Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-23-2008, 03:54 PM
SCUDSBROTHER's Avatar
SCUDSBROTHER SCUDSBROTHER is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A.
Posts: 11,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
He hit .467 in that postseason series with a .550 OBP, tough to bash him off that. His lifetime average also increases from .282 with the bases empty to .324 with RISP which would seem a good indication of clutch (compare to A-Rod who goes from .302 to .303 and Jeter who goes from .300 to .317). So not really sure why that would be a concern.
I don't remember the guy getting anything better than a single in the post against Boston. I guess I missed it. The Halos were pretty boring offensively in that series(this is the point.) Seems like a great fit for a Yanks organization that's been tanking in the post. I don't see him being a difference maker (not when it comes to their ultimate goal of getting a ring.)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-23-2008, 03:55 PM
declansharbor's Avatar
declansharbor declansharbor is offline
Hialeah Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Exit 30
Posts: 6,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
they can and will spend all they want .and still miss the playoffs.. too many stars in the line up means that if the team isnt a team..remember their is no 'i' in team..it will implode..
The biggest spender rarely wins it all. I'll gander a guess and say they make it to October, but fall short of the ultimate goal. I say this only because I hate Hank.
__________________
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-23-2008, 04:05 PM
SCUDSBROTHER's Avatar
SCUDSBROTHER SCUDSBROTHER is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A.
Posts: 11,326
Default

Teix had 1 rbi in that post. K, so fk that signing. It's stupid. You don't have to be that smart to see that a guy getting 1 rbi in the post is not the best signing for the purposes of getting a ring. I don't get it. I don't fear him in the post. I know who to fear in the post(ain't him.)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Cannon Shell's Avatar
Cannon Shell Cannon Shell is offline
Sha Tin
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 20,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Teix had 1 rbi in that post. K, so fk that signing. It's stupid. You don't have to be that smart to see that a guy getting 1 rbi in the post is not the best signing for the purposes of getting a ring. I don't get it. I don't fear him in the post. I know who to fear in the post(ain't him.)
He hit .467 tardo. RBI's are a terribly overrated stat simply because it is heavily tilted towards the ability of the men ahead of you in the order getting on base rather than your ability to drive them in. If no one is on when you get hits you cant get rbi's
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-23-2008, 05:31 PM
ateamstupid's Avatar
ateamstupid ateamstupid is offline
Super Mod.. and Super Fly
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 13,036
Default

It was one series, but Tex and Hunter were the only guys consistently on base in that series for the Angels.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Stickhorse's Avatar
Stickhorse Stickhorse is offline
Aqueduct
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bako
Posts: 638
Default

I hate the Yankees but wish my team would make the effort that they do. They have awful deep pockets. I doubt that the Yanks will spend $$$ on Manny now but stranger things have happened.

Yankees will make the playoffs unless both Burnett and Sabathia tank which is not too likely.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-23-2008, 07:29 PM
SCUDSBROTHER's Avatar
SCUDSBROTHER SCUDSBROTHER is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A.
Posts: 11,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He hit .467 tardo. RBI's are a terribly overrated stat simply because it is heavily tilted towards the ability of the men ahead of you in the order getting on base rather than your ability to drive them in. If no one is on when you get hits you cant get rbi's
Well, if a guy is on 1st base, you can't get an rbi with a single. That's what I am saying. You need extra base hits to score a guy from 1st. You're gunna pay this much money for a guy who had no extra-base hits in 20 at bats against Boston? His sole rbi was on a sac fly. Look how many times there is a guy on 1st, and Tex singled(extra base hit could of given team a chance for a run.) Look how many times in this series Tex gets a single, and Guerrero follows with a single. Those would have been run scoring situations if Tex had doubled. Here are his at bats with runners in scoring position:

game 2: guy at 3rd with 1 out...Tex gets Sac Fly(only RBI of the series)

game 3: guy at 3rd with 1 out...Tex strikes out(so clutch indeed)

game 3: runners on 1st n' 2nd with 2 outs..Tex grounds out(so clutch indeed)

game 3: runners on 1st n' 3rd with 2 outs: Tex grounds out(so clutch indeed)

game 4: runner on 2nd base with 2 outs..Tex walks(single would have been clutch..it's his job to get that run home..not leading is he?)

