Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Del Mar

OK I give! I would have been better saying high school vs. college or pro as I believe he could not even make the high school team. My point was simply when horses at 3 retire there's alot of potential improvement we never get to see.

Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
You said he "wasn't that great". I'd say hitting the game-winning shot in the national championship as a freshman and being the consensus player of the year as a junior is pretty great.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerDoc
Not pompous. Like several other "pompous" veterans on here that seem to feel like they can be ignorant to people who don't know as much. I admit it, I am not close. I came on here to learn and have received very rude welcoming by a few with thousands of posts. I asked legitimate questions and received some ugly responses. Danzig took a quote of mine and trying to make a mockery of it.
no, she was arguing passionately about what makes a great horse, and you fired back calling her post the most assinine, and now you complain about people being rude? you didn't help your cause any with that remark.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
OK I give! I would have been better saying high school vs. college or pro as I believe he could not even make the high school team. My point was simply when horses at 3 retire there's alot of potential improvement we never get to see.

Spyder
I gotcha. Your analogy was accurate and well taken, I was just saying that Jordan was the wrong example.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
mighty pompous for a guy that on another thread confessed to not knowing what beyers are.
I think he said he didnt know what bayers are not beyers
Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
no, she was arguing passionately about what makes a great horse, and you fired back calling her post the most assinine, and now you complain about people being rude? you didn't help your cause any with that remark.
Then why does she constantly put my quote up at the end of all of her posts in that thread?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Then why does she constantly put my quote up at the end of all of her posts in that thread?
i don't know, ask her.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
No horse on drugs can be considered a super horse , imo.

I remember reading something awhile ago saying that the whirlaway connections would put a little ball of heroin on his tongue before his races.

You really think only "modern" horses are drugged??
Old 05-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Del Mar

Fitting link:

http://www.sirbacon.org/4membersonly/docellis.htm

Detail of Dock Ellis pitching a no hitter on acid:

What's weird is that sometimes it felt like a balloon. Sometimes it felt like a golf ball. But he could always get it to the plate. Getting it over the plate was another matter entirely. Sometimes he couldn't see the hitter. Sometimes he couldn't see the catcher. But if he could see the hitter, he'd guess where the catcher was. And he had a great catcher back there. Jerry May. You could make mistakes with him, and he would compensate. He'd know if he called for a curveball, he could look at the follow-through of your arm and see if you were gonna hang it. So he'd get ready to slide and block. Also, he had this reflective tape on his fingers that was by far the easiest thing to see.

Ellis had no idea what the score was, and he knew he'd been wild--he ended with eight walks, one hit batsman and the bases loaded at least twice--but here it was, bottom of the seventh, and he was still in the game.
The hardest part was between innings. He was sure his teammates knew something was up. They had all been acting strange since the game began. Solution: Do not look at teammates. Do not look at scoreboard. Must not make eye contact. His spikes--that's what he concentrated on. Pick up tongue depressor, scrape the mud, repeat. Must. Clean. Spikes.
Sometime in the fifth or sixth, he sensed someone next to him. Looking. He turned. It was rookie infielder Dave Cash.
"Dock," Cash said. "You've got a no-hitter going."
Cash, apparently unaware of the (insanely well-known) superstition that a pitcher never talks about a no-hitter until it's complete for fear of jinxing it, was immediately piled upon by several outraged teammates. Ellis, meanwhile, looked at the scoreboard.
H What's weird is that sometimes it felt like a balloon. Sometimes it felt like a golf ball. But he could always get it to the plate. Getting it over the plate was another matter entirely. Sometimes he couldn't see the hitter. Sometimes he couldn't see the catcher. But if he could see the hitter, he'd guess where the catcher was. And he had a great catcher back there. Jerry May. You could make mistakes with him, and he would compensate. He'd know if he called for a curveball, he could look at the follow-through of your arm and see if you were gonna hang it. So he'd get ready to slide and block. Also, he had this reflective tape on his fingers that was by far the easiest thing to see.
Ellis had no idea what the score was, and he knew he'd been wild--he ended with eight walks, one hit batsman and the bases loaded at least twice--but here it was, bottom of the seventh, and he was still in the game.
The hardest part was between innings. He was sure his teammates knew something was up. They had all been acting strange since the game began. Solution: Do not look at teammates. Do not look at scoreboard. Must not make eye contact. His spikes--that's what he concentrated on. Pick up tongue depressor, scrape the mud, repeat. Must. Clean. Spikes.
Sometime in the fifth or sixth, he sensed someone next to him. Looking. He turned. It was rookie infielder Dave Cash.
"Dock," Cash said. "You've got a no-hitter going."
Cash, apparently unaware of the (insanely well-known) superstition that a pitcher never talks about a no-hitter until it's complete for fear of jinxing it, was immediately piled upon by several outraged teammates. Ellis, meanwhile, looked at the scoreboard.
Huh.
Yeah.
After the eighth, during which he'd watched outfielder Matty Alou snag an almost certain base hit, Ellis walked off the field and looked Cash straight in the eye. "Still got my no-no!" Ellis declared. uh.

