Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Oriental Park

Default June 6 Belmont Park ROI Wagers go here

We are playing races 3 through 11 at Belmont Park and Race 8 [the Santa Anita Derby] from Santa Anita.

Please have your wagers for the ROI contest posted on this thread not later than 2:23 PM Eastern time, the scheduled post time for Race 3.

Good luck to all and thank you to Real Quiet for scoring.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

RACE 10

#5 CENTRIST---$100 WIN
Old 06-05-2020, 05:11 PM
The Curragh

Default Purrrplexing Pix

I'VE BEEN 'FOREWARNED'
MY CHOICES ARE NUTS
SO ALL THAT I MAY SEE
ARE OTHER HORSE'S BUTTS!

RACE 5
#10 -------- $20 WIN { KOSCIUSZKO }
===============================

RACE 6
#9 -------- $28 WIN { TRIBHUVAN }
==================================

RACE 7
#8 ---------- $14 WIN { FOREWARNED }
#11 -------- $18 WIN { BACKSIDE OF THE MOON}
========================================

RACE 8
#3 -------- $ 20 WIN { EYE IN THE SKY }
============================================

BODACIOUS BELMONT CATNIP FOR THE 'QUIET ONE'

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 06-06-2020, 07:29 AM
The Curragh

R5 $12 ex key 1 w 3-5-6 ($36)

R9 $10 ex key 1 w 5-10-11 ($30)

R10 $34 show # 13 ($34)
Old 06-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Oriental Park

RQ commented that when we have a simo race, very few players use it in the ROI. So, RQ, this one's for you [even though I haven't seen any scratches]

Santa Anita Race 8 [Santa Anita Derby]

$12 trifecta: 7 / 6 / 2,3,5 [$36]

$9 trifecta: 6/ 7 / 2,3,5 [$27]

$7 trifecta: 7/ 2,3,5 / 6 [$21]

$5 trifecta: 6/ 2,3,5 / 7 [$15]

Good luck to all and thank you to RQ for scoring.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Narragansett Park

race six

$100 WIN

thanks RQ and good luck all
Old 06-06-2020, 12:30 PM
Oriental Park

I would never second guess any player's selections, but I did want to add a comment about the person who Ruff's ROI pick in race 5 was named after.

Tadeusz Kosciuszko was a Polish/Lithuanian patriot who was one of many foreign military men who were inspired by the American revolutionary cause in 1776. His training as a military engineer made him very valuable in improving fortifications that defended against British advances. Among other locations, his choice of the ground to defend helped the Americans defeat Burgoyne at the battles of Saratoga. After the revolutionary war, he returned home and fought for Polish freedom.

One of the most interesting aspects of his biography was his will, which attempted to leave his American assets to the manumission of slaves in America, even though this intent was never completed.

If you have time, it is worth learning more about this hero of American independence who seldom gets much notice.

Certainly worth naming a horse after.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:40 PM
The Curragh

As a 100% Lithuanian American I thought that was a good read Joly. I will admit though that when I initially saw Ruffs pick I thought that she liked spicy brown mustard.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:58 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Quiet View Post
As a 100% Lithuanian American I thought that was a good read Joly. I will admit though that when I initially saw Ruffs pick I thought that she liked spicy brown mustard.
A number of things have been named after that gentleman. There is a mountain in Australia, a bridge in Brooklyn, a town in Mississippi, a training area in Chicago for the Special Olympics and of course, that wonderful mustard. There is a National Memorial to him in Philadelphia that is part of the National Parks system, not too far from Independence Hall.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Havre de Grace

Belmont R5

50 cent Super 1//3,5,6,10//3,5,6,10//3,5,6,10=$12

50 cent Super 1//5,6,10,12//5,6,10,12//5,6,10,12=$12

10 cent Super Box 1,3,5,6,10=$12

Santa Anita R8

$4 Tri 6,7//6,7//all=$40

$4 Tri 2,6//7//1,2,3,6=$24
Old 06-06-2020, 01:17 PM
Oriental Park

Race 6: $8 exacta
5w/2,4,6,8

Race 7: $8 exacta
9w/ 1,2,4,8

Race 9: $8 exacta
1w/5,7,10,11

Enjoy the Day!!!
Total $96
Old 06-06-2020, 01:21 PM
Hawthorne

$3 Daily Double Wheel (cost - $3x13= $39):
Race 9 - #4
Race 10 - all

Race 9:
$3 exacta backwheel:
All with #4 finishing second (cost $21)

Race 11:
$20 to win and place on #10
Old 06-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Del Mar

r6 $10 WPS #8

r8 $10 WPS #3 (The Alan Parsons Project-this song will be in my head all day)

r11 $40 W #10

**Thanks JolyB for the history lesson. I've been down to Philadelphia several times to take in all the historical sites and have never seen his memorial! I'll have to go again!
Old 06-06-2020, 01:32 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
A number of things have been named after that gentleman. There is a mountain in Australia, a bridge in Brooklyn, a town in Mississippi, a training area in Chicago for the Special Olympics and of course, that wonderful mustard. There is a National Memorial to him in Philadelphia that is part of the National Parks system, not too far from Independence Hall.
One of the counties here in Arkansas was named after another Polish hero of the American Revolution, Casimir Pulaski. Little Rock sits in Pulaski County.