game 4: runners on 1st n' 3rd with 2 outs.....Tex struck out(so clutch..go home, watch others play )

So, you geniuses are paying all this cash to a guy who didn't get an extra base hit in the series. He only got 1 rbi in the series, and the reason for that is not as Canon tried to Snow you with(lack of opportunities.) No, the reason is because he came up with runners in scoring position 6 times, and failed to get them home in 5 of those 6 chances. He did not get a hit at all when runners were in scoring position. You can say he hit for a good average in the series, but he was not impactful. Can he be impactful in the post? I have never seen this guy as a clutch leader. If someone else leads, I think he may relax enough to pile on. So, if you want this contract to get the Yanks a ring, then you need an offensive post-season leader(ain't him.)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-23-2008, 07:52 PM
SCUDSBROTHER's Avatar
SCUDSBROTHER SCUDSBROTHER is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A.
Posts: 11,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He hit .467 tardo. RBI's are a terribly overrated stat simply because it is heavily tilted towards the ability of the men ahead of you in the order getting on base rather than your ability to drive them in. If no one is on when you get hits you cant get rbi's
In game 1, Andersen, Tex, and Guerrero hit .500(2 for 4,) and Hunter hit .666(2 for 3.) They got 1 run in the whole game. Why? Well, all 8 hits were singles. K? No extra base hits. Good way to lose in the post is to have your highly paid power hitters hit like your lead-off hitters.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-23-2008, 08:30 PM
SCUDSBROTHER's Avatar
SCUDSBROTHER SCUDSBROTHER is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A.
Posts: 11,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
It was one series, but Tex and Hunter were the only guys consistently on base in that series for the Angels.
6 times he had a chance to get a hit with men in scoring position. Didn't do it. 4 outs, a non-run-scoring walk, and a sac fly. When did he hit? He got singles n' walks with nobody on base, or with a runner on 1st base. He seems to be a good person, but that's causing people to overlook some things about him. If the goal is just to make the post, then o.k. I don't think he is ever gunna carry a team in the playoffs. For some reason, people must think he will. We have 20 at bats against Boston without an extra- base hit. To me, it's atleast 80 mil over his worth. I've never said anything about him, because he seems to be a decent person, and people like him. He had a great regular season, and a non-impactful post season. I'd look for a lil less productive regular season, and another non-impactful post season.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 12-23-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Cannon Shell's Avatar
Cannon Shell Cannon Shell is offline
Sha Tin
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 20,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
6 times he had a chance to get a hit with men in scoring position. Didn't do it. 4 outs, a non-run-scoring walk, and a sac fly. When did he hit? He got singles n' walks with nobody on base, or with a runner on 1st base. He seems to be a good person, but that's causing people to overlook some things about him. If the goal is just to make the post, then o.k. I don't think he is ever gunna carry a team in the playoffs. For some reason, people must think he will. We have 20 at bats against Boston without an extra- base hit. To me, it's atleast 80 mil over his worth. I've never said anything about him, because he seems to be a decent person, and people like him. He had a great regular season, and a non-impactful post season. I'd look for a lil less productive regular season, and another non-impactful post season.
He is still better than Garvey
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:58 PM
dalakhani's Avatar
dalakhani dalakhani is offline
Del Mar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington dc
Posts: 5,277
Default

Hal and Hank just don't understand. You don't spend that kind of money on pitching and then back it up with no defense.

Texiera is a good defensive first baseman and Arod is a gifted infielder playing out of position at third. Only the Yankees could have their two best defensive players playing at the positions where you probably need defense the least.

This is a terribly constructed team. Im a fan but this will end up very badly in regard to expectation. Its nice that the Steinbrenners want to spend the money but these rent a team championships rarely work. Only Florida in 1997 and Arizona in 2001 come to mind as teams that succeeded winning this way but those teams bought a little defense along the way.

Carlos Beltran would have signed for 15 million per in 2005. That seems like a serious bargain now. Now backing up our 25 million per pitcher we have a 33 yr old short stop, a 37 year old catcher, and an outfield that averages about 35 years old. And when our 292 pound pitcher loses wind in the 7th, we dont know who is going to pitch the 8th to get to our 37 year old closer.

Yes...some how this makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-24-2008, 03:06 AM
SCUDSBROTHER's Avatar
SCUDSBROTHER SCUDSBROTHER is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A.
Posts: 11,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He is still better than Garvey

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200811103672827

Wow...look at the last quarter of that interview. LOL, Irish American Hall of Fame? He still thinks oldtimers might put him in the real one? Just turned 60, and still does public appearances at Hooters sometimes ..LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Bigsmc's Avatar
Bigsmc Bigsmc is offline
Goodwood
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,577
Default

They're on tilt because the Rays....the f'ing Rays....buried them last year and the Old Man got reminded of it every morning when the Tampa Tribune hit his doorstep throughout the season.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Storm Cadet's Avatar
Storm Cadet Storm Cadet is offline
Gulfstream Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,154
Default

Baseball franchises,as pointed out yesterday on ESPN,are a business. The Yankees are a corporation just like IBM.

Their player salary is say 200 million and they bring in over 600 million from fans, radio, TV contracts etc. Their salaries are LOWER than last season.

So they pay MLB a lousy 25 mil in luxury tax,

I wish GM, Ford and all the other lousy companies we taxpayers are bailing out would run their business the way the Yankees do. And do you think all those owners who are taking the Yankees luxury tax profits are spending it on their team or lining their own pockets like AIG, Citibank, GM, JP Morgan?

Would you rather (and I know most Yankee haters would say yes) the Yankees go back to their days of spending 100 million on bums, get less than 1 million fans, be a non factor like the early 70's and most of the 80's with crickets as fans in Yankee Stadium. The place was as deserted as Aqueduct Racetrack is now!

I am a fan and want to see stars play here, why do you think they pack the Stadium every game? All of NY is like that as are most big market teams. Stars drive attendance which drives the profit margin which is what companies are supposed to do. NOT winning a Championship for 8 years HAS NOT made Yankee tickets any less desirable. Just try getting a seat this year. Almost impossible already. Ever try getting a spring training ticket for the Yankees? Already almost sold out. Ever try getting a good seat on the road to watch the Yankees? Hah, the other greedy owners who take the Yankees luxury tax and put it right into their pockets, circle the dates the Yankees come to town, as they do for the Red Sox. Hotels and restaurants are booked months in advance for the dates the Yanks come to town. Ask the other owners if they want the Yankees to go back to 1970 status when they had the Horace Clark's of the world playing for them.
__________________
The decisions you make today...dictate the life you'll lead tomorrow!

http://<b>http://www.facebook.com/pr...ef=profile</b>
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Cannon Shell's Avatar
Cannon Shell Cannon Shell is offline
Sha Tin
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 20,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Cadet
Baseball franchises,as pointed out yesterday on ESPN,are a business. The Yankees are a corporation just like IBM.

Their player salary is say 200 million and they bring in over 600 million from fans, radio, TV contracts etc. Their salaries are LOWER than last season.

So they pay MLB a lousy 25 mil in luxury tax,

I wish GM, Ford and all the other lousy companies we taxpayers are bailing out would run their business the way the Yankees do. And do you think all those owners who are taking the Yankees luxury tax profits are spending it on their team or lining their own pockets like AIG, Citibank, GM, JP Morgan?

Would you rather (and I know most Yankee haters would say yes) the Yankees go back to their days of spending 100 million on bums, get less than 1 million fans, be a non factor like the early 70's and most of the 80's with crickets as fans in Yankee Stadium. The place was as deserted as Aqueduct Racetrack is now!