Yeah.
After the eighth, during which he'd watched outfielder Matty Alou snag an almost certain base hit, Ellis walked off the field and looked Cash straight in the eye. "Still got my no-no!" Ellis declared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
I remember reading something awhile ago saying that the whirlaway connections would put a little ball of heroin on his tongue before his races.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32

That is very interesting..because I thought I saw Cigar smoking a crack-pipe before the Pacific Classic...
Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
if you go to user cp, and click on signature, you can save something that will always be on the bottom of your posts. some have links to myspace, etc. i put yours up, as it helped me keep your thoughts in perspective as to where you're coming from.

sorry that it offended you, so i took it down. as for my nine thousand posts, i've been here since the board began, several years ago. takes time to rack up those posts-but since you've just gotten here, perhaps you don't know how much history is involved with some posters here.

but i did agree with you as far as comparing big brown to afleet alex-for what that's worth.

as for flinging insults almost immediately upon joining, that speaks to your manners, not mine.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
if you go to user cp, and click on signature, you can save something that will always be on the bottom of your posts. some have links to myspace, etc. i put yours up, as it helped me keep your thoughts in perspective as to where you're coming from.

sorry that it offended you, so i took it down. as for my nine thousand posts, i've been here since the board began, several years ago. takes time to rack up those posts-but since you've just gotten here, perhaps you don't know how much history is involved with some posters here.

but i did agree with you as far as comparing big brown to afleet alex-for what that's worth.

as for flinging insults almost immediately upon joining, that speaks to your manners, not mine.
You have 9,000 posts because you're unable to just let people like RollerDoc sputter away.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Just curious to how people feel. If Big Brown were to win the Belmont by 20 lengths in 2:29 3/5, how would you feel afterwards? Glad to finally have a TC winner or extremely upset that it had to happen this way?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Just curious to how people feel. If Big Brown were to win the Belmont by 20 lengths in 2:29 3/5, how would you feel afterwards? Glad to finally have a TC winner or extremely upset that it had to happen this way?

Guess it all really depends on what his Beyer is!!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious

How I feel would probably depend on who runs second.

I am just looking forward to the race. If he wins, that'll be great and I could care less who his owner is or that his trainer has had more suspensions than most.

I also won't care that 95% of the experts will say he beat nothing. They all said the same thing about Seattle Slew. If Brown wins the race and people don't take time to appreciate the accomplishment, then they can wallow in their overly self-righteous indignations. Then they can wait another 30 or 100 years for the next undefeated TC winner to come along.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:20 PM
The Curragh

The horse has done everything that has been asked of him and has overcome some serious adversity in the process....winning from the outside at Gulfstream was something that he supposedly was not going to do...winning the KD from post 20 in his 4th lifetime start was supposedly something that he was not gonna do...coming back on 2 weeks rest in the Preakness was possibly going to be his undoing... I realy believe that more than a few are unable to put aside their dislike for Dutrow and/or IEAH and give the horse appropriate credit.
... also, being juiced does not explain his performances cause if BB is being juiced with something illegal and undetectable then it seems pretty damn likely that he would not be the only one on that juice...
oh and I guarantee ya there were a few boneheads that thought that the red colt of Lucien Laurens was good enough to beat Onion a few years back

Last edited by Payson Dave : 05-22-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
How I feel would probably depend on who runs second.