I guess there are a great many places named after military men. We also have a county here in Arkansas that seems to be named after a general and later President and the county seat is also named after another general. You might think they were Confederate generals, but I don't think so. The county seat is Sheridan and the county is Grant. Don't know that for sure as I have never looked it up, but I am guessing they were named after those generals, but who knows, might just be coincidence. Whatever, seems odd, but maybe those two were kind during reconstruction.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:32 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenilune View Post
r6 $10 WPS #8

r8 $10 WPS #3 (The Alan Parsons Project-this song will be in my head all day)

r11 $40 W #10

**Thanks JolyB for the history lesson. I've been down to Philadelphia several times to take in all the historical sites and have never seen his memorial! I'll have to go again!
Plen, if you go to the National Parks Service website, you can get all of the information you might need for a future visit.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
One of the counties here in Arkansas was named after another Polish hero of the American Revolution, Casimir Pulaski. Little Rock sits in Pulaski County.

I guess there are a great many places named after military men. We also have a county here in Arkansas that seems to be named after a general and later President and the county seat is also named after another general. You might think they were Confederate generals, but I don't think so. The county seat is Sheridan and the county is Grant. Don't know that for sure as I have never looked it up, but I am guessing they were named after those generals, but who knows, might just be coincidence. Whatever, seems odd, but maybe those two were kind during reconstruction.
As a fellow who is proudly 25% Polish, I will add that Casimir Pulaski is remembered here in New Jersey too. A bridge that connects Newark and Jersey City is called the General Pulaski Skyway and here's a link to some interesting info about a bridge that Casimir himself may have renamed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulaski_Skyway
Old 06-06-2020, 08:19 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post

Cal, I've always been fascinated by history, especially American history. Your raising those questions about Sheridan, Ark and Grant County were like throwing raw meat to a lion and sent me to websites for those places. The names were not coincidences. Grant County was formed and named in Feb, 1869, and was named after President elect Grant, who was elected in November, 1868. Given its namesake's reputation for drinking, it is ironically a dry county. You can't make this stuff up. The County Seat of Sheridan was incorporated in 1887. At that time, Philip Sheridan was serving as the commanding general of the US Army. How some of the veterans of the Confederate army who resided there felt about it is anyone's guess.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:20 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Cal, I've always been fascinated by history, especially American history. Your raising those questions about Sheridan, Ark and Grant County were like throwing raw meat to a lion and sent me to websites for those places. The names were not coincidences. Grant County was formed and named in Feb, 1869, and was named after President elect Grant, who was elected in November, 1868. Given its namesake's reputation for drinking, it is ironically a dry county. You can't make this stuff up. The County Seat of Sheridan was incorporated in 1887. At that time, Philip Sheridan was serving as the commanding general of the US Army. How some of the veterans of the Confederate army who resided there felt about it is anyone's guess.
I'm surprised I never looked it up, but I felt pretty strongly that it was no coincidence. I traveled around the lower part of the state for 37 years when I worked for the Arkansas Department of Human Services and have been through Sheridan and Grant County many times usually on my way to Pine Bluff and points south all the way nearly to Louisiana and Mississippi in the Delta. That part of the state is the exact opposite of Hot Springs. Here we have the Quachita Mountains(really just big hills), but that part of the state is very flat. Great place to grow cotton and soy beans and rice. We don't grow much up here in the hills except a lot of pine trees and judging by the number of them in my yard, rocks.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:57 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
As a fellow who is proudly 25% Polish, I will add that Casimir Pulaski is remembered here in New Jersey too. A bridge that connects Newark and Jersey City is called the General Pulaski Skyway and here's a link to some interesting info about a bridge that Casimir himself may have renamed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulaski_Skyway
Interesting stuff. I read that General Pulaski actually saved the life of George Washington, but I don't know the details of that. I will have to look it up.

Don't know much about New Jersey as I have never been there, but I have a few friends there that I went to college with. The school that I went to had several kids from New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts. Some went to school there because of athletic scholarships and I imagine some just went there because even out of state tuition in Arkansas was probably cheaper than going to school in New Jersey. I still talk to some of those guys from New Jersey on facebook.