Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 AM
Saratoga

Default Ouija Board to the Irish Champion Stakes

Just up on Racing Post.....

Ouija Board books ticket to Leopardstown after gallop

by Tony Elves

OUIJA BOARD is set to take her chance in the Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown on Saturday week after delighting trainer Ed Dunlop in her latest piece of work.

The six-time Group 1 winner was in action on the across-the-flat gallop on Racecourse Side on Tuesday morning and booked her place in the Baileys-sponsored 1m 2f event when working well with her lead under Jason Tate.

Dunlop said: “I was very happy with her work this morning and we are aiming towards Ireland - the ground in France looks like being very soft for thePrix Vermeille.”

The Cape Cross mare was ridden by Frankie Dettori when coming out best in a cliffhanger with Alexander Goldrun in the Nassau Stakes last time and had previously been partnered to success this season by Olivier Peslier in the Prince ofWales’s Stakes when beating Electrocutionist by half a length. No jockey plans have been finalised at this stage but Jamie Spencer, who is likely to be in action at Leopardstown that day, could well enter the equation after riding her in the past in someof her work this spring.

Dunlop added: “We don’t know who rides her at this stage - we will just have to see how plans unfold.”

Red Evie will bid to make it a perfect seven for the season in the Group 1 Matron Stakes on the same card.

The daughter of Intikhab has been ridden by Jamie Spencer in four of her six victories this term but Frankie Dettori came in for the ride when she maintained her sequence with a half length defeat of Makderah in the Group 3 Oak Tree Stakes at Goodwood last month.

The Terry Neill-owned filly will work again in the morning but connections are keen to have a crack at the Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus- sponsored event. Trainer Michael Bell said: “She is in very good form and the season’s gone like clockwork for her. She is not the most exciting worker but does it on the track and the Matron would be the plan.”

Red Evie could clash with Soviet Song, who was beaten about three lengths when fifth of six to Caradak in the Celebration Mile at Goodwood.

Contrary to reports that the mare could be retired if not pleasing James Fanshawe in her work later this week, the trainer said: “She’s fine after the race - absolutely fine and has got various options. I am keen to run her again and provided I am happy with her she could run in either the Matron Stakes or the Sun Chariot Stakes at Newmarket.”

Also set for the race is the Mick Channon-trained Flashy Wings who has had a break since finishing second in the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot. The trainer said:"It took a while for her blood to get right but she's going well and worked great this morning. What we want is some genuine good ground for her.

"She'll have another bit of work next week which should put her spot on for the Matron."