Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
not so. you have until you actually take the oath right before leaving for boot camp to change your mind. my brother was in the delayed entry program, and decided not to go.
aww gotcha...thanks for that information. but once you take the oath you are in for good?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
no doubt you still have to be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and apparently the burden of proof wasn't met.
by the way, were you there when all this went down at the nightclub? if you weren't involved, you don't really know what happened. but it sounds as tho you already have quite a bias, so i'm not surprised at the way you're taking all this.
I only know what I read from both sides. But something is wrong when 3 cops shoot 50 rounds and kill an unarmed man for no reason at all. That is murder. He was no threat at all to the cops--NONE.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey17
aww gotcha...thanks for that information. but once you take the oath you are in for good?
once you take your oath, you head to boot camp to begin whatever tour of duty you signed for. when i joined, i had a contract specifying what school i would go to after boot camp, and my total length of active duty-it's different for some people. i agreed to four years active duty, but a guy i went to school with split it 3 active, 5 reserves. when my son joined, he initially agreed to six active since he was facing two years of school right off to be a nuke electrician. he's since changed to gas turbine electrician, so they cut him to four years, but he's going to re-enlist in a few months when that four years is up--probably for another four year tour. you don't generally see people sign up for longer stints at a time then that.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
once you take your oath, you head to boot camp to begin whatever tour of duty you signed for. when i joined, i had a contract specifying what school i would go to after boot camp, and my total length of active duty-it's different for some people. i agreed to four years active duty, but a guy i went to school with split it 3 active, 5 reserves. when my son joined, he initially agreed to six active since he was facing two years of school right off to be a nuke electrician. he's since changed to gas turbine electrician, so they cut him to four years, but he's going to re-enlist in a few months when that four years is up--probably for another four year tour. you don't generally see people sign up for longer stints at a time then that.
Interesting. Why did he go from Nuke Electrician to a Gas Turbine Electrician?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I only know what I read from both sides. But something is wrong when 3 cops shoot 50 rounds and kill an unarmed man for no reason at all. That is murder. He was no threat at all to the cops--NONE.
thing is, from what i read, they id'd themselves, told them to stop, and then felt that the guy was going to run them down with his car. many times cops have a moment to judge a threat and react. whether he had to shoot 10 times or 50, i don't know. i wasn't there. it sounds extreme, but they never tell a cop to shoot to wound either.
but the prosecution put up witnesses with what sounds like no credibility. then changing stories, conflicting stories. like i said, they may have made a huge mistake, but you have to prove it. they didn't. burden of proof is different in a civil case, so we'll all see how that comes out.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Interesting. Why did he go from Nuke Electrician to a Gas Turbine Electrician?
i guess he thought he'd like that better, and seems to enjoy it. matter of fact, they just sent him back to a 'c' school for more in depth training and education-he's only got a chief beating him in class, so he's doing well. he's looking at getting a 16k re-enlistment bonus...they've put him through a lot of education and training, so he wants to pay them back by re-signing.
he could actually work for an airline on their engines, as it's essentially the same thing. seems all navy ships other than carriers and nuke subs use the gas turbine engine, so he's going to be kept busy.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
thing is, from what i read, they id'd themselves, told them to stop, and then felt that the guy was going to run them down with his car. many times cops have a moment to judge a threat and react. whether he had to shoot 10 times or 50, i don't know. i wasn't there. it sounds extreme, but they never tell a cop to shoot to wound either.
but the prosecution put up witnesses with what sounds like no credibility. then changing stories, conflicting stories. like i said, they may have made a huge mistake, but you have to prove it. they didn't. burden of proof is different in a civil case, so we'll all see how that comes out.
Oh I agree with you 100%. The problem is that Prosecutors and Cops work so close together. And it is almost political suicide for a Prosecutor to put cops away. Our judicial system is such a scam. If they felt threatened by the car--shoot the tires out. There is a reason why the felt the need to have the judge decide--because they knew a judge would not convict them.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:40 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Easy to say after the event.
Im sure the cops knew the man was no threat.
Just a little target practice.

