Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Woodbine

Default Terrible plane crash in Lexington, Ky

Happened early this morning. I'm sure some of you have heard about it. 50 passenger plane took of apparently on the wrong runway. It crashed about 1/2 mile or so passed the runway, which was the shorter one. Horrible news, only 1 surviver. 49 fatalities.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2362320
Old 08-27-2006, 02:22 PM
pgardn

1 survivor. How odd is that. Man if this guy lives with all his faculties in tact... what a bizarre fate.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:30 PM
BellamyRd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
1 survivor. How odd is that. Man if this guy lives with all his faculties in tact... what a bizarre fate.
would remind me of the Jeff Bridges film "Fearless" or the Bruce Willis film "Unbreakable"...I'm stubborn, I won't fly, seems unnatural
Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorstman
Happened early this morning. I'm sure some of you have heard about it. 50 passenger plane took of apparently on the wrong runway. It crashed about 1/2 mile or so passed the runway, which was the shorter one. Horrible news, only 1 surviver. 49 fatalities.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2362320

1 of the dead is Dan Mallory....horse owner, breeder and seller. Owner of Meadow Haven Farm in Paris, KY.

RIP to everyone.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
1 of the dead is Dan Mallory....horse owner, breeder and seller. Owner of Meadow Haven Farm in Paris, KY.

RIP to everyone.
I was wondering if there were any T-bred connections w/ this airport basically a stones throw from horse farms and Keenland. Also a former UK baseball player and his newlywed leaving a day after thier wedding on a honeymoon. That breaks my heart. Not sure who the lone survivor is, but I can't imagine what that would feel like. I would really like to know what the hell happened. The reports we are hearing is that the flight was cleared to take off from runway 22 which was the longest runway, they took off from runway 26 which if you saw the live footage, was like a driveway compared to 22. No way they had enough runway to get to speed. How did the tower not notice which one they were on and how did the pilot not know what runway he was supposed to take off from?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

from bloodhorse:

Comair president Don Bornhorst, speaking at Sunday press conference at Keeneland.
Photo: Anne M. Eberhardt
George Brunacini, who bred 2005 Travers Stakes (gr. I) winner Flower Alley, Central Kentucky horseman Dan Mallory, and trainer Jeff Williams were among the 49 victims of Sunday morning's crash of a commuter jet shortly after takeoff from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Ky.
Brunacini, who operated Bona Terra Farm and also bred grade II winner Victory U.S.A., was confirmed among the flight victims by WLEX-TV.

Mallory, who operated Meadow Haven Farm and was regular consignor to Fasig-Tipton and Keeneland sales, was on the flight, according to Tim Boyce, sales director for Fasig-Tipton Texas. Mallory was en route to the FT Texas sale that will be held Monday and Tuesday.

Mallory served as president of the Kentucky Farm Managers' Club in 1989 and bred several stakes winners alone and in partnership, including graded winners American Spirit and Traces of Gold.

Williams, 49, who was based at the Thoroughbred Center in Lexington but race primarily in Ohio, entered the business through his association with polo ponies and the Dayton Polo Club in Centerville, Ohio, according to John Engelhardt, publicity director at River Downs racetrack. He went on to become an assistant trainer with W.E. "Smiley" Adams in the late '70s and began an association with Ohio's Woodburn Farm through the 1980s. He conditioned 10 stakes winners for Woodburn Farm, including 1985 Ohio 2-year-old champion Astrotot
Old 08-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellamyRd.
would remind me of the Jeff Bridges film "Fearless" or the Bruce Willis film "Unbreakable"...I'm stubborn, I won't fly, seems unnatural
I havnt flown in over 10 years.....however I'll be flying that same airline during my trip to the Breeders Cup in November.

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA
Old 08-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Fairgrounds

Yeah R.I.P. to everyone on the flight... It really did hit closer to home at least for me than other plane crashes, because Keeneland is literally across the street. I've been to Keeneland twice because their December handicapping contest is top-notch (eventhough my luck has been bad there). I plan on going there again this year too.

The first year I flew into Lexington because the airfare/hotel combos are pretty cheap, and with the way gas prices are these days you might as well fly. But last year the prices were up for some reason to fly into Lexington, so I flew into Cincy instead and took a rental car down. It's the way I assume will do it again this year too if the price is right. But if it's cheaper to fly to Lexington, I'll fly there. Of course this crash will be in the back of my mind, but I'm not gonna let it bother me.

As I said before, R.I.P. to everyone on the plane and my condolences to friends and family of the victims. One last thing- Comair (it's actually the same as Delta I think), is what I took to get into Cincy last year. This accident won't deter me from taking their airline again either if the price is right. Remember that plane crashes are much more rare than car crashes. Let's keep that in perspective. Peace y'all and I hope your guys' summer has been well. I haven't talked to any of you in awhile so hit me up if you wanna catch up.
-Pete

Last edited by pmayjr : 08-29-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr
Yeah R.I.P. to everyone on the flight... It really did hit closer to home at least for me than the other plane crashes on that flight, because Keeneland is literally across the street. I've been to Keeneland twice because their December handicapping contest is top-notch (eventhough my luck has been bad there). I plan on going there again this year too.

The first year I flew into Lexington because the airfare/hotel combos are pretty cheap, and with the way gas prices are these days you might as well fly. But last year the prices were up for some reason to fly into Lexington, so I flew into Cincy instead and took a rental car down. It's the way I assume will do it again this year too if the price is right. But if it's cheaper to fly to Lexington, I'll fly there. Of course this crash will be in the back of my mind, but I'm not gonna let it bother me.

As I said before, R.I.P. to everyone on the plane and my condolences to friends and family of the victims. One last thing- Comair (it's actually the same as Delta I think), is what I took to get into Cincy last year. This accident won't deter me from taking their airline again either if the price is right. Remember that plane crashes are much more rare than car crashes. Let's keep that in perspective. Peace y'all and I hope your guys' summer has been well. I haven't talked to any of you in awhile so hit me up if you wanna catch up.
-Pete
Pete, I know you have my Yahoo IM...buzz me sometime so we can talk about that contest at Keenland.
Kev
Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 AM
Fairgrounds

Will do my man, btw I'm online now hint hint
Old 09-01-2006, 03:38 PM
ezrabrooks

This might be some kind of record. First lawsuit with regard to the Lexington plane crash filed today.

Ez