I am a fan and want to see stars play here, why do you think they pack the Stadium every game? All of NY is like that as are most big market teams. Stars drive attendance which drives the profit margin which is what companies are supposed to do. NOT winning a Championship for 8 years HAS NOT made Yankee tickets any less desirable. Just try getting a seat this year. Almost impossible already. Ever try getting a spring training ticket for the Yankees? Already almost sold out. Ever try getting a good seat on the road to watch the Yankees? Hah, the other greedy owners who take the Yankees luxury tax and put it right into their pockets, circle the dates the Yankees come to town, as they do for the Red Sox. Hotels and restaurants are booked months in advance for the dates the Yanks come to town. Ask the other owners if they want the Yankees to go back to 1970 status when they had the Horace Clark's of the world playing for them.
Hey every good story must have a villan
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Cannon Shell's Avatar
Cannon Shell Cannon Shell is offline
Sha Tin
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 20,855
Default

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/fo...uch-silverware
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Cannon Shell's Avatar
Cannon Shell Cannon Shell is offline
Sha Tin
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 20,855
Default

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 AM
SniperSB23 SniperSB23 is offline
Hialeah Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 6,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Cadet
Baseball franchises,as pointed out yesterday on ESPN,are a business. The Yankees are a corporation just like IBM.

Their player salary is say 200 million and they bring in over 600 million from fans, radio, TV contracts etc. Their salaries are LOWER than last season.

So they pay MLB a lousy 25 mil in luxury tax,

I wish GM, Ford and all the other lousy companies we taxpayers are bailing out would run their business the way the Yankees do. And do you think all those owners who are taking the Yankees luxury tax profits are spending it on their team or lining their own pockets like AIG, Citibank, GM, JP Morgan?

Would you rather (and I know most Yankee haters would say yes) the Yankees go back to their days of spending 100 million on bums, get less than 1 million fans, be a non factor like the early 70's and most of the 80's with crickets as fans in Yankee Stadium. The place was as deserted as Aqueduct Racetrack is now!

I am a fan and want to see stars play here, why do you think they pack the Stadium every game? All of NY is like that as are most big market teams. Stars drive attendance which drives the profit margin which is what companies are supposed to do. NOT winning a Championship for 8 years HAS NOT made Yankee tickets any less desirable. Just try getting a seat this year. Almost impossible already. Ever try getting a spring training ticket for the Yankees? Already almost sold out. Ever try getting a good seat on the road to watch the Yankees? Hah, the other greedy owners who take the Yankees luxury tax and put it right into their pockets, circle the dates the Yankees come to town, as they do for the Red Sox. Hotels and restaurants are booked months in advance for the dates the Yanks come to town. Ask the other owners if they want the Yankees to go back to 1970 status when they had the Horace Clark's of the world playing for them.
The thing is, the Yanks are looking for a bailout just like those other companies in the form of a $450 million taxpayer subsidy for the construction of the new stadium. Yet unlike those companies who are giving off the public image that they are cutting back the Yankees are thumbing their nose at the taxpayers bailing them out. The city shouldn't give them their money and dare them to leave town. They'll never in a million years do it. The only reason you subsidize a stadium is if you believe the team will leave if you don't. Or if you're Rudy Giuliani and the Yanks will hire all your friends to work for them if you subsidize it.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Storm Cadet's Avatar
Storm Cadet Storm Cadet is offline
Gulfstream Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,154
Default

I'd rather give the Yankees the money and drive a Honda then to watch the Tokyo Giants and drive a GM
__________________
The decisions you make today...dictate the life you'll lead tomorrow!

http://<b>http://www.facebook.com/pr...ef=profile</b>
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 AM
alysheba4 alysheba4 is offline
Randwyck
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He hit .467 tardo. RBI's are a terribly overrated stat simply because it is heavily tilted towards the ability of the men ahead of you in the order getting on base rather than your ability to drive them in. If no one is on when you get hits you cant get rbi's
.......its not worth responding when there are fools that cant see this guy is a monster
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.