Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Keeneland

Default Voter ID laws: Everyone has an ID, right? Nope

"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Narragansett Park

Here's a solution for all of those without an ID - if you want to vote, GET ONE!!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Dee Tee Stables

this needed a new thread? whatever.

anyway, can't see what madam wrote, can only see the thread title. i really wish when i pose a question when at work and unable to look for the answer, that someone whose posts i can read would answer...at any rate, i found this:

http://geoff82.wordpress.com/2012/01...ave-photo-ids/

i have no idea who this site is, or if they're 'valid' or not. i just know it was first on the google list. found it interesting to say the least.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
this needed a new thread? whatever.

anyway, can't see what madam wrote, can only see the thread title. i really wish when i pose a question when at work and unable to look for the answer, that someone whose posts i can read would answer...at any rate, i found this:

http://geoff82.wordpress.com/2012/01...ave-photo-ids/

i have no idea who this site is, or if they're 'valid' or not. i just know it was first on the google list. found it interesting to say the least.

This chart was posted..

][/quote]

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 07-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
This chart was posted..

]
[/quote]

gee, thanks. i'll sleep better tonight not having to wonder any more.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Keeneland

Too bad Danzig won't read this:

Fri Jul 20, 2012
The Fraud of Voter Fraud
by Richard Riis

There is a coordinated, nationwide effort right now to enact voter ID laws that do nothing to impact alleged voter fraud and instead disenfranchise voters and infringe upon the fundamental American right to free and fair elections... which is, of course, precisely what the proposed laws are intended to do.

Photo ID laws have been introduced or passed in at least 15 states. They discriminate against those who don’t have driver’s licenses — disproportionately the poor, elderly and minorities. Nationally they could disenfranchise about five million voters. Several states are also pushing legislation to restrict voter registration and to limit early voting.

A quick check of the facts vis-à-vis voter fraud: The Bush Justice Department conducted a massive, five-year investigation into voter fraud that resulted in a mere 86 convictions nationwide. An independent investigation into voter fraud in Missouri in 2000 determined that the rate of voter fraud in that state was 0.0003%. A similar study in Ohio in 2004 turned up a percentage of 0.0004%, while another study in Wisconsin the same year measured the proportion of fraudulent votes at 0.0002%.

Notably, in virtually every case the “fraudulent” votes involved either in- and out-of-state double voting or votes cast by ineligible voters, chiefly ex-felons, problems that would not be addressed by photo ID. None were cases of actual fraud via voter impersonation.

Based on these studies, and expecting about 125 million votes to be cast nationwide in this year’s general election, we can anticipate the number of ineligible or fraudulent votes to be cast in 2012 at between 250 and 500.

We like to say that every vote counts, but, really, five to ten votes, on average, in each of 50 states are hardly likely to make a difference in this, or any, election’s outcome. Voter fraud is just not a very real threat to American democracy.

However, the costs of implementing these new laws are very real. States must undertake massive public information campaigns, retrain poll workers, account for longer lines on Election Day, and produce and distribute millions of free IDs to citizens. This has the potential to increase electoral costs in some states by as much as 50 percent — tens of millions of dollars.

Most recently, Indiana's strict voter ID law cost taxpayers more than $10 million in the issuing of new IDs. Estimates by other states projected additional implementation costs of up to $25 million in North Carolina over three years, $17 million in Missouri over three years.

Is this really the wisest use of taxpayer money in these tight times?

Of course, the real intent of voter ID laws is not to prevent fraud but to disenfranchise millions of otherwise eligible voters

Studies have shown that about 21 million Americans, or 11% of eligible voters, currently lack a valid photo ID.

However, those percentages rise to as high as 25% for African-Americans, 15% for low-income voters, 18% for seniors and 20% for voters under 30.

Do you detect a pattern here? These demographic groups are predominantly Democratic base voters.

The other pattern at play: all of the new or proposed voter ID laws and other legal obstacles to voting are being put into place by Republican legislatures.

Though right-wing efforts to suppress low-income and minority voting are nothing new, the current GOP campaign is unprecedented in scope, organization and ambition.

Not all these measures will likely survive court challenges. The 14th and 15th amendments to the U. S. Constitution and the 1965 Voting Rights Act bar discrimination and other interference with voting in all elections.

In addition, Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act requires preclearance for nondiscrimination by either the Justice Department or a federal court before states can change any voting procedures.

This is what led the Texas Justice Department to recently put a hold on Texas’ discriminatory new voter ID law and a Wisconsin judge to strike down a similar law in that state.

"Voter fraud is no more poisonous to our democracy than voter suppression”, wrote Dane County Circuit Judge Richard Niess in his decision; “A government that undermines the very foundation of its existence — the people's inherent, pre-constitutional right to vote — imperils its legitimacy as a government by the people, for the people, and especially of the people."

What we ought to be doing in this country is rethinking our voting laws with regard to how to ensure that every citizen can cast his or her vote with fewer obstacles, not more.

