Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Cunningham Racing

Default Bernardini = 117 Beyer, Henny Hughes = 113 Beyer

...need I say more...still any non-believers out there?

Cue the "Joel loves Darley" comments in 5....4....3....2....
Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Sunshine Park

Both are huge numbers and I'm impressed with both. They showed they can both settle off the pace and then turn in on when necessary. Bernardini needs to get pressed at some point to see how he responds, but there might not be anyone besides Discreet Cat to do this. Lava man did look good today, but I'm gonna make him prove something outside of Cali.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Washington Park

Joel, out of curiousity, how do you get these numbers so quickly?

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 10-07-2006, 10:51 PM
stpeteslew

and 1.i bet this makes your weekend mr.sheik abdul cunningham racing.did bernardinis performance blow your turban off your head?nothing personal but i wish you would be a little more emphatic about some american horses.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Cunningham Racing

Some quotes:

"He's a super horse,'' Prado said.

"It's the first time I almost clapped for a horse that beat me,'' Zito said.

...two of our sport's greats recognize the magnitude of what is happening before them....Just like I said after the Jim Dandy, best horse since Bid....

Godolphin must be wondering when Discreet Cat or Bernardini will ever get to really run....all they've really done is put on public workouts the last few races...

Last edited by Cunningham Racing : 10-07-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Washington Park

Bernardini is now a two millionaire, by the way, after only 7 career starts...average earnings of $294,354 per...

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
...need I say more...still any non-believers out there?

Cue the "Joel loves Darley" comments in 5....4....3....2....
LOL

The horse amazes me, simply amazes me. I wasn't sure what the Beyer would be because he coasted home, but the track wasn't that fast today. I love the fact that Bernardini faced fast middle fractions and still drew off easily. He's just a pleasure to watch run -thanks for posting, Joel!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Some quotes:

...two of our sport's greats recognize the magnitude of what is happening before them....Just like I said after the Jim Dandy, best horse since Bid....

Godolphin must be wondering when Discreet Cat or Bernardini will ever get to really run....all they've really done is put on public workouts the last few races...

I sat with Nick for the race.....I must have missed the " almost clapping ". He's the greatest ( Nick that is ). I'm joking....it was worthy of clapping.

As for your last comment...come on Joel, including Discreet Cat is silly. They have made zero attempt to seek out any competition. While Bernardini has danced all the real dances and it's hardly their fault there is no competition, Discreet Cat has sat idly by and made zero attempt to face any worthy opponents.

Behave yourself or I will start referring to you as a Sheik wannabee.

Last edited by blackthroatedwind : 10-07-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Some quotes:

Bernardini will probably have to run some in the Classic, but for all intents and purposes, we probably have to wait until next year. DC is coming back and if the Sheikh wants his reputation as a sportsman to stay intact, he'll give the green light to Bernardini. Imagine how good he'd be as a 4 year old? Scary.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Churchill Downs

Oh yeah Joel, you just love those sheiks don't you?

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself
Old 10-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I sat with Nick for the race.....I must have missed the " almost clapping ". He's the greatest ( Nick that is ). I'm joking....it was worthy of clapping.

As for your last comment...come on Joel, including Discreet Cat is silly. They have made zero attempt to seek out any competition. While Bernardini has danced all the real dances and it's hardly their fault there is no competition, Discreet Cat has sat idly by and made zero attempt to face any worthy opponents.

If you still can't see them as the two best horses in the world, I worry about you, btw....you seem convinced on Bernardini now...maybe when Discreet Cat wins the Cigar Mile by 7+ you may come around on him too....jock hasn't broken a cross on him yet and he hasn't gotten out of a gallop yet in last two, plus he's undefeated and CRUISED against the supposed-good-horse-that-dodged-Bernardini named Invasor in the UAE Derby....

Now, DC is not a pretty mover and will be lucky to stay sound for long, howvere he is the second best horse in the world on dirt IMO....who's better? Lava Man?, please....
Old 10-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:

Can't believe Nick actually ran two against him....guy's got some coconuts...that was a sporty thing to do, although he did get seocnd and third money....not bad to run for minor prizes some time when you can place in a race like this....
Old 10-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Jerome Park

First of all, Joel, I have been a big fan of Bernardini since he destroyed the field in the Preakness and have never said anything negative about him. He's overrated only in that he is being talked about as though he is one of the all-time greats and he has simply not done enough to prove that. Right now I liken him to Point Given, certainly extremely good, but not as fast as the likes of Ghostzapper or even Skip Away to name a couple recent horses. On the other hand, he could well prove as good or even better if given a chance to race as a 4YO, something I would be very excited to see. I love seeing actual good horses and Bernardini is certainly one already and one would have to believe considering his age and relative inexperience that he has upside. It would be a real shame if he were retired after this year.