Do you have any idea how many rounds some
of these "street weapons" can deal?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Dee Tee Stables

since we're on the subject....strange how these threads can go on a tangent....but my daughter had talked of going in the navy as well, but has changed her mind. but my youngest is interested in going to the naval academy. he wants to be a pilot-if he does, my oldest would have to salute him, which is kind of funny.
at any rate, a bit of bragging. eric took the ACT a couple weeks ago. he's finishing up tenth grade. he got his score back a couple days ago.
a 28. brother and sister are both a bit ticked, but proud as well. tony and i are too of course.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
i guess he thought he'd like that better, and seems to enjoy it. matter of fact, they just sent him back to a 'c' school for more in depth training and education-he's only got a chief beating him in class, so he's doing well. he's looking at getting a 16k re-enlistment bonus...they've put him through a lot of education and training, so he wants to pay them back by re-signing.
he could actually work for an airline on their engines, as it's essentially the same thing. seems all navy ships other than carriers and nuke subs use the gas turbine engine, so he's going to be kept busy.
That is awesome. Good for your son. I am looking into the business of leasing or renting out Solar Panels for homes. We have a couple of ex-military people helping us out with the engineering. They are good men but man they really like an early start to the day and they eat so fast.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
since we're on the subject....strange how these threads can go on a tangent....but my daughter had talked of going in the navy as well, but has changed her mind. but my youngest is interested in going to the naval academy. he wants to be a pilot-if he does, my oldest would have to salute him, which is kind of funny.
at any rate, a bit of bragging. eric took the ACT a couple weeks ago. he's finishing up tenth grade. he got his score back a couple days ago.
a 28. brother and sister are both a bit ticked, but proud as well. tony and i are too of course.
Awesome. As a fellow parent--brag all you want. I love it when I hear stories like yours. My oldest daughter took her PSATs and yeah--it didnt go well. She gets good grades. But I think she freezes up when it counts.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Oh I agree with you 100%. The problem is that Prosecutors and Cops work so close together. And it is almost political suicide for a Prosecutor to put cops away. Our judicial system is such a scam. If they felt threatened by the car--shoot the tires out. There is a reason why the felt the need to have the judge decide--because they knew a judge would not convict them.

mmmmmm, i don't know man. as for shooting the tires out, that's a high risk deal there too. car goes out of control, or hits them anyway. you've not doubt seen high speed chases, where all four tires on a car are flattened, and the car keeps going and going like the dammed energizer bunny. cops have a lot more to worry about then 'hey, is this guy guilty or innocent?' what about bystanders, themselves-hesitation can be catastrophic. just think if they had handled this differently, and the guy hadn't been in the wrong place at the wrong time? you've got to remember, cops see the worst of society day in, and day out. you're staking out a place, it's four am, you see some guys get into a fight, and then have reason to think it's going to escalate. then you tell them to stop, and they do what? ignore you. it's not a good situation at all.
also, you get press for days and weeks when something goes wrong. but you never see all the times cops get it right, so perception is skewed.

and yes, absolutely it's a damn crying shame a guy lost his life, i absolutely agree about that.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
That is awesome. Good for your son. I am looking into the business of leasing or renting out Solar Panels for homes. We have a couple of ex-military people helping us out with the engineering. They are good men but man they really like an early start to the day and they eat so fast.
yeah, they give you a few minutes every day to scarf a meal. i tend to take my time these days. besides, you eat less that way!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
mmmmmm, i don't know man. as for shooting the tires out, that's a high risk deal there too. car goes out of control, or hits them anyway. you've not doubt seen high speed chases, where all four tires on a car are flattened, and the car keeps going and going like the dammed energizer bunny. cops have a lot more to worry about then 'hey, is this guy guilty or innocent?' what about bystanders, themselves-hesitation can be catastrophic. just think if they had handled this differently, and the guy hadn't been in the wrong place at the wrong time? you've got to remember, cops see the worst of society day in, and day out. you're staking out a place, it's four am, you see some guys get into a fight, and then have reason to think it's going to escalate. then you tell them to stop, and they do what? ignore you. it's not a good situation at all.
also, you get press for days and weeks when something goes wrong. but you never see all the times cops get it right, so perception is skewed.

