Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Steve Byk

Default SWLY Setback; KNS All Set

Email to partners this morning updating Kickin N Screamin's progress towards Friday's start at Tampa and a pretty serious setback to the start of the 4yo campaign of Sumwonlovesyou... (If anyone didn't receive Email, please let me know...)

To Dee Tee Partners:

In a classic 'good news/bad news' scenario, we have a problem with Sumwonlovesyou and are sitting on 'go' with Kickin N Screamin...

SIDELINED 3-4 MONTHS

Sumwon was 'off' in her right front Thursday. A muscle or suspensory injury was suspected by Chuck Friday and confirmed with a scan.

Chuck explains:

Sumwonlovesyou sustained a torn muscle to her right front leg over the knee in the area of the superior check ligament. This was confirmed by ultrasound readings and x rays taken of the area after Sumwon walked lame after returning from a jog on Thursday. She is sound now but the injury is one that must be addressed with rest or it will worsen and she will be lame all the time.

We are probably looking at 3 months off with about 60 days or so on stall rest. Around the 20th of Febuary we will re-ultrasound the area to determine the progress. If it has healed sufficently then we will turn her out in a small paddock for three to four weeks before moving her to a larger paddock for the remainder of her recovery.

As this is a soft tissue injury, there is no surgery required and the chances for a complete recovery are good. Though the setback is disappointing the x-rays we did of her legs showed very little wear and tear on them which is a positive. She should be back on the track training in sometime in mid-April. As some of you may know I am working on opening an equine rehabilitation center that is designed exactly for injuries like this one. As the center progresses, we will utilize some of the technology available to assist her in her recovery.

KNS SHARP IN FINAL PREP

The good news is that Kickin N Screamin appears ready to carry the ball for the Lime and Royal with Sumwon on the bench... In her final prep for an anticipated start 12/28, KNS rolled home under Rosemary Homeister Jr. who came back pleased to have the mount on our Chester House daughter.

Chuck's thoughts:

Kickin n Screamin is ready to roll. She worked in 1:04.4, which may look slow at first glance, but she went her last quarter in 23 seconds and that is where she does most of her running. I spoke to Rosie afterwards and she was delighted with how well Kickin responded when called on and how well she galloped out.

TC reports that she recovered quickly and appears to be coming into the race on the 28th in excellent form. Entries are taken on the 12/26, so stay tuned on that day for the results of the draw. The race is scheduled for 1-1/16 miles on the turf, and if we get in the race, we will run even if Off the Turf (unless dangerously sloppy).

MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TO..

While the news on Sumwon is frustrating, injuries are a part of the game and we are lucky we got to this before it was a career-ending. Meanwhile, Kickin N Screamin is ready; Aldebutante and Rampillion are about to turn 2 and are progressing well in their training, so the advantages of having expanded the Stable now become obvious.

More in our Christmas Greetings Monday..
Old 12-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Newmarket

I know it's part of the game, but I'm still sad

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 12-23-2007, 08:33 AM
The Curragh

Wish the Big Girl a speedy recovery.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Dee Tee Stables

where will sumwon be spending the stall rest portion of her convalescence? sorry to hear that she has suffered an injury, but thankfully it is one that only requires time and patience!

best of luck to kickin, hope she gets in the race, and comes back well.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Sunshine Park

Very disheartening situation regarding SWLY, but atleast we know she won't be rushed back and all precautions will be taken by Chuck and Crew. This just shows us all about the ups and downs of the game. Although I don't own any part of KNS and the other 2 fillies, it will still be exciting to see KNS race and the other progress in training towards their first starts late next year. Best of luck to everyone.

Happy Holidays to all. Chuck and Steve - Thanks so much.

Brian
Old 12-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Fairgrounds

One of the best parts of this partnership is that there is never a question that the horse comes first. There are plenty of outfits who would have run her for a tag and cut their losses. I am proud to be a part of the DT stable.

Paul
Old 12-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Hollywood Park

Default Unfortunate but part of the game

To put things in perspective: The first filly i bought two years ago never made it to the races. The second filly i bought raced four times and then was retired as a 3YO. The third horse is a colt who is fine but won't get his first start until next April when he is a three year old.

I appreciate just getting a horse to the races.. I am sorry for the setback with Sumwon but early detection will help and hopefully she will be back and running again in the middle of next year....

PSH
Old 12-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Goodwood

"torn muscle"

Could've been a lot worse. You can't succeed in this game without a ton of patience. We are all lucky that Chuck and Steve will absolutely do what is right by the horse.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Hawthorne

I hope SWLY has a speedy recovery. Good luck to KNS this Friday.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Arlington Park

thanks to chuck and crew for catching it early! we know Sumwon is in good hands and gets the best of care.
be a good patient big girl.

now TC needs to have the DT "turf monster" reved up for friday.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Randwyck

Gotta love the optimism here. DeeTee does the right thing by SWLY ... brought her along slow, plenty of rest between starts, and a well deserved break. And the big gal gets hurt before her first real workout. Very frustrating.
This is definitely a game that requires a lot of patience and good fortune.

Best of luck to KNS.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Rampillion
I've seen 2 spellings - Rampallion and Rampillion. A technicality but we need to get this stuff straightened out .

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to all. Get well soon SWLY.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
I've seen 2 spellings - Rampallion and Rampillion. A technicality but we need to get this stuff straightened out .

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to all. Get well soon SWLY.
BW,

Was intended to be Rampallion.. got entered for registration as Rampillion.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
BW,

Was intended to be Rampallion.. got entered for registration as Rampillion.
Oops ... we can live with it . Have a great holiday Steve.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Randwyck

Get well Big gal.

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA
Old 12-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Santa Anita

Injuries are a part of the game. She'll be back this spring hopefully at 100%.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Get Well SWLY
Old 12-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Hollywood Park

Get well soon SWLY

Thanks Steve, Chuck and Crew for putting her first

Good luck to KNS on Friday
Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Keeneland

Well, Sumwon has to have another vacation - bet she's not happy about that at all! Sorry your big girl has to be placed on idle, Cherie!

We at least have KNS to look forward to, and the anticipation is already exciting

Quote:
Email to partners this morning updating Kickin N Screamin's progress towards Friday's start at Tampa and a pretty serious setback to the start of the 4yo campaign of Sumwonlovesyou... (If anyone didn't receive Email, please let me know...)
I didn't receive it.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Randwyck

Anyone know if it's still the 7th race?

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA