Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Those effing rich bastard teachers, living the life of luxury and having to purchase their own classroom supplies out of their pockets. Overpaid and overappreciated! Teachers have always been what's bad about this country. Greedy SOB's.
My kid's school sends out a list of supplies needed before each school year and another list mid-year. Parents are encouraged to buy extras for the kids that can't afford it (many do). When it is all said and done, that the teachers spend very little, if any, out of their own pocket.

This is only one school, but I would be surprised if others don't do it.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOREHOOF View Post
A lot of the students!
Mostly, the parents. I have not, nor ever will rely on anyone else to "educate" my children. And I live in one of the best school districts in our state.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
My kid's school sends out a list of supplies needed before each school year and another list mid-year. Parents are encouraged to buy extras for the kids that can't afford it (many do). When it is all said and done, that the teachers spend very little, if any, out of their own pocket.

We do the same, and I always ask if there are any deficiencies in any of their supplies, I help when I can. I know some parents do scrape to get by.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
It is split virtually 50-50 (52-48) so yeah, after already taking a big hit to their salary and pensions, 48% of them are willing to do some more.

Teachers have never been paid enough, nor respected enough in this country. It's very sad. Look at the the ridiculous demonization of teachers the Republican Governors decided upon last year at their convention, to enable them to try and privatize some aspects of government.

Probably why we don't get the high quality of teachers some other countries raise, that would get us into the top 25 in math, science and reading.

When are the lazy and entitled of this country going to wake up and realize that if you want to be in the Top Ten countries in math, science, reading, you have to work at it, you have to emphasize it, and that also costs money?
Just so you know MPS teachers made no concessions and did not receive a decrease in salary or an increase in any of their own personal contribution. They contribute zero towards their pension or healthcare. They rushed their contracts thru so they could do this and then cried and blamed Walker when he cut their budget.

The problem is with the parents not the teachers. The parents need to take responsibility for their children and not treat our educational system as just free daycare until their child turns 18. The reason we don't get high quality teachers is the union system of seniority etc. There is no financial motivation for a teacher to do better than their peers and the guy who turns on the movie projector every day gets paid the same as the teacher who puts in 10-12 hours. The system is broken and WI is trying to change that.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post

No, I'm talking about all the classroom supplies teachers purchase themselves: stuff they put on the bulletin boards, ancillary supplies, overheads, etc.

The school only supplies teachers with an empty classroom, empty walls, and books.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
No, I'm talking about all the classroom supplies teachers purchase themselves: stuff they put on the bulletin boards, ancillary supplies, overheads, etc.

The school only supplies teachers with an empty classroom, empty walls, and books.
This is a very broad statement and is not true in all schools, but why let the facts get in the way
Old 07-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiphan View Post
This is a very broad statement and is not true in all schools, but why let the facts get in the way
That is a very broad statement, and that is generally true for all the school districts I have lived within in five states. Teachers generally are dedicated enough to pay alot out of pocket for classroom supplies and extras.

Go ahead, please, and post the facts that counter: lists of what the school pays for in the classroom.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
That is a very broad statement, and that is generally true for all the school districts I have lived within in five states. Teachers generally are dedicated enough to pay alot out of pocket for classroom supplies and extras.

Go ahead, please, and post the facts that counter: lists of what the school pays for in the classroom.
You stated that the schools only pay for the walls and books. This is simply untrue in every state. That is all I am saying. Many districts reimburse teachers for supplies and some supply a lot of the items that they need. Your statement says that no school supplies a teacher with anything other than the classroom itself and the books.

I was just pointing out that you make broad untrue statements. Kind of like earlier in this thread where you claimed that MPS teachers already made concessions which is simply untrue.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
You stated that the schools only pay for the walls and books. This is simply untrue in every state.
So post the facts that you have. Just saying it's a fact doesn't make it so. You accuse me of that, yet you've never posted facts to back up any of your claims. Do as you say.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
So post the facts that you have. Just saying it's a fact doesn't make it so. You accuse me of that, yet you've never posted facts to back up any of your claims. Do as you say.
The facts are in some local area school districts in WI (i.e brookfield, west allis, etc.) the teachers are reimbursed for any supplies that they need within reason. Why do I know this? Well first 2 of my good friends wives work in these school district and my mom was a special education teacher for 40+ yrs. You stated that the teachers themselves pay for everything and the schools pay for nothing. How about the all the continuing education that they are reimbursed for? However in the private sector many of us including myself pay for things to do our jobs effectively.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
However in the private sector many of us including myself pay for things to do our jobs effectively.
So what? The private sector has nothing to do with the public. The public is what we have gotten together and agreed to pay for our common interests. From the first town out on the prairie that agreed to send east for a school marm to teach the kids.

You get what you pay for. If you are not getting what you have paid for (which is alot of what you don't like about unions) you change it.

Then you have people like who think that the getting together and paying as a group, forcing everyone in the town to contribute, is abusive or wrong. I think it goes towards the common good. I don't have children, but have always wanted to pay school taxes. It makes my town better, it makes my country better, to have children well-eduated.

Those folks that think differently then should leave society, and the social responsibilities and requirements of living and cohabitating in a "society", and go live alone.