and yes, absolutely it's a damn crying shame a guy lost his life, i absolutely agree about that.
I get what you are saying, I really do. But it is no excuse. We should expect better and demand better. There was no warning shots, and no verbal threat or physical threat made to them. These men did nothing wrong--nothing. And they get shot at 50x and one dies. As a society, we should demand better actions by our law enforcement.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Awesome. As a fellow parent--brag all you want. I love it when I hear stories like yours. My oldest daughter took her PSATs and yeah--it didnt go well. She gets good grades. But I think she freezes up when it counts.
well, it's funny...if i put all three of them together, i'd have some sort of sick super genius. kelly is good at reading, writing, has an awesome vocabulary, and has been in band since 6th grade-she can play any brass instrument you throw at her. thank god, it's helping pay her way thru college. but she's horrid at math-she managed a 25 on her act-so between her academic and band, a full free ride for college in the fall. phew.
mark, excellent at math, physics....can't spell for sh!t, and hated english. writing essays kills him. no music at all...i think he got a 21 on his act, only took it one time, but got a killer asvab score (military test) and did very well on the nuke test.
eric is the most well-rounded, but his english is still his weakest point, but better than mark...but his arts/literature score-11. ugh. he's the only one of the three that barely touches a book. but i did get him to read some of my bernard cornwell books, so that's something.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I get what you are saying, I really do. But it is no excuse. We should expect better and demand better. There was no warning shots, and no verbal threat or physical threat made to them. These men did nothing wrong--nothing. And they get shot at 50x and one dies. As a society, we should demand better actions by our law enforcement.
but by the same token, while a cop is firing a warning shot, the guy facing off with him could be taking aim at his head.
i think most of the time, they do the right thing. sad thing is, just like here, if a mistake is made, someone can die. absolutely we have to try to never have that.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
well, it's funny...if i put all three of them together, i'd have some sort of sick super genius. kelly is good at reading, writing, has an awesome vocabulary, and has been in band since 6th grade-she can play any brass instrument you throw at her. thank god, it's helping pay her way thru college. but she's horrid at math-she managed a 25 on her act-so between her academic and band, a full free ride for college in the fall. phew.
mark, excellent at math, physics....can't spell for sh!t, and hated english. writing essays kills him. no music at all...i think he got a 21 on his act, only took it one time, but got a killer asvab score (military test) and did very well on the nuke test.
eric is the most well-rounded, but his english is still his weakest point, but better than mark...but his arts/literature score-11. ugh. he's the only one of the three that barely touches a book. but i did get him to read some of my bernard cornwell books, so that's something.
Kylee my oldest is an art freak. She is incredible, but she cant reason or do math at all and she has ZERO common sense. But she can look at something and turn and draw it to a tee. The other two are too young to really get a grasp on what they are good at and enjoy. Where is Kelly going to college?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
but by the same token, while a cop is firing a warning shot, the guy facing off with him could be taking aim at his head.
i think most of the time, they do the right thing. sad thing is, just like here, if a mistake is made, someone can die. absolutely we have to try to never have that.
Mistakes cannot happen. I am sorry--but they cant. Cops should always side on the side of caution--ALWAYS. They simply cannot open fire just because they thought he was reaching for a gun or whatever. People do not need to stop just because a cop says so. They need probable cause and they did not have any of this. Sad thing is that the witnesses are were drunk at the time so how on earth could they remember a thing.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Kylee my oldest is an art freak. She is incredible, but she cant reason or do math at all and she has ZERO common sense. But she can look at something and turn and draw it to a tee. The other two are too young to really get a grasp on what they are good at and enjoy. Where is Kelly going to college?
south arkansas university in magnolia arkansas. she loves to draw too, and has said that she'd like to own an art studio as a sidelight. but she thinks she's going to stay in the music field.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
south arkansas university in magnolia arkansas. she loves to draw too, and has said that she'd like to own an art studio as a sidelight. but she thinks she's going to stay in the music field.
My entire family can play music, but not me...NO NO NO. My brothers and sisters are music teachers. My one nephew is the pep band director at IU and my other cousin is the band director at Oklahoma State. I did not get the music gene. Arkansas huh....do u get a chance to go to Oaklawn?