As for Discreet Cat, there is no denying he is very talented, but your response was poor considering it was you who made some implication that Godolphin was wondering where his real competition was when, in fact, it is Godolphin that has, and is, ducking this supposed " real competition ". It is comments like that that cement your position as their head cheerleader.

Last edited by blackthroatedwind : 10-07-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Can't believe Nick actually ran two against him....guy's got some coconuts...that was a sporty thing to do, although he did get seocnd and third money....not bad to run for minor prizes some time when you can place in a race like this....
It was sporty, I agree, and says a lot more about him than the rest of the gutless barn area. And, frankly, he did right by his owners. Hell, he took home $225K. Andromeda's Hero has now made over $850K. Unbelievable....Nick should get an eclipse award for that alone.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
First of all, Joel, I have been a big fan of Bernardini since he destroyed the field in the Preakness and have never said anything negative about him. He's overrated only in that he is being talked about as though he is one of the all-time greats and he has simply not done enough to prove that. Right now I liken him to Point Given, certainly extremely good, but not as fast as the likes of Ghostzapper or even Skip Away to name a couple recent horses. On the other hand, he could well prove as good or even better if given a chance to race as a 4YO, something I would be very excited to see. I love seeing actual good horses and Bernardini is certainly one already and one would have to believe considering his age and relative inexperience that he has upside. It would be a real shame if he were retired after this year.

As for Discreet Cat, there is no denying he is very talented, but your response was poor considering it was you who made some implication that Godolphin was wondering where his real competition was when, in fact, it is Godolphin that has, and is, ducking this supposed " real competition. It is comments like that that cement your position as their head cheerleader.
Ra Ra...Go Godolphin...Ra Ra

At least Bernardini is with the one owner that will make your wish come true about Bernardini and DC running as 4YOs....any small-timers would be inking a stud deal as we speak.....

Thats why Darley is a neccesary evil that people who only look on the surface cannot detect....
Old 10-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Ra Ra...Go Godolphin...Ra Ra

At least Bernardini is with the one owner that will make your wish come true about Bernardini and DC running as 4YOs....any small-timers would be inking a stud deal as we speak.....

Thats why Darley is a neccesary evil that people who only look on the surface cannot detect....
My problem with Godolphin is mostly that in the past they have done little to support American racing ( other than fattening the breeder's pockets ). From the standpoint of a racing fan, which I am, they have done a great deal to hurt top class racing in the US over the last 20 years. I would love to see this change and it appears that may be happening.

I would love to see both horses next year though, like you, I am acutely aware of Discreet Cat's physical situation and won't necessarily hold it against them if it should make him unable to race next year. I will still be disappointed. Who wouldn't be?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Andromeda's Hero has now made over $850K. Unbelievable....Nick should get an eclipse award for that alone.
LOL.. and LOL again! What was the Pick Six like today, A?
Old 10-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Del Mar

this may sound crazy but...

of those two jaw dropping performances, I found myself to be more impressed with henny hughes's. Perhaps its because i already knew bernardini would do what he did and i still had my doubts about henny.

Henny just pissed all over a couple of really good sprinters and did it in a hand ride. It was all too easy. I definitely became a believer today.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
this may sound crazy but...

of those two jaw dropping performances, I found myself to be more impressed with henny hughes's. Perhaps its because i already knew bernardini would do what he did and i still had my doubts about henny.

Henny just pissed all over a couple of really good sprinters and did it in a hand ride. It was all too easy. I definitely became a believer today.
I'm also now on board with HH and props to those who spotted what he showed yesterday far earlier than I did.

I'm still looking forward to Bernardini getting hooked by a quality horse and that's likely to happen in a month , but he can only beat what they put in front of him and he's doing it in high style.

Big year for the Godolphin folks.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
LOL.. and LOL again! What was the Pick Six like today, A?

I played 5 different tickets for $524 and had no more than three on any of them. I think Bernardini was the only horse that won that I actually thought would.