Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Keeneland

Default Mitt Romney calls half of America freeloaders

Just when you think Romney can't destroy his campaign by insulting Americans any further, he shows how wrong you are about his potential.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ate-fundraiser

This video has been floating around for a week, and now that it's been vetted it's breaking into MSM

Hey - everyone who gets mortgage and child deductions, to reduce your federal tax bill? You're a freeloading moocher.

On Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid? You're a freeloading moocher.

Pay social security tax, medicare tax, state taxes, local taxes, sales taxes - but make so little money you don't have to pay federal income tax because of the standard deduction? You're a freeloading moocher!

Fired from your job, on unemployment? You're a freeloading moocher!

Too poor to afford food, so get food stamps? You're a freeloading moocher?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Keeneland

I have no sympathy for this loser in the least. As a self-employed professional, job-creating tax payer, I object to his characterization of me as a voter.

Screw you and your bigotry, Mittens. Your joke about Latinos sucks, too. You were a failure during the 2008 presidential primary for a reason, and I can't believe they let you be the nominee this time. Complete incompetence and stupidity.

And by the way? A great portion of those 47% of 'poors' you disparage as losers are the elderly you hope vote for you.

-----------------------------

Bloomberg Business

Today, Mitt Romney Lost the Election

By Josh Barro Sep 17, 2012 6:02 PM ET

You can mark my prediction now: A secret recording from a closed-door Mitt Romney fundraiser, released today by David Corn at Mother Jones, has killed Mitt Romney's campaign for president.

On the tape, Romney explains that his electoral strategy involves writing off nearly half the country as unmoveable Obama voters. As Romney explains, 47 percent of Americans "believe that they are victims." He laments: "I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

So what's the upshot? "My job is not to worry about those people," he says. He also notes, describing President Obama's base, "These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax."

This is an utter disaster for Romney.

Romney already has trouble relating to the public and convincing people he cares about them. Now, he's been caught on video saying that nearly half the country consists of hopeless losers.

Romney has been vigorously denying President Obama's claims that his tax plan would raise taxes on the middle class. Now, he's been caught on video suggesting that low- and middle-income Americans are undertaxed.

(That one is especially problematic given the speculation about what's on Mitt's unreleased pre-2010 tax returns.)

Corn tells us there are more embarrassing moments on segments of the video he hasn't released yet. Romney jokes that he'd be more likely to win the election if he were Hispanic. He makes some awkward comments about whether he was born with a "silver spoon" in his mouth.

But those are survivable. The really disastrous thing is the clip about "victims," and the combination of contempt and pity that Romney shows for anyone who isn't going to vote for him.

Romney is the most opaque presidential nominee since Nixon, and people have been reduced to guessing what his true feelings are. This video provides an answer: He feels that you're a loser. It's not an answer that wins elections.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Bowie

the liberal media
Old 09-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Keeneland

The Top Ten states where the non-taxpayers live, in red; and the Top Ten states where the highest-paying taxpayers are, in blue.

Mitt, Mitt, Mitt ... you just insulted your base.

Last edited by Riot : 09-17-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Tropical Park

What is so bad about saying people shouldn't be dependent on government? People shouldn't be dependent on government. People should strive to get off government dependence.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Tropical Park

Romney is right, people who don't want to work and who want to live off the government are going to vote for Obama.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20...g_to_say_.html

Romney is conflating the people who pay no net income tax with the people so dependent on government aid that they have to vote for Obama. But these aren't the same people! Most of the "lucky duckies," to use the classic WSJ term, are old people who subsist on Social Security. Elderly voters broke big for Republicans in 2010. Scores of poor whites who benefit from the Earned Income Tax Credit vote for Republicans.

and remember, the comments he made were for rich donors, not us peasants. he didn't mean for that to get out. now it has-and it's gonna cost him, as it should.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20...g_to_say_.html

Romney is conflating the people who pay no net income tax with the people so dependent on government aid that they have to vote for Obama. But these aren't the same people! Most of the "lucky duckies," to use the classic WSJ term, are old people who subsist on Social Security. Elderly voters broke big for Republicans in 2010. Scores of poor whites who benefit from the Earned Income Tax Credit vote for Republicans.

and remember, the comments he made were for rich donors, not us peasants. he didn't mean for that to get out. now it has-and it's gonna cost him, as it should.
interesting article even more interesting is to hear rationalizations from people as they vote against their own self interests. According to this it is not ok to pay no taxes because your income - legal deductions don't meet the minimum standards for taxation however it is pefectly fine to EVADE taxes by stashing your cash in the Caymans.

