Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Churchill Downs

Default What would you do...

I am in a bit of a dilemma.

I have decided to go to veterinarian school after I get my BS Biology degree (took me long enough to come to this realization). I want to become an equine DVM/PhD, and, essentially, it is what I have been geared to do for my entire life. I don't know why I was fighting it so much, and I had to make a decision because I was running out of time.

However, with all of the requirements for admissions to NC State's veterinarian college (400 hours of volunteer service at 3 different veterinarain practices + 5 courses that I will not have upon graduating UNC) (this also sucks because I am well-known throughout the state), there is no way that I can fullfill them since I am late in my junior year. UGA seems like the best option since they do not have near the requirements, and since my boyfriend lives about 2 hours away from that campus. I am very confident that I could get into UGA with my past credentials and experience with the horses in combination with my GPA. I just have to do well on the GRE.

UGA gives preference to in-state students in addition to the difference between paying 33,000 a year and 12,000 a year (out of state vs. in state). Needless to say, I would need to establish in-state residency before attending. Wesleyan College is currently only 10 minutes away from my bf's place. It is an all-girl's school, and only has 700 students. It is a private institution, and only costs 16,500 a year to attend (not including other expenses). UNC costs about 16,000 total with dorm and other expenses a year. 100% of the students receive some type of financial aid at Wesleyan, and I am eligible for quite a few large academic scholarships. It has an equestrian team, and pre-veterinary curriculum, but so does UNC. However, Wesleyan is not UNC-Chapel Hill academic wise. I feel as if I wouldn't be challenged, and would breeze through that college. I am doing well at Chapel Hill GPA wise, and I really love the college (although I don't like the size of the classes and the impersonal nature or being away from my bf). I also don't think that all of my courses would transfer into Wesleyan, but I'm not sure how private institutions work when it comes to transferring credits. It the end, it's all about the cost of college and the GPA.

So, my question is this: Would you stay at the more lucrative and prestigious college of UNC-Chapel Hill, and work in GA for a year to establish residency in the state before going to UGA, or would you go to Wesleyan, a college that might be a little bit more expensive that UNC, so that you could go straight into vet school?

There are people chomping at the bit right now because I am considering giving up my seat at Chapel Hill so that they have a better chance of being accepted. Even if I do go to Wesleyan, it will never compare to that college. I will always be a Tarheel, but I have to make the most strategic and cost-efficient decision. I have time to decide, but I would still like other's opinions.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Coach Pants

I'd do two chicks at the same time.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
I'd do two chicks at the same time.
I'm sure you could at Wesleyan. UNC-CH, you might would have a bit of a harder time finding girls that would....
Old 03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
(this also sucks because I am well-known throughout the state)
You lost me there.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
You lost me there.
In the horse industry...

A large part of getting into vet school is based on experience and accomplishments in the horse industry at NC State. I'm sure quite a few people on the acceptance committee would know who I am... I know a lot of the vets and professors at NC State that are involved in the horse industry as I was closely associated with them as a youth. They taught me a whole lot about horses. NC State has one of the best vet schools and youth programs in the country. That's why NC always is on top at all of the horse regional, national, and world educational competitions for youth.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
You lost me there.
She was talking about doing two chicks at the same time. She's well known for that in NC.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
In the horse industry...
The booming North Carolina equine industry?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Hialeah Park

The one bit of real advice I can offer is make your decision on what you want to do. Don't worry about the boyfriend. If things are meant to work they will. If they don't and you make your decision based on him you will come to regret it.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
The booming North Carolina equine industry?
Yes...NC is huge in three day eventing, hunters, AQHA, western pleasure, and show jumping.

Of course, no race horses though.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Coach Pants

I just don't see the need in vet school when you can tell when a horse is sore just by looking at video. If you could master the ability to communicate in depth with horsies you could own the industry.

Now get to work!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
The one bit of real advice I can offer is make your decision on what you want to do. Don't worry about the boyfriend. If things are meant to work they will. If they don't and you make your decision based on him you will come to regret it.
Thanks. Yeah, that's what he is saying too. He told me to look at it as if I wasn't with him.

Still, there is too much to do at this point to try to go to NC State. There is no way. I would go there if I didn't have to pay for 5 extra courses that I won't have upon graduating at UNC. I think UGA is a good alternative option under the circumstances. I like GA.

I think that I will most likely stay at UNC, and live in GA for a year so that I can establish residency before attending UGA.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Jerome Park

[quote=kentuckyrosesinmay]I'm sure you could at Wesleyan. UNC-CH, you might would have a bit of a harder time finding girls that would....[/QUOTE]

yeah right
Old 03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Tropical Park

Check on the Georgia resquirements for in state acceptance to vet school. In Texas, you have to WORK in Texas for a year to be accepted as an in state student. If you were an out of state student at a Texas college, you did not qualify as an in state student. (At least those were the requirements 15 years ago.)

If I were in your shoes, I would finish at UNC and start trying to meet the requirements for NC State vet School.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Jerome Park

[quote=witchdoctor]Check on the Georgia resquirements for in state acceptance to vet school. In Texas, you have to WORK in Texas for a year to be accepted as an in state student. If you were an out of state student at a Texas college, you did not qualify as an in state student. (At least those were the requirements 15 years ago.)

If I were in your shoes, I would finish at UNC and start trying to meet the requirements for NC State vet School.[/QUOTE]

same here, take those extra 5 courses summer/winter session or night classes while you get your volunteer hours. You can do it and it will probably pay off financially.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Arlington Park

did you check virginia tech, texas a&m, or god forbid (gulp) auburn.
my fingers hurt now from typing that last word.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
She'd fit in well at All Barn.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Virginia Tech is a good vet school, and my dad lives in VA. We usually send our horses to VA Tech because NC State is so much more expensive. I think NC State is the best ranked vet college of the three (UGA, VA Tech, NC State) if I am not mistaken. Based on the requirements to get in to NC State, I'm sure that is the case. Colorado State is the best vet college in the country, but I don't want to go all the way out there. I'm not sure of the vet school requirements though for VA Tech. I have looked at both VA Tech and Cornell before, but I would have to look them up again. I would rather go to a college that I have family or friends nearby. UGA, NC State, and VA Tech would be good, but no matter which way I go, I would have to take a year off either to establish in-state residency or meet requirements. I know that you are eligible for in-state tuition at UGA if you live in GA for a year. Not sure about Virginia. It would be funny if I ended up at NC State because UNC and Duke students really pick on them. We even have T-shirts...haha. I would fit in fine though with my accent.

What is wrong with Auburn?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:
That took bravery to type that. Auburn's vet school is top notch.
I had the opportunity to meet one of Texas A&M's top professors a couple of years ago. He headed up a stem cell procedure that we tried on a yearling filly that, I'm happy to say, has been super successful. My primary vet is an A&M grad (love him) and even though I'm not a native Texan, the vets I've known through the years that I thought were really sharp have been A&M grads.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Churchill Downs

Does anyone know the national rankings for veterinary colleges? I can't find them anywhere on the net...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Churchill Downs

Thanks for mentioning Auburn. That looks like a valid option as well. It looks like I don't have to take any extra courses that I won't already have to get in.

Nevermind, don't like the tuition at all nor does it have a DVM/PhD program.