Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default NBA Off season

Ok so as expected, James has opted out of his deal. What happens next? My leading guess is that Wade and Bosh do the same and the Heat gets Anthony. If that doesn't happen, I think it's Houston or possibly the Clippers. Can anyone tell me why Philly is not a good choice? They have the space to get James and Anthony and adding those two to a team with Carter-Williams and Noel, along with two top ten picks, would instantly make that team the heavy favorite in the East. If Cleveland or Milwaukee takes Embiid, that means Philly could add Parker or Wiggins. If. Parker and Wiggins are gone, Philly would be a great team to take a shot with Embiid cause they could bring him along very slow. Maybe add a guy like McDermott with the 10th pick. What is it that I'm missing with this Philly scenario?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Del Mar

How about trading one of those picks in a package for Love?

Starting five:

carter Williams
LeBron
Carmelo
noel
Love

No? could they make the cap space work?

Last edited by dalakhani : 06-25-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: adding thought about cap space
Old 06-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Ok so as expected, James has opted out of his deal. What happens next? My leading guess is that Wade and Bosh do the same and the Heat gets Anthony. If that doesn't happen, I think it's Houston or possibly the Clippers. Can anyone tell me why Philly is not a good choice? They have the space to get James and Anthony and adding those two to a team with Carter-Williams and Noel, along with two top ten picks, would instantly make that team the heavy favorite in the East. If Cleveland or Milwaukee takes Embiid, that means Philly could add Parker or Wiggins. If. Parker and Wiggins are gone, Philly would be a great team to take a shot with Embiid cause they could bring him along very slow. Maybe add a guy like McDermott with the 10th pick. What is it that I'm missing with this Philly scenario?
Well, for starters, we're Philadelphia, and $hit like this doesn't happen to us.

I've been saying "why not us" for the Lebron Sweepstakes since MCW emerged onto the scene early on in the season. All I ever hear as an answer is "we're too small of a market" (which grinds my gears).

This truly is a "make or break" moment for the 10,9,8,76ers. We need to walk away from the draft tomorrow (where we have 1/10th of the league's picks) with two studs. I don't care what "they" say, I want one of the top 3 guys with the 3rd overall pick and I would love any of Smart, McDermott, Stauskas, or Gordon with the 2nd first round pick.

Fingers crossed.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

That's a pretty hilariously bad deal the Mavericks just made for Tyson Chandler and Raymond Fatman. Why would they give up both Calderon and Larkin? Oh and two picks in the deepest draft since 2003!

Last edited by ateamstupid : 06-25-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Hialeah Park

http://grantland.com/features/nba-dr...t-repick-1995/

LOL'd at the Thabeet reference in his rankings system.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 06-25-2014, 10:30 PM

Houston has traded Asik.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 PM

I think the James odds are:

Miami with Melo 2/5
Houston 6/1
LA Clippers 10/1
Dallas and Philly 12/1
Miami w/o Melo 20/1
Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Because James isnt going to put his future in the hands of a rookie who faded pretty badly towards the end of the season last year, and non-existent bench and Noel's knee.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
How about trading one of those picks in a package for Love?

Starting five:

carter Williams
LeBron
Carmelo
noel
Love

No? could they make the cap space work?
They'd need to trade Thad Young and both picks to get love. That would leave them extremely thin with a huge question mark in Noel's knee. IMO this has no chance of happening but if it did I could see James and Bosh coming as opposed to getting Love. I'd rather see them have CW, James, Carmelo, Bosh, Noel, Young and some combination of Smart-Exum-Stakukus-McDermott-Harsis with the 4th pick.

I have no idea if they could do this with cap space since LeBron, Bish and Carmello would all be asked to take less than max.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
That's a pretty hilariously bad deal the Mavericks just made for Tyson Chandler and Raymond Fatman. Why would they give up both Calderon and Larkin? Oh and two picks in the deepest draft since 2003!
They are trying to contend right away while Dirk is still standing. While fatboy was pretty horrible last year he'd be in a backup role here and Chandler is a far better player than Dalambert. The picks are 2nd rounders which are longshots and won't likely help right away which is what they are playing for. The jury is still out on whether Larkin can play especially since that pretty nasty injury. I mean they have to give up something for Chandler
Old 06-26-2014, 02:26 AM