Damar Hamlin
Old 09-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
interesting article even more interesting is to hear rationalizations from people as they vote against their own self interests. According to this it is not ok to pay no taxes because your income - legal deductions don't meet the minimum standards for taxation however it is pefectly fine to EVADE taxes by stashing your cash in the Caymans.

yep. all too often, people go for the overly simplistic. the easy thing is to say 'half don't pay taxes'...but that isn't close to the whole story. do some pay less or no fed tax? yes, they do. but many still pay ss, medicare (which technically goes to the same big pot with a huge hole in it) property taxes, etc. then there's what the article says, many of that 47% are on social security-they're retirees who paid into the system and now are reaping the fruits of their labor.

thing is, what mitt said wasn't meant for public consumption-it was only meant for the fat cats at that fundraiser. and i feel comments like that are far more telling than the practiced phrases you hear when they know the microphone is on.

what got me is when i read that some of the very rich also paid no federal income tax-now, that's mindboggling.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

yep. all too often, people go for the overly simplistic. the easy thing is to say 'half don't pay taxes'...but that isn't close to the whole story. do some pay less or no fed tax? yes, they do. but many still pay ss, medicare (which technically goes to the same big pot with a huge hole in it) property taxes, etc. then there's what the article says, many of that 47% are on social security-they're retirees who paid into the system and now are reaping the fruits of their labor.

thing is, what mitt said wasn't meant for public consumption-it was only meant for the fat cats at that fundraiser. and i feel comments like that are far more telling than the practiced phrases you hear when they know the microphone is on.

what got me is when i read that some of the very rich also paid no federal income tax-now, that's mindboggling.
The funny thing is I am a hell of a lot closer to the demographic he is talking TO then who he is talking about. The thing is that unlike a lot of people I see that changing if the economy crashes. If 5% of the people have all the money then there are few left to buy my house, my stocks and products that fund my jobs. We all crash with it yet people continue to vote against their own interest. Is it mass delusion caused by reality TV? Watching some filthy rich fuk on TV doesn't mean you are days away from being there yourself.

Damar Hamlin
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Steve Byk

Charlie Pierce in his Esquire blog with a searing summation: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politic...9446e20a667d7d
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Steve Byk

And on a related note from Mother Jones, piece about Romney policy and ad influencer Robert Rector from the disgusting Heritage Foundation..

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-robert-rector
Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Coach Pants

Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Charlie Pierce in his Esquire blog with a searing summation: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politic...9446e20a667d7d
i enjoyed that one, thanks for posting.

the footage, recorded at an "intimate fundraiser" with "a small group of wealthy contributors," offers an extraordinary look at what the candidate is like when he's around people he perceives to be worthy of what he believes is the truth.

it was a moment of pure, unadulterated honesty.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Coach Pants

Isn't Van Jones involved with Mother Jones?

It's all so laughable at this point. Like this will make smart people vote for that clown holding the office.

Come on, Steve. Just vote for the clown and be done with it. Not like things will get any better. Dude is a complete head case with a nut job 2nd in command.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
And on a related note from Mother Jones, piece about Romney policy and ad influencer Robert Rector from the disgusting Heritage Foundation..

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-robert-rector
reading that reminded me of this, in which factcheck explains romney's claims about obama and welfare are incorrect (what a surprise )

http://factcheck.org/2012/08/does-ob...elfare-reform/
Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 AM
Santa Anita

Obama cannot run on his record, and so he must destroy Romney.

Obama added 5 trillion to the debt, bringing us to 16 trillion and counting.

That's 4 million bags of $4 million dollars each. $4 million squared.

Unemployment has gone up, peaking at just short of 10% even after cooking the books.

Forcing through a medical takeover that the majority of people do not want.

What, besides dishing out teleprompter scrolled condescension, has this guy really done?

Each individual has to make his/her own assessment, but I know that I'm not dumb enough to vote for him. He's shown us nothing good.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
Obama cannot run on his record, and so he must destroy Romney.Obama added 5 trillion to the debt, bringing us to 16 trillion and counting.

That's 4 million bags of $4 million dollars each. $4 million squared.

Unemployment has gone up, peaking at just short of 10% even after cooking the books.

Forcing through a medical takeover that the majority of people do not want.

What, besides dishing out teleprompter scrolled condescension, has this guy really done?

Each individual has to make his/her own assessment, but I know that I'm not dumb enough to vote for him. He's shown us nothing good.
romney's doing a good enough job of destroying himself, obama just has to sit back and watch him implode.

and i'm pretty sure romney has only been attacking obama, rather than run on his 'record'.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
romney's doing a good enough job of destroying himself, obama just has to sit back and watch him implode.

and i'm pretty sure romney has only been attacking obama, rather than run on his 'record'.
I won't disagree that Romney has made some missteps. He's far from perfect. But he doesn't need to be that great to be preferable to Obama.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Tropical Park

Well I guess Romney lost any chance of stealing the freeloaders votes from Obama.

This just the flavor of the week in the MSM's coordinated campaign to destroy Romney to protect their failed dear leader. Last week it was the comments about Obama apologizing to to thugs. Can you imagine if the MSM did this with the comments from those two idiots Obama and Biden?