Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
One huge problem for tribe
Angels=Krod
Red Sox=Papelbon
Yankees=Mariano
Injuns=Closer Joe

Which doesn't belong?
Well obviously closer Joe...he's the only one way above 40 saves!!! As the die-hard Cleveland fan, I will tell you dishonestly, when Borowski enters with a one run lead I do not sweat, I do not swear, and I have no doubts whatsoever!!
Old 09-29-2007, 02:31 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
Well obviously closer Joe...he's the only one way above 40 saves!!! As the die-hard Cleveland fan, I will tell you dishonestly, when Borowski enters with a one run lead I do not sweat, I do not swear, and I have no doubts whatsoever!!

How can you lie to Uncle Chuck like that!!!! Shame on you!!

The Yanks will plow through Cleveland in 4 gleeful for not having to play the Angels while the Halo's watch Lackluster lose in Fenway yet again and what are we left with yet again!!!!!

Sox and Yanks in the American League Final .....plain and simple!!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

now that would be a sweet alcs!!!!!!!! but it cant top the last time ever.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Say what u want about the guy. Talk about his playoff history all u want. But he's currently at .314, 54 homers, 156 rbi and 143 runs scored. Throw in 24 steals for good measure. Truly one of the outstanding seasons in the history of the game.

In the history of baseball, here are the seasons for guys with 50 homers, 140 rbi and 140 runs:

Sosa, 2001..........64 hr, 160 rbi, 146 runs
Ruth, 1927...........60, 164, 158
Ruth, 1921..........59, 171, 177
Foxx, 1932...........58, 169, 151
Greenberg, 1938.....58, 146, 144
Wilson, 1930.........56, 191, 146
Ruth, 1928............54, 142, 163
Rodriguez, 2007......54, 156, 143

So there have only been six guys and eight performances. He's only the third guy in the last 70 years. He's one of only four guys to hit 50+ homers in three different seasons, along with Ruth, Sosa and McGwire.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine

Last edited by King Glorious : 09-30-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Sha Tin

Cleveland is a dangerous team that looks a lot like the Tigers of last year. Have a strong lineup, good defense, especially in the outfield when Sizemore and Lofton are playing together, dangerous power guy in the middle of the lineup in Hafner and a really clutch catcher in Martinez (though he is not a good defensive catcher and has been hurt). They have two very good starters and a pretty good bullpen with a shaky closer.

LA seems to banged up (Vlad especially) to make a strong run. They do have very strong top of the rotation in Lackey, Escobar and Weaver. If they can move Saunders to the bullpen that would help them quite a bit as they have been struggling with the exception of Krod. But they struggle to score and without a healthy Vlad the struggle will not be any easier.

NYY have been winning with the big lineup. Arod has been unbelievable and most of the lineup has been playing well including Cano and Posada. The starters stilll are shaky and they need Wang to come through. Pettite has always been a tough pitcher but Clemens and Mussina are really shaky and Hughes has not been sharp. The bullpen has been much better since the elimination of Proctor and emergence of Joba. Interesting to see if they adjust the Joba rules in an important spot. Mariano is clutch as always though he is not nearly as untouchable as he once was.

BoSox have playoff tested pitching staff and top closer. Okjima being hurt does not help and they need big innings from Gagne. If Ortiz and Ramirez are healthy enough to play everyday, the lineup will be just fine. If JD Drew ever wakes up out of his decade long slumber, the Sox will be tough to beat.

Cannon Shell picks

BoSox over LA 3-1
Cleveland over Yankees 3-2

BoSox over Cleveland 4-2
Old 09-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Randwyck

I don't post much anymore, but I had to in response to Cannon Shell. I agree Clemens and Mussina are shaky propositions (for different reasons: I trust Clemens to pitch well IF he's healthy........problem is, he's not), but Hughes has been absolutely terrific lately. He's got a 2.73 ERA in his last 5 starts. Most Yankee fans want Hughes to start over Moose, and I agree (although this kid will be even better next year and you never know what a rookie will do in the post-season). Moose just has nothing.

Overall, the Yankees are better than the Indians, IMO. They've played the best ball for the last 4 months and they've already beaten the Indians. They also know how to win on the road.

I respect the Indians a lot, however. The best 4 teams in baseball are all in the AL.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
I don't post much anymore, but I had to in response to Cannon Shell. I agree Clemens and Mussina are shaky propositions (for different reasons: I trust Clemens to pitch well IF he's healthy........problem is, he's not), but Hughes has been absolutely terrific lately. He's got a 2.73 ERA in his last 5 starts. Most Yankee fans want Hughes to start over Moose, and I agree (although this kid will be even better next year and you never know what a rookie will do in the post-season). Moose just has nothing.

Overall, the Yankees are better than the Indians, IMO. They've played the best ball for the last 4 months and they've already beaten the Indians. They also know how to win on the road.

I respect the Indians a lot, however. The best 4 teams in baseball are all in the AL.
Maybe the best 6

Logic would dictate a Yankees seleection but if Wang gets roughed up I think the Yanks are in trouble.

