

btw, I'm not a trainer...just an owner and breeder, but I see what they put in every day.

DTS
Old 07-04-2006, 03:27 PM
ladbroke drc

Default how to be a trainer

first of all , go to college, get a chemistry degree
the rest is all relative
Old 07-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladbroke drc
first of all , go to college, get a chemistry degree
the rest is all relative
If it was that easy, you'd see many more great trainers.
Set your alarm to 4:00 AM.
"The rest is all relative"....see the claws?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Hoisttheflag

Don't do it unless you can deal with ups and downs really well. At first you need to learn to do the **** work and then after a couple years asst. trainer. There is a lot of down time too so make sure you have something productive to do. Alcohol and gambling have ruined many an aspiring trainer. Best advice, go to a big barn to start and work your way up.