Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Hialeah Park

Default For all the Big Brown Boneheads

For all of you convinced this is some sort of superhorse, please fork over $31.50 and buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Champions-Perf...1429919&sr=1-3

I promise it will be the best $31.50 you ever spend. For anyone else on here that doesn't have this but might not be drinking the Big Brown brainwashing brew it is a steal for $31.50.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
For all of you convinced this is some sort of superhorse, please fork over $31.50 and buy this:

I promise it will be the best $31.50 you ever spend. For anyone else on here that doesn't have this but might not be drinking the Big Brown brainwashing brew it is a steal for $31.50.
I'll ignore the bonehead part. Are you remotely open to the fact that he could become a superhorse? He has had five career races? What more does he need to prove through the five races? Obviously how he does in The Belmont factors in. He may not be a Super horse but I wouldn't count him out yet.

Maybe people including myself are excited for Big Brown because we would like a Triple Crown winner for this sport.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerDoc
I'll ignore the bonehead part. Are you remotely open to the fact that he could become a superhorse? He has had five career races? What more does he need to prove through the five races? Obviously how he does in The Belmont factors in. He may not be a Super horse but I wouldn't count him out yet.

Maybe people including myself are excited for Big Brown because we would like a Triple Crown winner for this sport.
not me.

i just ordered it elsewhere for $60.00. can't wait to read the chapter on big brown.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:

Just how many more races do you think he's going to run?

And how many races does it take to become a superhorse?

And why don't you post under your main account?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

You just confessed you don't know what a Beyer is in another thread. You're either a troll or completely clueless on what a superhorse is. Either way buy this book and it will be the best $31.50 you can spend.

I have no interest in a TC winner for a bunch of money hungry owners, a cheating trainer, a horse that had no real 2yo campaign, no 4yo campaign, and did nothing amazing as a 3yo outside of beating up on a crappy crop. Call me crazy but to ask for one of these expectations to be filled for the first TC winner in 30 years doesn't seem too much to ask.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:

What, exactly, is a superhorse? I thought it was a phrase that people in the mainstream media who know nothing about racing use to describe whatever horse they heard of most recently.

One can be both excited about Big Brown having a shot at the TC, and skeptical about how good he actually is. I don't think you have to be one or the other.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Lincoln Fields

And why don't you post under your main account?[/quote]

This is the only account I have. What do you mean?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
You just confessed you don't know what a Beyer is in another thread. You're either a troll or completely clueless on what a superhorse is. Either way buy this book and it will be the best $31.50 you can spend.

I have no interest in a TC winner for a bunch of money hungry owners, a cheating trainer, a horse that had no real 2yo campaign, no 4yo campaign, and did nothing amazing as a 3yo outside of beating up on a crappy crop. Call me crazy but to ask for one of these expectations to be filled for the first TC winner in 30 years doesn't seem too much to ask.

Not a troll at all. Just not as advanced as the majority it seems. I like Big Brown because he was so impressive at Fl. Derby so I've picked him twice. Both $200 bets to win in The Derby and Preakness in which I won $480 and under $50 respectively. Maybe I am a "moron" for making the Preakness bet, but I felt very confident he would win. It makes me enjoy the race knowing there is a little action on it. Even if he lost, big deal, it is $200. I can afford it so why does that make me a moron. I guess I can take some of my Big Brown winnings and buy the book

One other point is we are talking about how good Big Brown is or isn't? I know it is important to want to like the owners or trainers and while they are suspect, let's not let that take away from Big Brown (who is the one actually competing). He shouldn't be penalized because of his connections being suspect.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Aqueduct

Champions: The Lives, Times, and Past Performances of the 20th Century's Greatest Throughbreds is book every serious horse racing fan should have.

I don't have the updated edition but the the original tells just as good of story of the way horseracing was. Comparing todays horses to the greats from years past is pointless. The breed is not the same. The owners are of a different breed too. In many cases the insurance cost of running your horse outweigh the financial benefits of running the horse. Today horse racing's establishment races to breed when in years past it was the opposite.

Big Brown is on the cusp of winning one of the most elusive prizes in sports today. The only other Triple Crown that might be harder to achieve is Major League Baseballs TC. I think it was Carl Yastrzemski who was baseballs last Triple Crown winner and that was in 1967, and he played in Fenway Park. If Big Brown wins the Belmont he should be considered a great horse because he will have accomplished a great feat that many others have tried to accomplish but came up short.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick4
Champions: The Lives, Times, and Past Performances of the 20th Century's Greatest Throughbreds is book every serious horse racing fan should have.

