Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2014, 06:39 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
I hate to admit it, but I am actually enjoying it. He doesn't come across well but people would learn a lot about contest play by watching Helmers. The rest have no clue how to play, especially in live money events. I wish I had a dollar for every time Cox says that this contest isn't really his game or strong suit for sure and his betting is just comical.

With all of the flaws though, it is a pretty fair representation of what playing in a contest is like and it is fun to watch.

Paul
So you're saying betting a $3 TRI 6x5x7 with hopes of breaking even isn't the way to go?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach Luv View Post
So you're saying betting a $3 TRI 6x5x7 with hopes of breaking even isn't the way to go?
Pretty much. Although that is better than betting $100 to show on all horses like he did at Del Mar thinking it will move him way up the leader board.

Paul
Old 03-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Arlington Park

For a reality show this is real good stuff.

Christian Hellmers will change the rules of tournaments. And in that regard he is a force to be reckoned with.

The explanation given for trying to "team up" was for entertainment purposes. I'm of the opinion that it isn't a good look to show two of the more recognized tournament players plotting to team up to win a tournament.

That will scare the easiest of marks away.

The goal should be to entice as many people as possible. That way the jackpots can expand.

I don't expect any of this to actually happen.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
Pretty much. Although that is better than betting $100 to show on all horses like he did at Del Mar thinking it will move him way up the leader board.

Paul
His 6 x6xAll tri this week made me laugh. He did hit it for 10x the bet but 6K Trifectas are few and far between.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Fairgrounds

After 5 or 6 episodes it just feels like the same story in different venues. Not saying that learning about tournament play/strategies isn't fascinating...It is.

The Brooklyn cowboy's schtick gets old. He knows it all.

Beychock seems like a cool, aw-shucks type of guy.

Matt's role needs more attention in my opinion. Would have liked to have seen how he hooks up with the ex-governor's daughter after the day at Keeneland.

The father/son duo are fun to watch. But how many times will we see them slapping the programs, in perfect cadence, against their hands?

Conte is another one who hardly gets any play. His dry humor is terrific, as well as his old school approach. I'd love to sit at Don Pepe's with him and hear his countless stories. (all while schmearing the bread in the clams oreganata broth)

Helmers is the show. I get it. His tournament play is so unique and he resembles Brad Pitt.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Hawthorne

if i had the motivation
i would film a qualifer at my local otb and interview all characters and contestants it would be real raw and without the orchestration but it would be fkg hilarious
Conte is the show for me thats a horse player
christian is FOS i am sure he syndicated his bid at the boy toy auction
who with half a brain and an ounce of self respect does that
Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

I'm convinced Hellmers would've sold for way more at the bachelor auction if he didn't do that horrible imitation of the Dougie.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Cahokia Downs

I really like this show - would much rather watch this than just about anything else out there. Not sure if it really interests the non-horseplayer (based on the rest of my family's reaction) - but I find it enjoyable. Thought Luck was good too.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Flemington

I really enjoy the show. At first I didn't like Cox either, but truthfully he's good for the show. Nothing wrong having a guy that's douche/edgy at times. I respect Helmers play tremendously, but have to admit, that the whole zen/space cadet act wears thin on me at times. Lee & Rotunda Sr. seem like normal guys that you'd see and hang out with in an old NYC OTB. I also agree with ASU, I think Conte is hysterical and he just doesn't get enough play. I really have no feel about Beychok. But truthfully Bernier is probably my favorite for the reason that he's playing with the most realistic bankroll (or in my bracket). It's going to be interesting to see him near the lead in a cash tourney and quite possibly have to make a very large wager. As a person that has bankroll issues, this could pose a major issue for him.

Only thing that they don't do and I wish they would on occassion, is really zero in on the handicapping of a horse that someone likes or wants to toss. I would love to see their reasoning. Examples could be, Conte watching/showing us a replay of a horse that had a brutal trip and now is a bet back. Maybe Helmers tossing a odds on favorite, based on him getting a perfect trip on a speed biased track last out.

