Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM
pgardn

Default The Beanman Wells

will not play for the Ohio tree seeds.

Will Pillow take the 10.5 that rises to 13 and who
will he take. Or does he stay away. Anyone may answer.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i'll be cheering on usc. has nothing to do with betting or anything, i just hate ohio state...a traditional penn state fan, and the buckeyes are a traditional rival. so, must explain my visceral response to all things OSU.
two weeks running of no lsu-the hell with worrying over gas prices, i want my football!
Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i'll be cheering on usc. has nothing to do with betting or anything, i just hate ohio state...a traditional penn state fan, and the buckeyes are a traditional rival. so, must explain my visceral response to all things OSU.
two weeks running of no lsu-the hell with worrying over gas prices, i want my football!
I don't think Penn State and Ohio State are rivals.

I grew up in Ohio and went to Penn State. Penn State's rivals for about 40 years were Pitt and West Virginia...well, Pitt. West Virginia considered Penn State a rival but they never won. Ohio State's rival is Michigan...period. Considering we've been in the Big 10 for what...15 years now and have won a grand total of 2 Big 10 titles in football I think?? '94 and '05 are the only two I remember...as much as it pains me to say...2 titles in 15 years really makes us a rival with no one. In essence since joning the Big 10 in football, PSU has one less title or co-title than Northwestern. We've been a top 10 team only 4 times since joining the big 10 in those 15 years...3 of them were more than 10 years ago. PSU has been an unranked team as many times as a top 10 team since joining the big 10...4. OSU's won 4 Big 10 titles since Tressel got there in 2001 with 5 top 10 rankings in those 7 years.

PSU is a superb and famous football program...but it's been quite lean pickings in the big 10 outside those 1994 and 2005 seasons. Hopefully we can beat OSU this year, but I'm not counting on it. To further illustrate...in their first 5 years in the big 10, PSU never finished worse than 3rd. In the last 10 years the only time they've finished better than 4th in conference was in 2005. I love Paterno...but it's a pretty troubled program right now. Maybe this will be one of their few really good years...pretty early to say though.

IN essence, my point is that PSU is nowhere good enough to be considered a rival with Ohio State.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
I don't think Penn State and Ohio State are rivals.

I grew up in Ohio and went to Penn State. Penn State's rivals for about 40 years were Pitt and West Virginia...well, Pitt. West Virginia considered Penn State a rival but they never won. Ohio State's rival is Michigan...period. Considering we've been in the Big 10 for what...15 years now and have won a grand total of 2 Big 10 titles in football I think?? '94 and '05 are the only two I remember...as much as it pains me to say...2 titles in 15 years really makes us a rival with no one. In essence since joning the Big 10 in football, PSU has one less title or co-title than Northwestern. We've been a top 10 team only 4 times since joining the big 10 in those 15 years...3 of them were more than 10 years ago. PSU has been an unranked team as many times as a top 10 team since joining the big 10...4. OSU's won 4 Big 10 titles since Tressel got there in 2001 with 5 top 10 rankings in those 7 years.

PSU is a superb and famous football program...but it's been quite lean pickings in the big 10 outside those 1994 and 2005 seasons. Hopefully we can beat OSU this year, but I'm not counting on it. To further illustrate...in their first 5 years in the big 10, PSU never finished worse than 3rd. In the last 10 years the only time they've finished better than 4th in conference was in 2005. I love Paterno...but it's a pretty troubled program right now. Maybe this will be one of their few really good years...pretty early to say though.

IN essence, my point is that PSU is nowhere good enough to be considered a rival with Ohio State.
oh, i know the pitt/penn st game is HUGE. but i would say penn st and osu are rivals, even tho for the last several years psu hasn't had nearly a good enough program to compete.
but the redkins are in the same boat, but they are still most definitely rivals with the cowboys.
but i was saying i figured it had to be my psu roots that explained why i hate osu-if they're really not rivals, it's no biggie. but i still hate them!!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Arlington Park

i'd like usc to Crush osu, so they will be gone from the NC picture.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Flemington

This USC team is like a Todd Pletcher stable at it's best...

They are deep and loaded with potential strong talent in virtually every position. This isn't their best team as far as talent at the skill positions - or overall game expierience - but reading how athletic and well regarded there players are - it has to be their best team...and it's a team who will only get better as the year gets longer as they are less immune to injuries because if one goes down ... a near equal fills in.

