Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Default 100+

With the big beyers recorded by this years 3yrolds.are we seeing a better groupe than last year? Are the big numbers just window dressing for a normal group chasing the roses?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Saratoga

I am actually curious how many 3 year olds have gone above 100 on the synthetics, I don't think many have, but I could be wrong
Old 03-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

But I thought this was a lousy crop!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Keeneland

I simply can't take Beyer, Rags, Thorographs as anything close to objective comparison gospel anymore.

They are all simply best highly educated guesses, adjusted for the experience and impression of the formulator.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I am actually curious how many 3 year olds have gone above 100 on the synthetics, I don't think many have, but I could be wrong
Zensational (at 6 furlongs) & Pamplemousse are the only two I believe.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Coach Pants

I'm worried about Pamplemousse crossfiring in the derby.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Aqueduct

Gulfstream has been at it's current configuration for three years now. I think there is a large enough sample size to come up with legit par figures. Oaklawn, Fair Grounds have been the same for a long time.

As far as the So. Cal tracks I would like to see a larger sample to get a true fig. The Proride surface was installed last summer at Santa Anita so we're working with 3+ months of data of info. I don't think that's enough info.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Aqueduct

So far it appears that generation of 3 year olds have more talented horses than last years 3 year olds. Pioneer of The Nile, The Pamplemousse look like they have quality. How they run on dirt is the $64,000 question. East of the Mississippi Old Fashioned, Dunkirk, Quality Road, and a number of others look like they are strong runners with bright futures.

On good result of a down economy at least in terms of lower stud prices is some of these quality horses, who turn out to be strong runners contunue on a race as 4 year olds.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Flemington

Which is the bigger question? Whether P'MOUSSE n' POTN can run on dirt, or whether the top 2 in the Fountain of Youth can do as well going 2 turns at a different dirt track?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Which is the bigger question? Whether P'MOUSSE n' POTN can run on dirt, or whether the top 2 in the Fountain of Youth can do as well going 2 turns at a different dirt track?
Since I've already decided that POTN is a turf horse and that The Pamplemousse will run well on dirt, the question about the FOY runners stretching out is more important.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Good question but one that I'm not smart enough to answer.
Baffert has shipped east in the past but a number of people have mentioned that since the horse is doing so well out west they'll stay out west until the first Saturday in May. I doubt Canani ships The Pamplemouse until late April.

Jim Jerkens is said to be leaning towards the Wood but might run in the FLA Derby instead. As long as he can settle in and not run rank and finish well I think Quality Road will be able to run two turns. Jojo looks like a good closing one turn horse. That might be what he is best at. I'm sure he'll stretch out in the next six weeks and we'll see if he can finish the same going two turns as we does going one turn.

So far the Derby picture is unclear but it looks like there are a few horses who have ability. The next six weekends should be very interesting and should lead into a great Triple Crown trio of races. The Gotham which I'd like to make the trip down to The Big A looks like it might be a productive race. Mr. Fantasy is 2 for 2 and stretches out for the first time. He destroyed two fields of NY breds but Mr.Fantasy is not bred like a true NY bred. Imperial Council is nominated for the Gotham and he could be a top runner.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick4
So far the Derby picture is unclear but it looks like there are a few horses who have ability.
There are more than a few.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Sheepshead Bay

With the imprssive MSW and 1st level alowance winners, could we have a problem getting the 20 best in the gate at CD. Stakes money could be even more important as far as excluding a true contender other than just a hopeful runner?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindew
Since I've already decided that POTN is a turf horse and that The Pamplemousse will run well on dirt, the question about the FOY runners stretching out is more important.
i wonder if the pamplemousse thinks he'll run well on dirt. seriously, you can't know til he tries. til then, it's a mental exercise with no real answer.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i wonder if the pamplemousse thinks he'll run well on dirt. seriously, you can't know til he tries. til then, it's a mental exercise with no real answer.
No, he'll run on dirt.

It is so ordered.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindew
No, he'll run on dirt.

It is so ordered.
lol
hey, maybe he will.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Aqueduct

In addition to seeing the top contenders running a handful of races the horses with strong ProRide/ Polytrack/ Cushion Track add another question mark to the mix on Derby Day.

Horses have been successful moving from the So Cal tracks to dirt tracks. Of the two top So Cal contenders I prefer The Pamplemousse. He runs more like a dirt horse as he just goes to the front and runs his race. Now when he's matched up on May 3rd against a few sprinters who have no business running in the Derby yet are because they can will be be comfortable getting dirt kicked in his face while running in a pack of horses? Pioneer of The Nile runs more like a grass horse but his style could be benefitical if the pace of the Derby is insane and the race falls apart.

There are MORE than a few horses who look like they have talent in this crop and hopefully we can enjoy the preps and the banter of who is for real or not up till the Derby. I'll be at the Belmont on Stake Day regardless if a TC is on the line. I just hope Belmont day is not as hot and humid as it was last year.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Oaklawn

Default 100+

It's early yet, when all the contenders start carrying 120+ lbs around 2-turns going at least 1 1/8 preps then we'll see who is serious horse for classic races. Remember you know who that really did'nt show up till Florida Derby last year ?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjcom
It's early yet, when all the contenders start carrying 120+ lbs around 2-turns going at least 1 1/8 preps then we'll see who is serious horse for classic races. Remember you know who that really did'nt show up till Florida Derby last year ?
Smooth Air?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Smooth Air?
maybe i got the wrong prep i'm not going to mention his name(BB)