Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2015, 02:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Default ghost moose?

never heard of it...and wish it had stayed that way by this not occurring! this is awful:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...d-environment/
Old 06-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Saratoga

Oh Jesus just skimmed it and the video came on... how awful. Poor things.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Belmont Park

Of course it's climate change-related. Oh wait... the Northeast had the coldest winter on record this past season, Massachusetts had the highest recorded snowfall on record, so surely the fact that these ticks multiplying exponentially is because the winter was too warm.

Myopia is rampant. I'm not saying climate change isn't occurring - you'd need to be a dolt or blind to dismiss it. But the convenience of laziness to draw these conclusions is troublesome.

>>>In the past, after long New England winters that lasted well into April, the ticks would jump off moose, hit spring snow, and die, says Kristine Rines, moose project leader for New Hampshire Fish and Game.

But warmer, shorter winters means those ticks are more likely to land on bare, snowless ground, which lets them live another day—and possibly flourish.<<<

But.....we just....had....the coldest, snowiest winter.... on....record.....that lasted...well into.....April....

Surely if that's the reason, the overwhelming majority of ticks jumped off the moose and died 2 months ago.

So which is it?
Old 06-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Of course it's climate change-related. Oh wait... the Northeast had the coldest winter on record this past season, Massachusetts had the highest recorded snowfall on record, so surely the fact that these ticks multiplying exponentially is because the winter was too warm.

Myopia is rampant. I'm not saying climate change isn't occurring - you'd need to be a dolt or blind to dismiss it. But the convenience of laziness to draw these conclusions is troublesome.

>>>In the past, after long New England winters that lasted well into April, the ticks would jump off moose, hit spring snow, and die, says Kristine Rines, moose project leader for New Hampshire Fish and Game.

But warmer, shorter winters means those ticks are more likely to land on bare, snowless ground, which lets them live another day—and possibly flourish.<<<

But.....we just....had....the coldest, snowiest winter.... on....record.....that lasted...well into.....April....

Surely if that's the reason, the overwhelming majority of ticks jumped off the moose and died 2 months ago.

So which is it?
read the whole article. you'll see where they say further down that not just shorter winters and ticks are the issue. white tail deer are notoriously good at adapting to new areas, and i'd imagine the shorter winters they discuss, where april is more spring than winter, is helping white tail gain ground. other parasites are an issue as well.
so, the story here isn't just the tick, it's the overall change in an area contributing to changes in the animals that will be able to exist there. moose began to flourish years ago there after being gone, and now they're going backwards.
just like when you get to areas where white tail and mule deer cross paths, mulies and hybrids take over, and the white tails go down hill. muleys will breed with white tail does, creating hybrids..but leaving whitetail bucks with no one to mate with...so, they leave for greener pastures so to speak.
it's always been my understanding that ticks can't kill a healthy animal. there's a bundle of reasons why they're dying.

'Though winter tick is the main culprit, scientists are trying to unravel the bigger mystery of what else is contributing to the deaths. Moose are highly susceptible to several kinds of parasites, and it's likely that many factors are at play.

Bill Samuel, a retired biologist and ghost moose expert at the University of Alberta in Canada, says that pinpointing a single reason for the deaths is "wishful thinking."'
Old 06-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
read the whole article. you'll see where they say further down that not just shorter winters and ticks are the issue. white tail deer are notoriously good at adapting to new areas, and i'd imagine the shorter winters they discuss, where april is more spring than winter, is helping white tail gain ground. other parasites are an issue as well.
so, the story here isn't just the tick, it's the overall change in an area contributing to changes in the animals that will be able to exist there. moose began to flourish years ago there after being gone, and now they're going backwards.
just like when you get to areas where white tail and mule deer cross paths, mulies and hybrids take over, and the white tails go down hill. muleys will breed with white tail does, creating hybrids..but leaving whitetail bucks with no one to mate with...so, they leave for greener pastures so to speak.
it's always been my understanding that ticks can't kill a healthy animal. there's a bundle of reasons why they're dying.

'Though winter tick is the main culprit, scientists are trying to unravel the bigger mystery of what else is contributing to the deaths. Moose are highly susceptible to several kinds of parasites, and it's likely that many factors are at play.

Bill Samuel, a retired biologist and ghost moose expert at the University of Alberta in Canada, says that pinpointing a single reason for the deaths is "wishful thinking."'
I read the whole article - from the subhead - "As New England winters get warmer and shorter, ticks are driving a worrisome decline in a species that's crucial to the region's economy." - followed by the entire piece that blames global warming for the increase in tick population, which if you were to assume the *facts* cited, should have all died off this past winter.

But congrats on finding the one sentence in the last paragraph of the article that feigns to unring the bell they've been clanging the entire piece.

Typical lib drivel.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
I read the whole article - from the subhead - "As New England winters get warmer and shorter, ticks are driving a worrisome decline in a species that's crucial to the region's economy." - followed by the entire piece that blames global warming for the increase in tick population, which if you were to assume the *facts* cited, should have all died off this past winter.

But congrats on finding the one sentence in the last paragraph of the article that feigns to unring the bell they've been clanging the entire piece.

Typical lib drivel.
that's not even the last paragraph of the article. so, whatever.
and national geo is liberal? yes, let's completely ignore the science, because you don't like the science.