And Hughes has played his last 6 games against Tampa 2 times, the BlueJays 2 times, the O's and Mariners. Not exactly murders row. He also is obviously on a pitch count which limits him to 100 or so pitches. The fact that he is usually at the limit in the 5th or 6th inning makes him a shaky prop in my eyes.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Maybe the best 6

Logic would dictate a Yankees seleection but if Wang gets roughed up I think the Yanks are in trouble.

And Hughes has played his last 6 games against Tampa 2 times, the BlueJays 2 times, the O's and Mariners. Not exactly murders row. He also is obviously on a pitch count which limits him to 100 or so pitches. The fact that he is usually at the limit in the 5th or 6th inning makes him a shaky prop in my eyes.
After what happened in the Tigers series last year, I guess I can't be TOO confident, lol. The Yanks have hit Carmona twice this year and their history against C.C. is pretty darn good.....albeit, they haven't faced him in a couple of years. Yanks and Indians had a pretty good rivalry going back in the late 90's, so this should be a fun series (of course, it will only be fun if my Yankees win).

May as well enjoy the Mets collapse though - this is going to be fun in NY. I just feel badly for Willie, who will always be a Yankee to me.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
After what happened in the Tigers series last year, I guess I can't be TOO confident, lol. The Yanks have hit Carmona twice this year and their history against C.C. is pretty darn good.....albeit, they haven't faced him in a couple of years. Yanks and Indians had a pretty good rivalry going back in the late 90's, so this should be a fun series (of course, it will only be fun if my Yankees win).

May as well enjoy the Mets collapse though - this is going to be fun in NY. I just feel badly for Willie, who will always be a Yankee to me.
Betsy.......You are pathetic.

Typical Yankee fan arrogance.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Flemington

Quote:

F the Mets(especially the cocky show-off shortstop.)That guy must have choked pretty hard.He is their catalyst,but they weren't scoring today or Friday.I'm surprised they didn't get it done.Wouldn't have taken much for them to have held on. I won't miss them.Where are the PADS-ROCKS playing?TOMKO hit hard wall when faced with a team that can hit.Colorado is hot(13 out of 14,) but PADRES are one of the most mentally tough teams in baseball.....TOUGH CALL.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
How can you lie to Uncle Chuck like that!!!! Shame on you!!

The Yanks will plow through Cleveland in 4 gleeful for not having to play the Angels while the Halo's watch Lackluster lose in Fenway yet again and what are we left with yet again!!!!!

Sox and Yanks in the American League Final .....plain and simple!!

You certainly are.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
What did she say that was incorrect? I hate the Yankees and the Mets even more. No need to get nasty because your team just had one of the all time greatest chokes......EVER
Yes.....They certainly did.

Thank you for putting me in my place.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifecta124
Betsy.......You are pathetic.

Typical Yankee fan arrogance.
Nice mature response - I know you were one of the ones to call WFAN and relish in the Yankees' early season misery..........and that is precisely why I am enjoying this. I can't count the number of Met fans who called in to gloat and say how the Yankees were done. Well, now it's come back to bite them in the fannies. Go take this to the bank - teams LOVE to beat the Mets because they showboat. Even Met announcers have stated this fact - they are not a likeable team. LOL and they thought they took back NY earlier this year............NOT, and not with Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain with the team to stay.

Every team has choked before and the Yankees did it in 2004, not exactly something they should be proud of as they let the Sox come all the way back and win it on their home turf. Does that thought make you feel better? I didn't think so.

Last edited by Betsy : 09-30-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Thistley Downs

Betsy...

...get lost.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
Betsy...

...get lost.
(blank) you, Mortimer. I post once on this board in ages and you take out your misery on me? Loser
Old 09-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Nice mature response - I know you were one of the ones to call WFAN and relish in the Yankees' early season misery..........and that is precisely why I am enjoying this. I can't count the number of Met fans who called in to gloat and say how the Yankees were done. Well, now it's come back to bite them in the fannies. Go take this to the bank - teams LOVE to beat the Mets because they showboat. Even Met announcers have stated this fact - they are not a likeable team. LOL and they thought they took back NY earlier this year............NOT, and not with Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain with the team to stay.

Every team has choked before and the Yankees did it in 2004, not exactly something they should be proud of as they let the Sox come all the way back and win it on their home turf. Does that thought make you feel better? I didn't think so.
Nice Mature response.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:

What you say has some truth to it. I do not like the Jose Reyes dancing after every hit. I have been saying for a long time that he should tone that nonsense down. However, plenty of players on the yankees showboat. A-Rod loves to do his little bat flip after a home run. Jaba better be careful with his fist pumping after striking someone out on the Devil Rays when the game means nothing. It also amazes me how all of a sudden every Yankee fan loves A-Rod when last year at this time they all wanted to run him out of town.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
(blank) you, Mortimer. I post once on this board in ages and you take out your misery on me? Loser

Once in ages is too much.

Either lengthen the ages or just skip the rest of this millenium.

Where were you anyway?....out romping the fields with the Riccola Brothers?

Hey...it's rhetorical.....don't bother.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Thistley Downs

Boy...the old fossil can get nasty..aye?