I am just looking forward to the race. If he wins, that'll be great and I could care less who his owner is or that his trainer has had more suspensions than most.

I also won't care that 95% of the experts will say he beat nothing. They all said the same thing about Seattle Slew. If Brown wins the race and people don't take time to appreciate the accomplishment, then they can wallow in their overly self-righteous indignations. Then they can wait another 30 or 100 years for the next undefeated TC winner to come along.

You act as though real racing fans are disappointed year after year that there is no TC winner....let alone an undefeated one. Real racing fans know what a truly special horse is and are excited by seeing it race. Sorry, but real racing fans are disheartened by horses that are retired before having the opportunity to show how good they may actually be.

When Big Brown takes on Curlin in the Fall and even runs a close second I will applaud him. Until then, barring a sensational performance, I will pass on accepting his accomplishments as remarkable. He is nothing more than a very nice horse beating up on mediocrities. Nothing wrong with that and I wish there were more of his kind around. However, pardon me if I don't get goose bumps when he romps over 7 overmatched, and at best moderately talented, rivals.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave
The horse has done everything that has been asked of him and has overcome some serious adversity in the process....winning from the outside at Gulfstream was something that he supposedly was not going to do...winning the KD from post 20 in his 5th lifetime start was supposedly something that he was not gonna do...coming back on 2 weeks rest in the Preakness was possibly going to be his undoing... I realy believe that more than a few are unable to put aside their dislike for Dutrow and/or IEAH and give the horse appropriate credit.
... also, being juiced does not explain his performances cause if BB is being juiced with something illegal and undetectable then it seems pretty damn likely that he would not be the only one on that juice...

He's a very good horse Dave. There's no denying that. However, in the pantheon of TC winners he is nothing special. Silver Charm could have done exactly what Big Brown has done, and then some, and he was hardly revered in the manner of this horse. Yes, I am comparing him to some pretty heady company, and that is a compliment to Big Brown, but let's stop pretending he is something he has so far proven not to be.

Bottom line for me is that he would have been no better than third in last year's Preakness.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
You act as though real racing fans are disappointed year after year that there is no TC winner....let alone an undefeated one. Real racing fans know what a truly special horse is and are excited by seeing it race. Sorry, but real racing fans are disheartened by horses that are retired before having the opportunity to show how good they may actually be.

When Big Brown takes on Curlin in the Fall and even runs a close second I will applaud him. Until then, barring a sensational performance, I will pass on accepting his accomplishments as remarkable. He is nothing more than a very nice horse beating up on mediocrities. Nothing wrong with that and I wish there were more of his kind around. However, pardon me if I don't get goose bumps when he romps over 7 overmatched, and at best moderately talented, rivals.
That's close to how I feel. I'd rather have last year than this year, several good horses giving us several exciting races instead of one really good horse giving us three blowouts. I wish they would continue on but I've gotten so accustomed to not seeing it that I don't expect it anymore so I'm no longer disheartened. I'm not even holding my breath on a Big Brown vs. Curlin matchup because I feel like the odds are much more in favor against it happening. I feel like Big Brown is a very good horse, possibly even a great one. As you say, even a close second to Curlin would be ok with me although I have a feeling that many people would give him the same unfair treatment that they gave Bernardini for losing to Invasor, as if there was some shame in that. Didn't 3yo Affirmed lose to 4yo Seattle Slew and 3yo Spectacular Bid lost to 4yo Affirmed.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Until then, barring a sensational performance, I will pass on accepting his accomplishments as remarkable. He is nothing more than a very nice horse beating up on mediocrities.
While I agree with you in principle, I don't think it would kill you to give him a tad more credit. He didn't make his sophomore debut until March 5th. He turned in a very impressive effort in the FL Derby off of only one start and very light training in almost 7 months. And he hasn't been threatened while winning three Grade Is.

Denis of Cork is a very nice horse. I think Big Brown is more, if only slightly more.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERGEE
I think he said he didnt know what bayers are not beyers
this thread gets an 86 bayer.

not all that good considering any mention of big brown at this point is an almost automatic 80 bayer.

i had hopes for the first thread roller started but that petered out as no better than a 90.

i'm confident this subject matter has a 100+ bayer in it though. keep trying.