Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2007, 02:28 AM
Bowie

Default Status of show? (ATRAB)

I heard that the show might be cancelled down the line at least there was an indication of that, on the latest show. ne body know ne news thanks

Aaron
Old 06-07-2007, 04:20 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by unassailable08
I heard that the show might be cancelled down the line at least there was an indication of that, on the latest show. ne body know ne news thanks

Aaron
Aaron, please re-read your post as if you were anybody else on visting this website and tell me if you would know what the hell this post means.

What show?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Oriental Park

Good question Bigs! I looked at that post a couple of times and was confused. I thought it was just too early but on review it looked like it may have occurred just after last call.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Newmarket

Morty's Girls Auditions??????

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 06-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Steve Byk

Aaron is refering to ATRAB... and there are some developments that I should address here. The show's current contract ends today as it happens, and Sirius cannot commit to a new full one year deal right now. With the pending Sirius-XM merger being formalized sometime in the near future, they don't know how their scheduling is going to work out once they absorb the XM programming which includes a handful of XM channels JUST for major league baseball...

They are however, happy to let us continue on a month-by-month basis with no guarantees for how things shake out down the road. JJ Graci is not going to continue with it on that basis though, and is in the process of creating an exciting new Internet-based sports/racing broadcasting network that he is going to launch soon.

"At the Races" continues though, and I'll do my best to keep building on what we've done, hoping that once the Sirius-XM merger is completed they will want to commit to a new deal.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Del Mar

Wow..that's aweful...like a good friend was just diagnosed with a possible terminal illness. Steve , is there anything we can do to support the show on Sirius? The way you rise to a cause I detect you're looking elsewhere as well or not?

Spyder
Old 06-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Les Bois

Steve,

I hope Sirius/XM does the right thing!

Good luck,

Rick
Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Flemington

Good Luck Steve! ATRAB Rocks! I hope it continues. I for one have learned more from the show AND this forum in the past few months, than in the last 20 years of playing the horses. Byk is the best!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Detroit Race Course

Steve....let us know if bombarding them with email pleas, etc. will help.

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Goodwood

The Sirius/XM merger could drag out for quite some time and still has the possibility of not happening.

I would hope Sirius does the right thing and offers a new contract.

Good luck with it Steve and if there is anything us listeners can do, please let us know. We appreciate you staying on with the month to month situation.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:34 AM
The Curragh

Steve,

We certainly apprreciate and sincerely ejoy all of your hard work here and on ATRAB. If there is anything your supporters can do to be of assistance, please let us know.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 06-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Aaron is refering to ATRAB... and there are some developments that I should address here. The show's current contract ends today as it happens, and Sirius cannot commit to a new full one year deal right now. With the pending Sirius-XM merger being formalized sometime in the near future, they don't know how their scheduling is going to work out once they absorb the XM programming which includes a handful of XM channels JUST for major league baseball...

They are however, happy to let us continue on a month-by-month basis with no guarantees for how things shake out down the road. JJ Graci is not going to continue with it on that basis though, and is in the process of creating an exciting new Internet-based sports/racing broadcasting network that he is going to launch soon.

"At the Races" continues though, and I'll do my best to keep building on what we've done, hoping that once the Sirius-XM merger is completed they will want to commit to a new deal.
I love the show as you know, and it's one of my main reasons for having Sirius. Best of luck to JJ in his future endeavors. I know you will do your best to keep the show rolling as it seems to have reached a point where the top horsemen are very interested in getting involved.

Having the all-baseball stations will be nice, but that's a lot of 'dead air' space from 11 pm till 7 pm every day. Sounds like a programming opportunity to me.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Washington Park

Are with all of the above posts Steve. If you need up to send e-mails, let us know.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Hollywood Park

Unhappy Are you kidding?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept

ATRAB is the ONLY reason I have Sirius - I didn't get it for that reason but now that I have Sirius ATRAB is just about the only thing I listen to. I commute 1 hour to work each day, I catch the 5 - 6 pm on the ride home and then the 6-7 on the replay the next morning on the way to work. Without ATRAB my commute will return to being close to unbearable!!!

Steve, let us know if there is something we can do to advocate for a slot with the new company. While I enjoy listening to JJ and will certainly take a peek at his broadcast network, it would not be the same without you. Not to sound like too much of a groupie or a stalker, but I'll try to follow you wherever you go (virtually, of course!! )
Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Oriental Park

Thats bad news, its a good show and good for racing,

that being said, and I am sure Graci is a nice person but I dont think he does a good job on the show as far as interviewing and keeping a constant flow.

good luck though
Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Arlington Park

I've listened to a couple of the other weekend shows a few times. There's no comparison. Steve and his program are the best of the group. And it's not even close.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I've listened to a couple of the other weekend shows a few times. There's no comparison. Steve and his program are the best of the group. And it's not even close.
What you don't hearing a half hour of harness and international racing on a Triple Crown Day from 10am-noon on Down the Stretch?

That show is a joke. Professional as heck, but way off base as to what the horse player/fan wants to hear on the day of a Triple Crown Race - which for the first half hour the first two legs has been trotters. No lie. I think they might actually open every show with this.

And I understand paying the bills and I'm sure there is some tie to advertising, but come on. You have to at least pretend to care about your audience just a little bit. And the trotters is usually followed up with some sort of taped piece - never any real handicapping/racing "discussion" like you get on ATTAB.

Steve/JJ's show is superior in every single way and it would be a shame to see it go away.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Woodbine

The whole reason I got Sirius was for ATRAB (I despise Howard Stern -- never listened to him, never ever, not once) and this was way before I even knew this site existed. Ditto on the email campaign idea, if it will help. Sorry to hear about JJ's departure -- I'll sure miss his inimitable style.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Coach Pants

Nothing a few phony phone calls can't fix. Maybe have morty on as a guest from time to time, kinda like Gilbert Gottfried on the Stern show.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Bowie

Default BTW

I didnt make that comment at last call I wont be able to drink legally till a week from tomorrow.

I just didnt know if the show was still on for good or not.