Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Didnt the Sixers make it to the NBA finals with Iverson?
Didnt they lose in 5?

and I still say they dont make it had they not traded for Mutombo and get clutch contributions from teh likes of George Lynch and Tyrone "the Black Skeletor" Hill.

His shot selection was/is PISS poor and he never drove the ball and kicked it out until his last year here. teams knew that so they never gaurded the perimeter when he drove. He's a great defender and is money from the stripe, but overall he will NEVER get a ring. Isnt that what they practice and play for, besides the money of course?

He cared more about his cronies and his loud a$$ moms more than dedicating himself to making the team better.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Thistley Downs

Don't try to make sense with Dala....it's too stressful.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Thistley Downs

Hey..Dala.

Be Ann Coulter to me tonight because this is it for me...last chance.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor
Didnt they lose in 5?

and I still say they dont make it had they not traded for Mutombo and get clutch contributions from teh likes of George Lynch and Tyrone "the Black Skeletor" Hill.

His shot selection was/is PISS poor and he never drove the ball and kicked it out until his last year here. teams knew that so they never gaurded the perimeter when he drove. He's a great defender and is money from the stripe, but overall he will NEVER get a ring. Isnt that what they practice and play for, besides the money of course?

He cared more about his cronies and his loud a$$ moms more than dedicating himself to making the team better.
Mutombo was a mere shadow of his former self by the time he was traded to the sixers for what amounted to Theo Ratliff. You are bringing up Tyrone Hill and George Lynch as his supporting cast and then criticizing for "only" getting to the NBA championship and losing to Kobe and Shaq? Philly is a tough town.

I guess it was Stockton's fault Utah didnt win a championship? Or was it Malone's? Was it Barkley's fault he couldnt win in Philly or Phoenix? Ewing's fault he couldnt win one in New York? Reggie Miller's for Indiana? Jason kidd's for New Jersey?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Mutombo was a mere shadow of his former self by the time he was traded to the sixers for what amounted to Theo Ratliff. You are bringing up Tyrone Hill and George Lynch as his supporting cast and then criticizing for "only" getting to the NBA championship and losing to Kobe and Shaq? Philly is a tough town.

I guess it was Stockton's fault Utah didnt win a championship? Or was it Malone's? Was it Barkley's fault he couldnt win in Philly or Phoenix? Ewing's fault he couldnt win one in New York? Reggie Miller's for Indiana? Jason kidd's for New Jersey?
Or was it your failure to comprehend the sarcastic emoticon??

He will go down as a great player. A great me first player. A great ring-less, me first player.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Or was it your failure to comprehend the sarcastic emoticon??

He will go down as a great player. A great me first player. A great ring-less, me first player.
In your book maybe. I think if he had someone to pass it to, he would have. I think his failure to win a ring in philly is more of an indictment on Philly management than on AI's ability as a player. The teams they surrounded him with were terrible.

Lots of great ringless players out there so i guess he is in good company. Winning a ring takes a lot of luck. Iverson just wasnt very lucky. Maybe he gets lucky one of these years as he is winding down his career in a smaller role.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
?

LOL...how much better could he have made that "team"? They went to the NBA finals. With Todd Macclough logging major minutes, did you actually expect them to win it all?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
I know you arent saying that Iverson is a better defender than Chauncey Billups.

Are you?
Where could you have gotten that from what I wrote? He's not in the same league as a defender as Billups is.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 11-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Thistley Downs

Yet another reason this is a Pistons blunder.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Thistley Downs

She probably is Ann Coulter.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
That could be it, I can't stand either of them.

And Kev, I used to feel the same about Kobe and Eddie Griffin too as i was live for a few hs games of theirs, but that soon wore off and Kobe quickly became an enemy.

AI is no doubt talented, but you can not build a winning team concept around him. Once he left here, we tapped into some potential that went unused for some time and began playing like a team.
This is beyond ridiculous. In 1999, they made it to the East semis. In 2000, they did again, going to game six. In 2001, they made it to the NBA finals, with the best record in the East. In 2002, they took Boston to a deciding game in the first round of the playoffs. In 2003, the lost the division title by a game and took the Pistons to six games in the East semis. What the hell have they done since Iverson has been gone? Started playing like a team? A team that can't finish .500 and barely gets a sniff of the playoffs? You'd rather have that than going deep into the conference playoffs or making it to the NBA finals? LOL at tapped into potential that went unused for some time. And did WHAT with it? NOTHING. This post actually made me mad. Like him or hate him but know what the hell you are talking about. Please. Have some basis of truth in what you say.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Thistley Downs

I agree ,KG..outrageous.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
Yet another reason this is a Pistons blunder.
This is NOT a pistons blunder.

Dumars gets little credit for the wonderful job that he has done with the pistons. The job he did building that championship team was amongst the finest in NBA history.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
This is NOT a pistons blunder.

Dumars gets little credit for the wonderful job that he has done with the pistons. The job he did building that championship team was amongst the finest in NBA history.
By ANOTHER...I meant ...well now I forgot.

Let me check back and then I will finish.

ANN.

OK..I didn't say another.

I see what I meant. The fact he also got a point guard who is much less the defender than the one traded away...on a team built on defense......makes it all that much more a blunder.

I made no comment as to his past team building.