I have to admit, watching these guys struggle at time re-enforces to me how hard the game really is at times. Makes me feel a little better when I'm struggling.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Arlington Park

Christian Hellmers is a real life troll. Meaning that he presents himself in a manner which is off-putting to the masses. The effeminate sunglasses, the furry tail, the organic hand lotions, the shots of seaweed.

It's all a distraction that helps to rustle his competition. Notice that there's been multiple scenes of the other handicappers talking about him instead of handling their own business.

The reality is he's an excellent handicapper and the whole "woo woo" method of handicapping is just a front.

That is why he has star power. He's wonderfully different and that is needed for reality television.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
I really like this show - would much rather watch this than just about anything else out there. Not sure if it really interests the non-horseplayer (based on the rest of my family's reaction) - but I find it enjoyable. Thought Luck was good too.
I agree on both counts. Doesn't mean the ratings will come in though.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post
Christian Hellmers is a real life troll. Meaning that he presents himself in a manner which is off-putting to the masses. The effeminate sunglasses, the furry tail, the organic hand lotions, the shots of seaweed.

It's all a distraction that helps to rustle his competition. Notice that there's been multiple scenes of the other handicappers talking about him instead of handling their own business.

The reality is he's an excellent handicapper and the whole "woo woo" method of handicapping is just a front.

That is why he has star power. He's wonderfully different and that is needed for reality television.
Yeah I am sure he does more computing than "checking in with his subconscious and muscle tension."
Old 03-26-2014, 12:21 AM
Havre de Grace

that's actually not a bad approach. Your subconscious is why they say to sleep on it. When you're on a heater, it's your subconscious that is driving you to victory.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Only thing that they don't do and I wish they would on occassion, is really zero in on the handicapping of a horse that someone likes or wants to toss. I would love to see their reasoning. Examples could be, Conte watching/showing us a replay of a horse that had a brutal trip and now is a bet back. Maybe Helmers tossing a odds on favorite, based on him getting a perfect trip on a speed biased track last out.
Agree with this 100%. Very little education on why the guys like the horses they do. I'm sure they would be able to break it down for the viewer if asked.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Conte doesn't like to prepare!

It's like an Improv! And on Breeders' Cup day no less.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Goodwood

One thing I've been pleasantly surprised by is the actual reporting of the results. I figured they would make up the bets they put in- but the bets they showed for the BCBC yesterday were 100% legit. Hellmers really did have a $500 straight exacta on the JFT. He had some savers that were totalling about $250 but the main bet was that. And the guy that won had $4k on the nose of Ria Anotonia.

Kevin Cox needs to learn that a $1 tri box won't get it done in the BCBC. Even with a 32-1 shot. I'm shocked by the number of guys playing boxes, quite frankly.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 AM
The Curragh

Michelle Yu looking a bit fuller these days, I love her
Old 03-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
One thing I've been pleasantly surprised by is the actual reporting of the results. I figured they would make up the bets they put in- but the bets they showed for the BCBC yesterday were 100% legit. Hellmers really did have a $500 straight exacta on the JFT. He had some savers that were totalling about $250 but the main bet was that. And the guy that won had $4k on the nose of Ria Anotonia.

Kevin Cox needs to learn that a $1 tri box won't get it done in the BCBC. Even with a 32-1 shot. I'm shocked by the number of guys playing boxes, quite frankly.
Yeah, me too. Why not do tri part wheels, especially at that level? The odds of getting the three you need when you only bet those three are slim.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Santa Anita

Loving the show. Hope there is a season 2 and DVD releases.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
Yeah, me too. Why not do tri part wheels, especially at that level? The odds of getting the three you need when you only bet those three are slim.
Cox wasn't playing 3-horse trifecta boxes. If anything, a 3-horse box would be preferable because you could hammer it a bunch of times. Phil's point was that he's spreading too wide and playing $1 boxes, which will hardly ever produce the kind of score you need for tournament success.