I think pretty highly of Carter-Williams. I think he's more of a guy that can handle the ball than he is a natural point guard. Having guys like Melo and James there would get him much better looks and cut out a lot of the bad shots. He's already a pretty decent defender. I feel like he'd be a huge upgrade from Cole and Chalmers. I doubt even you would disagree with me that Anthony would be an upgrade over Wade at this point. So the question is would you rather have Anderson and Bosh or Noel and Embiid? I'd take the latter. I think lowest projections would say Noel and Embiid could get you 20-15 and the potenti is there for more. Bosh and Anderson already have hit their ceilings. At worst, Noel and Embiid could anchor the defensive middle. At best, you may be looking at 25-30 and 20 boards. Carter-Williams can guard the point guards and shooting guards and so he and James could be interchangeable. With that 10th pick, go out and try to draft a shooter. A guy like McDermott may be available and he and Young alone make for a better bench than Miami has.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:32 AM

My thinking is that if Anthony goes to Chicago, they become the favorites in the East just like that. With the way Wade is fading fast, Miami has a hard time staying above Indiana. James could go West and if he joined either Houston or the Clippers, that team becomes the favorite in the West but the road is still tougher than the East. Short of Anthony coming to Miami, the best chance of James making repeated trips to the finals is if he and Melo joined up in Philly.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:33 AM

Unless......the Heat can be in play for Gasol and maybe Lowry.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Houston has traded Asik.
Now this is a woefully bad trade. What is New Orleans thinking? The pick is only top 3 protected or past 19 which is highly unlikely NO will be that bad or that good. While adding Asik is a good basketball move per se, the cost to get him is extremely high considering the strength of the West and the unlikely chance that they are anything but 1st round fodder even if they make the playoffs.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:41 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I think pretty highly of Carter-Williams. I think he's more of a guy that can handle the ball than he is a natural point guard. Having guys like Melo and James there would get him much better looks and cut out a lot of the bad shots. He's already a pretty decent defender. I feel like he'd be a huge upgrade from Cole and Chalmers. I doubt even you would disagree with me that Anthony would be an upgrade over Wade at this point. So the question is would you rather have Anderson and Bosh or Noel and Embiid? I'd take the latter. I think lowest projections would say Noel and Embiid could get you 20-15 and the potenti is there for more. Bosh and Anderson already have hit their ceilings. At worst, Noel and Embiid could anchor the defensive middle. At best, you may be looking at 25-30 and 20 boards. Carter-Williams can guard the point guards and shooting guards and so he and James could be interchangeable. With that 10th pick, go out and try to draft a shooter. A guy like McDermott may be available and he and Young alone make for a better bench than Miami has.
Embiid isnt going to get you anything this year which matters. The lesson of San Antonio isnt lost on James I'm sure. It isnt just a "big 3" that matters, teams have to have depth as well especially since james is looking to reduce regular season minutes. Plus who knows if he has any faith in the Sixers coach as well? While I don't have any idea what will hapen I can guarantee that James is not going to go into any question mark situations
Old 06-26-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
They are trying to contend right away while Dirk is still standing. While fatboy was pretty horrible last year he'd be in a backup role here and Chandler is a far better player than Dalambert. The picks are 2nd rounders which are longshots and won't likely help right away which is what they are playing for. The jury is still out on whether Larkin can play especially since that pretty nasty injury. I mean they have to give up something for Chandler
Also, they still have space to go after James or Anthony. Either might be a long shot but I think Chandler makes them more attractive. Worst case is they are a little better than last year and then Chandler's deal is off the books next year when Love and Aldridge are free agents.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
My thinking is that if Anthony goes to Chicago, they become the favorites in the East just like that. With the way Wade is fading fast, Miami has a hard time staying above Indiana. James could go West and if he joined either Houston or the Clippers, that team becomes the favorite in the West but the road is still tougher than the East. Short of Anthony coming to Miami, the best chance of James making repeated trips to the finals is if he and Melo joined up in Philly.
Chicago has to do a lot of maneuvering to get Anthony. Just don't see that happening. I keep seeing Anthony to Houston in a sign and trade for Harden. Harden and Anthony are not compatible because essentially they are the same guy.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Embiid isnt going to get you anything this year which matters. The lesson of San Antonio isnt lost on James I'm sure. It isnt just a "big 3" that matters, teams have to have depth as well especially since james is looking to reduce regular season minutes. Plus who knows if he has any faith in the Sixers coach as well? While I don't have any idea what will hapen I can guarantee that James is not going to go into any question mark situations
From what I've read, Embiid is out 4-6 months which would put him back on the court come December or January.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Also, they still have space to go after James or Anthony. Either might be a long shot but I think Chandler makes them more attractive. Worst case is they are a little better than last year and then Chandler's deal is off the books next year when Love and Aldridge are free agents.
Yeah I dont see it as a bad deal for Dallas. They traded a redundant guy in Calderone, Chandler makes them better defensively right away and his deal is short term. The other pieces are just throw-ins for cap space reasons and the Knicks needing live, cheap bodies.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:48 AM

No way is Houston trading Harden for Anthony. The only way is if they also sign James. Chicago doesn't have to do much to make the room.