This is so like you,ANN.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Thistley Downs

Ann is getting her pus.sy SSSSSSSSSSSSSO HOT!! before she responds to me.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
This is beyond ridiculous. In 1999, they made it to the East semis. In 2000, they did again, going to game six. In 2001, they made it to the NBA finals, with the best record in the East. In 2002, they took Boston to a deciding game in the first round of the playoffs. In 2003, the lost the division title by a game and took the Pistons to six games in the East semis. What the hell have they done since Iverson has been gone? Started playing like a team? A team that can't finish .500 and barely gets a sniff of the playoffs? You'd rather have that than going deep into the conference playoffs or making it to the NBA finals? LOL at tapped into potential that went unused for some time. And did WHAT with it? NOTHING. This post actually made me mad. Like him or hate him but know what the hell you are talking about. Please. Have some basis of truth in what you say.
Simply put, yes. I want a team that will get better together by learning from each other, not a team that relies on one me first, superstar player. This team assembled now is in a much better position to grow and make some real noise in the immediate future than any Sixer team he has ever played on. That is what we as fans want. We want the guys who fulfill their obligations and actually practice, and thrive to make each other more complete players. Not guys that just show up every night to pad their own stats and care more about their box score than teh betterment of the team. (He's not exactly the guy I want shooting the ball when the game is on the line either, but that could just be me though. I want a guy that can shoot over defenders outstretched hands without the fade away, a low percentage shot)

Okay King, sorry I ruffled your feathers ...I've been a lifelong fan of the 76ers and have watched them relentlessly for years. I should have purveyed my statements as opinions, and that is where I lie in fault here. I have a clear disdain for the guy, and I shouldnt have let that put the blinkers on all of his phenominal career accomplishments. He is a GREAT talent, and that will not go overlooked. He is one of the greatest 'small man' talents to ever play the game and is a shoe in for a trip to Springfield on his first ballot of eligibility. With that said, he's just not the easiest of great players to build a winning team around and sustain a few years of success with. Put him on the Lakers last year in Kobe's place and do they even make the playoffs? I think not, but could be wrong. Take Peirce off of the Celts and fill him with in with AI, do they win it all? Its hard to say, as I dont think that Peirce is a better player than AI, I just think he would have messed up the chemistry of the team. I'm sure I'll catch some guff for that, but its my opinion and we're all entitled to one, just as anyone that read your posts knows.

My OPINION is that the Sixers are ALOT better off moving forward without him, then with him. Sure, when you lose a superstar like AI, there is going to be some sort of fallout/regression. In the LONG RUN, they will be a better team without him. These young kids will develop a rapport with guys like Brand and Andre Miller, where as they would have played second fiddle to AI and his sometimes comical shot selection. (I swear thats where Iggy got it from ) They will begin to gel with each other now, grow as a TEAM, as opposed to sitting back and watching AI do his thing night in and night out. That's all I can ask for, for now, and think that this year is when the growth will become visible.

I'll probably get ripped for it, but so be it. That's where I stand on the Sixers with and without the great AI. To me, there is no right or wrong answer/opinion to the discussion of the state of the Sixers, at least for a few years. We will have to wait and see on these post-AI Sixers, see how they fare. I also think that the future is more of a bright one with Stefanski at the helm instead of Billy King, and that can add to as to why they may take an anticipated step forward.

PS... I am eager to see how Roscoe and Prince benefit from/adjust to the acquisition. It makes the East a bit more interesting for sure.

- Nathan Israel
Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
By ANOTHER...I meant ...well now I forgot.

Let me check back and then I will finish.

ANN.

OK..I didn't say another.

I see what I meant. The fact he also got a point guard who is much less the defender than the one traded away...on a team built on defense......makes it all that much more a blunder.

I made no comment as to his past team building.

This is so like you,ANN.
You're missing the point though Mortimer. What the Pistons got back in the trade is largely immaterial in regards to the grand scheme. The point of the trade was NOT to win a championship this year and NOT to win a championship with Iverson...ever. He was traded for his expiring contract and to get rid of the bad contract of billups which still has four years left on it.

Now... if they somehow happen to gel and they are in contention (highly, highly unlikely) then this trade becomes that much more wonderful. But if not, they are in great position with the cap and they continued rebuilding without getting absolutely awful.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
You're missing the point though Mortimer. What the Pistons got back in the trade is largely immaterial in regards to the grand scheme. The point of the trade was NOT to win a championship this year and NOT to win a championship with Iverson...ever. He was traded for his expiring contract and to get rid of the bad contract of billups which still has four years left on it.

Now... if they somehow happen to gel and they are in contention (highly, highly unlikely) then this trade becomes that much more wonderful. But if not, they are in great position with the cap and they continued rebuilding without getting absolutely awful.

Oh but I didn't. I don't know what Dumars is thinking,but I did say that he just played the team down 2 notches this year with this trade.

I also said taking a step backward to go 2 forward is not a bad idea.Whether they do that or not is still in question,but this trade insures the Pistons will not do as well as last year.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Oh but I didn't. I don't know what Dumars is thinking,but I did say that he just played the team down 2 notches this year with this trade.

I also said taking a step backward to go 2 forward is not a bad idea.Whether they do that or not is still in question,but this trade insures the Pistons will not do as well as last year.
I think that was ensured with or without this trade. This was an aging team ripe for serious regression.

Yes, they locked up Hamilton today which was smart. No free agent would come without at least a semblance of a nucleus in place. They are building around stuckey, hamilton and prince in the short run and their pitch to a free agent would be that he could come in and be an instant superstar on a winning team.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Thistley Downs

They will fail to do so this season....and I believe nothing guarantees their future.

All they have done is make it possible to get the right players...now they have to do that.A lot harder to do.

There's no brilliance involved here that I can see. In fact..this year could well be a disaster.