It's totally unfair on paper. They have to beat themselves to lose to anybody - especially as the season drags on.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:10 AM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I'm not sure what he's doing, but I am making a big bet on Ohio State. I'm going to see what the lines does from this point, until tomorrow night, but anything around 11 is good enough for me.
Some Las Vegas lines have it 12.5 now
Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Randwyck

been a s.c fan for the past 35 years, i would have to say....11 is too many points to give to a great defense.......lets remember, this isnt virginia here.... i see a 24-20 trojan victory.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Coach Pants

Leave it to DrugS to make me throw up a little in my mouth.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Flemington

I was just baiting to see if I really did make the iggy list ...

It would have been one of my finest moments of Epicocity had I.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Coach Pants

Old 09-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba4
been a s.c fan for the past 35 years, i would have to say....11 is too many points to give to a great defense.......lets remember, this isnt virginia here.... i see a 24-20 trojan victory.
I'm an OSU grad and I see the same thing. Should be a close game that comes down to whomever gets the ball last. 2 excellent defenses means the game should be tight, which makes taking the points (up to 13.5 from what I've heard on tv) the correct bet. I'd like to see OSU win, but if had to bet the game outright, I'd say 17-14 USC.
Should be a defensive struggle, but if it comes down to QB.... Boeckman makes too many bad decisions.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkniska
I'm an OSU grad and I see the same thing. Should be a close game that comes down to whomever gets the ball last. 2 excellent defenses means the game should be tight, which makes taking the points (up to 13.5 from what I've heard on tv) the correct bet. I'd like to see OSU win, but if had to bet the game outright, I'd say 17-14 USC.
Should be a defensive struggle, but if it comes down to QB.... Boeckman makes too many bad decisions.
Could this be the true breakthrough game for Pryor? If he is half as good as he is supposed to be, and 1/100000th as good as he THINKS he is, this is the time to step up...
Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALostTexan
Could this be the true breakthrough game for Pryor? If he is half as good as he is supposed to be, and 1/100000th as good as he THINKS he is, this is the time to step up...
that's the one very interesting thing... I know OSU's got a bunch of scripted plays for when Pryor's in, that they have not run yet.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Uh no. It would be a horrendous mistake to feed him to the wolves this early in the season.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Coach Pants

Ohio State is just dreadful. Thank you USC for putting these clowns out of the national title race.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Ohio State is just dreadful. Thank you USC for putting these clowns out of the national title race.
Not so fast my friend.

They may be bad,
BUT when they are in the Big 10 title
hunt, and the mighty Michigan Wolverines
stand in their path to the National Championship
game... yes indeed.

There will be excitement in the Big 10 Network
booth dont ya know.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Not so fast my friend.

They may be bad,
BUT when they are in the Big 10 title
hunt, and the mighty Michigan Wolverines
stand in their path to the National Championship
game... yes indeed.

There will be excitement in the Big 10 Network
booth dont ya know.
the only team in the TERRIBLE 10 that has a shot at osu is psu, if they play?
if the voters have any sense they will not vote for osu and save us all another beat down in the NCG.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Uh no. It would be a horrendous mistake to feed him to the wolves this early in the season.
I completely disagree. This game reminded me so much of the Texas game a few years ago at Columbus. When Troy Smith was in, OSU was a completely different team, yet Tressel continued to go with Justin Zwick in that game.

Tonight, instead of leaving Pryor in the game, where Ohio State at least had a chance, although not much of one, Tressel continued to play Boeckman, who was a complete disgrace.

Pryor did a decent job tonight, and with him in all of the time Ohio State could have at least made an effort at a game, although there was nothing, and I repeat nothing, that would have given Ohio State a win tonight.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
I completely disagree. This game reminded me so much of the Texas game a few years ago at Columbus. When Troy Smith was in, OSU was a completely different team, yet Tressel continued to go with Justin Zwick in that game.

Tonight, instead of leaving Pryor in the game, where Ohio State at least had a chance, although not much of one, Tressel continued to play Boeckman, who was a complete disgrace.

Pryor did a decent job tonight, and with him in all of the time Ohio State could have at least made an effort at a game, although there was nothing, and I repeat nothing, that would have given Ohio State a win tonight.
You wait and completely disagree after the fact? He did look the best of any OSU player but that isn't saying much.

Ohio State had no chance with him being the starting QB. None. Nada. Zilch.