Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Aqueduct

Default hopefully an unfounded fear....

Pete Carroll has been a fantastic coach. His squad is always ready to play. The evidence of that is that after year one I don't think his team has ever lost by more than a TD.

My concern is that usually in the past the Trojans knew a win in their bowl would give them some sort of claim as #1. This year there is no way that can happen. I see them defeating the Nittany Lions but it could be a closer game than I would hope, simply because Penn St. will play their best game and USC might not.

Joe Pa is an excellent at getting his teams ready for bowls.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
I'm not a Trojan fan, but based on what they did to Ohio State and what PSU didn't do to OSU, I don't know how you can't lay the 10.
don't forget that usc is losing their OC and that offense has struggled at times. this can't help.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I'm not a Trojan fan, but based on what they did to Ohio State and what PSU didn't do to OSU, I don't know how you can't lay the 10.
I'm thinking that line floats upwards though come kickoff. Could see it from 13-15 IMO, but what do I know?
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 12-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
It's always a mistake to compare games like that. Look at what Texas Tech did to Texas and what Texas did to Oklahoma...how'd that work out for T Tech against Oklahoma?? Remember, OSU's best player did not play a snap at USC (Beanie Wells) and it was Pryor's first game playing major minutes and they had the brilliant idea of alternating plays every play with Pryor and Boeckman. OSU was a much better team when they played PSU. I don't put a whole lot of stock into USC beating OSU worse than PSU did, nor put much stock into PSU beating Oregon State much worse than USC did...actually USC didn't even beat Oregon State did they!!! So based on the OSU game, USC is 25 points better than PSU and based on the Oregon State game PSU is 37 points better than USC.

It's a waste of time to compare scores of common opponents when one plays at home and one on the road and certain players play or don't play etc...it's meaningless.

I think the line is probably about right and there would be sense in picking either team.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Gulfstream Park

Well, not long now till the nation's premier college football team is back in action.

Looking forward to another comfortable bowl victory over a very fine, albeit overmatched, PSU Nittany Lions squad...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator
Well, not long now till the nation's premier college football team is back in action.
You're right. January 8 is going to be awesome.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
You're right. January 8 is going to be awesome.
you're right Bigs (swallowing hard) the gators are very impressive.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Gulfstream Park

Your cleverness can't hide the TRUTH, Bigmac...

Southern Cal Trojans RULE!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator
Your cleverness can't hide the TRUTH, Bigmac...

Southern Cal Trojans RULE!
Havili is out for academic reasons! WTF?? Please tell me why a guy with that much on the line can't hit the books for a bit to stay out of trouble??
He really did a fine job running and catching the ball out of the backfield
Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Arlington Park

Default bcs has given us.......

......teams that had NO business getting bowl bids @ 7-5 or 6-6 and/or teams that haven't shown up. GT practiced for 3 weeks and didn't bother to show up for the game last night.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Dee Tee Stables

my father in law complained the other day (he's an arkansas fan) about lsu getting a bowl, that there are 'too many of the damned things'...funny, i don't recall him bitching when arkansas got that vegas bowl a few years back....he didn't seem to appreciate me saying so either.
whether they should have gotten a bid, i enjoyed watching the tigers play-and look forward to next year, with a more mature jordan jefferson at the helm. so....whether they deserved it or not, i was happy to catch them in action one more time before next fall. sue me.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Sha Tin

is it me or is this group of New Years day bowl games the most uninteresting you have ever seen? Outside of the Rose Bowl I have very little interest in any of them.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Dee Tee Stables

cincy/v tech seems like a yawner....i'm also very interested in the psu/usc game...that's about it.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:42 AM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
It's always a mistake to compare games like that. Look at what Texas Tech did to Texas and what Texas did to Oklahoma...how'd that work out for T Tech against Oklahoma?? Remember, OSU's best player did not play a snap at USC (Beanie Wells) and it was Pryor's first game playing major minutes and they had the brilliant idea of alternating plays every play with Pryor and Boeckman. OSU was a much better team when they played PSU. I don't put a whole lot of stock into USC beating OSU worse than PSU did, nor put much stock into PSU beating Oregon State much worse than USC did...actually USC didn't even beat Oregon State did they!!! So based on the OSU game, USC is 25 points better than PSU and based on the Oregon State game PSU is 37 points better than USC.

It's a waste of time to compare scores of common opponents when one plays at home and one on the road and certain players play or don't play etc...it's meaningless.

I think the line is probably about right and there would be sense in picking either team.
No way Beanie not playing mattered.
Ohio St. was crushed. Beanie would have been stuffed
just like their other running backs. The game was a blowout.

And making a 3 way comparison is not valid except your assessment of the Texas, TT, Oklahoma games are way off. If anyone really believes TT is a better team than Texas, the head needs to be examined. Texas played their worst game of the season and lost because a freshman DB dropped a lob interception. TT scored on the last play of the game to win at home. They dont win big games away in the Big 12. Oklahoma and Texas played a close game that got away at the end. TT is just not that good.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
......teams that had NO business getting bowl bids @ 7-5 or 6-6 and/or teams that haven't shown up. GT practiced for 3 weeks and didn't bother to show up for the game last night.
That was a grim performance.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
my father in law complained the other day (he's an arkansas fan) about lsu getting a bowl, that there are 'too many of the damned things'...funny, i don't recall him bitching when arkansas got that vegas bowl a few years back....he didn't seem to appreciate me saying so either.
whether they should have gotten a bid, i enjoyed watching the tigers play-and look forward to next year, with a more mature jordan jefferson at the helm. so....whether they deserved it or not, i was happy to catch them in action one more time before next fall. sue me.
Jefferson had a great game....will be fun to watch next year!

And we have to remember that the bowls help make cash for the conferences
and keep the majority of college football junkies like me happy
Old 01-01-2009, 12:19 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
is it me or is this group of New Years day bowl games the most uninteresting you have ever seen? Outside of the Rose Bowl I have very little interest in any of them.

I was just going to post the same and think the ratings will bear this out perhaps this apathy on new years day is the first of the necessary set backs for the bucks of college football that will finally move a limited tourney toward reality
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
I was just going to post the same and think the ratings will bear this out perhaps this apathy on new years day is the first of the necessary set backs for the bucks of college football that will finally move a limited tourney toward reality
I'll 2nd it too. Rose only one worth watching (although the MSU-GA game's tied at end of 1st quarter).
Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
That was a grim performance.
south carolina just put on an embarrassing display too.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
ratings will be better than you think based on the last week.colin cowherd was readin the tv rating for bowl week so far. 5 of the top 8 have been bowl games. one game got a 5 which was higher than the world series and the nba any night.

i agree most of the match-up are uninteresting. i'm a college football junkie and i'm more disgusted by the piss-poor play! lsu has been the best looking team i've seen so far.