I don't have the updated edition but the the original tells just as good of story of the way horseracing was. Comparing todays horses to the greats from years past is pointless. The breed is not the same. The owners are of a different breed too. In many cases the insurance cost of running your horse outweigh the financial benefits of running the horse. Today horse racing's establishment races to breed when in years past it was the opposite.

Big Brown is on the cusp of winning one of the most elusive prizes in sports today. The only other Triple Crown that might be harder to achieve is Major League Baseballs TC. I think it was Carl Yastrzemski who was baseballs last Triple Crown winner and that was in 1967, and he played in Fenway Park. If Big Brown wins the Belmont he should be considered a great horse because he will have accomplished a great feat that many others have tried to accomplish but came up short.
Agree 100% except for the baseball analogy.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Agree 100% except for the baseball analogy.
I agree. MLB's hitting Triple Crown is even harder to accomlish than horse racings Triple Crown.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Not a troll at all. Just not as advanced as the majority it seems. I like Big Brown because he was so impressive at Fl. Derby so I've picked him twice. Both $200 bets to win in The Derby and Preakness in which I won $480 and under $50 respectively. Maybe I am a "moron" for making the Preakness bet, but I felt very confident he would win. It makes me enjoy the race knowing there is a little action on it. Even if he lost, big deal, it is $200. I can afford it so why does that make me a moron. I guess I can take some of my Big Brown winnings and buy the book

One other point is we are talking about how good Big Brown is or isn't? I know it is important to want to like the owners or trainers and while they are suspect, let's not let that take away from Big Brown (who is the one actually competing). He shouldn't be penalized because of his connections being suspect.
The owners and trainers are extraneous factors. If we are going to have another Triple Crown winner then let it be a horse that wowed as a 2yo or 4yo or a horse that has showed some amazing ability at 3. In the absence of all of those then let them at least have a likable owner or trainer. This horse goes 0 for 5 and it is why I think he's the exact wrong horse to break the 30 year slump on TC winners (and probably why he will).
Old 05-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
I agree. MLB's hitting Triple Crown is even harder to accomlish than horse racings Triple Crown.
The same argument you originally make also should be factored in to baseball regarding a different era.

In today's era the players are juiced and the baseballs are juiced. They either hit home runs or strike out. Today's players are not built to hit for averages. Just the long ball.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
The same argument you originally make also should be factored in to baseball regarding a different era.

In today's era the players are juiced and the baseballs are juiced. They either hit home runs or strike out. Today's players are not built to hit for averages. Just the long ball.
It's not a different era compared to the past five years in horse racing! For a baseball player to win the Triple Crown in Big Brown fashion would be to hit .311 with 35 HRs and 110 RBIs. A nice season but hardly TC worthy.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
It's not a different era compared to the past five years in horse racing! For a baseball player to win the Triple Crown in Big Brown fashion would be to hit .311 with 35 HRs and 110 RBIs. A nice season but hardly TC worthy.

And if Big Brown wins Belmont as impressively as I predict he will, then it is more like

.362 BA
58 HRS
155 RBIs

Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year 2008
Old 05-22-2008, 05:25 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:

Oh My. I don't need to buy the book to cheer for him on June 7th.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

affirmed, sixteen wins.
slew, fourteen wins.
secretariat, sixteen wins

wake me up when big brown hits double digits.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
What, exactly, is a superhorse? I thought it was a phrase that people in the mainstream media who know nothing about racing use to describe whatever horse they heard of most recently.

One can be both excited about Big Brown having a shot at the TC, and skeptical about how good he actually is. I don't think you have to be one or the other.

thank you, thank you, a million times over.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsoxfan
Oh My. I don't need to buy the book to cheer for him on June 7th.
I guess you'll get the book after the race and still have $8.50 left.....
all kidding aside, it's a great book to have, I have the first edition and at this price it's a steal.
As far as BIG Brown, it's still 16 days to go to the race.....anything can happen...Pat, don't count on the wager just yet!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Hickory Hill Hoff : 05-22-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

you're right. i'll rank him right up there with omaha....maybe sir barton. but definitely not with war admiral, citation, secretariat, affirmed or slew. or even count fleet. hell, i think i'd even put assault ahead of him, as well as gallant fox and whirlaway.

speaking of past winners, 10 of the 11 had more starts at two then big brown has had in his career.