Registration drives, extended voting hours, modern balloting technologies — Americans should be having a national conversation on how to encourage and increase voting, not on how to suppress it.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Keeneland

June 26, 2012

ALEC has given Republicans an agenda to achieve goals. Some of these are:

Voter ID laws - to disenfranchise voters that tend to vote democratic.
Abortion facility laws - get rid of facilities in states, and no abortions can be performed even though it's legal
Gun control - loosen gun control laws, pass "stand your ground" laws
-----------------------------------

PA State Representative Republican Mike Turzai, admits GOP voter ID laws are intended to help Republicans win.

During a speech to the Republican State Committee's summer meeting in Hershey on Saturday, Rep. Mike Turzai, R-Allegheny, ticked off what he said were the GOP's achievements during its nearly two years in control of the General Assembly and the governor's office.

Quote:
"Pro-Second Amendment? The Castle Doctrine. It's done," said Turzai, whose remarks were captured on video and posted to the video-sharing site YouTube. "First pro-life legislation — abortion facility regulations — in 22 years. Done. Voter ID, which is going to allow Gov. Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania. Done."
Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
gee, thanks. i'll sleep better tonight not having to wonder any more.
You are welcome...she just posted a long story on voter fraud, you want to see it?..

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Keeneland

As I've suggested before since all Americans will be required to have health insurance. By simply producing a pic id with SS # on your health insurance card would provide the needed ID to all starting in 2014.

This would also eliminate anyone showing at a Dr. or Hosp. trying to portray themselves as the insured on whatever proof they show, hence the pic and SS.

A win-win all the way around!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
You are welcome...she just posted a long story on voter fraud, you want to see it?..
If i did, i would change my settings. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech View Post
Here's a solution for all of those without an ID - if you want to vote, GET ONE!!
Yea. I don't get it. Why the controversy?

A photo ID and signature would help eliminate fraud.
I remember 20 years ago, my mother had to get an ID to vote in Indiana. She's never had a Driver's License.

Get it done and move on.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club View Post
Because it's not easy for many people - a very significant number - to have access to obtaining an ID, both financially and geographically. You can't put a poll tax on voters. You can't put excess requirements on certain parts of the population (see chart) And so far the courts are agreeing completely.

Banking, driving, cashing checks is a privilege. Voting is a right. You don't have to be a "normal citizen participating in society on a daily basis (working, driving, banking)" to have exactly the same, inviolate right to vote as every single other American citizen. And it has been repeatedly documented that there is little to no voter fraud, virtually non-existent, and what exists is rarely preventable by any photo ID.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club View Post

A photo ID and signature would help eliminate fraud.
I remember 20 years ago, my mother had to get an ID to vote in Indiana. She's never had a Driver's License.

Get it done and move on.

I don't get it either...I have to show my driver's license to get checked off the roles before going into the booth. I consider it an honor to do so, and appreciate the retired folks that volunteer their time to man the polls.

What the hell is the difference? If they questioned my eligibility, I'd comply with the same honor of privilege, thankful that there are enough people that still give enough of a sh1t to insure the election is legitimate.

She is just bent because she knows how many illegitimate inhabitants of this country will purposefully and willingly attempt to sway the election via fraud, toward her particular candidate. And now she's crying because the fraud has been uncovered and disallowed. Boo hoo.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post

I don't get it either...I have to show my driver's license to get checked off the roles before going into the booth. I consider it an honor to do so, and appreciate the retired folks that volunteer their time to man the polls.

What the hell is the difference? If they questioned my eligibility, I'd comply with the same honor of privilege, thankful that there are enough people that still enough of a sh1t to insure the election is legitimate.

She is just bent because she knows how many illegitimate inhabitants of this country will purposefully and willingly attempt to sway the election via fraud, toward her particular candidate. And now she's crying because the fraud has been uncovered and disallowed. Boo hoo.
OMG! Brown people! Run in fear! Make up imaginary lies about voter fraud by illegals!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Keeneland

Daily Show hilariously eviscerates the lies about massive voter fraud existence:

Quote:
Florida's Republican Gov. Rick Scott recently signed a law that requires new voters to submit completed registration forms within 48 hours from the minute they fill them out, causing new voter registration to plummet by twenty percent.

The law is intended to limit rampant voter fraud, as Daily Show correspondent John Oliver explained last night to Jon Stewart: "Sacrificing twenty percent of new voter participation is nothing compared to the horrors of voter fraud, which, according to the Brennan Center for Justice, happens at a terrifying rate of 0.0004 percent."

The Brennan Center's number is minuscule, so voter fraud isn't a real concern, right?

Not so, Oliver said. Because who knows how many cases of undetected voter fraud there might be? "Voter fraud statistics are limited only as much as your imagination."

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...gistration-law

Last edited by Riot : 07-22-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Belmont Park

Yes that's it... taking pride in my country and appreciating the efforts of our elected representatives by insuring legitimate voter roles = racism

You've got some nerve - but I wouldn't expect anything less out of you.

BTW, Obama's DOJ agreed with Rick Scott, so you can check one of the largest swing states off your list of potential vote stealing wins
Old 07-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Yes that's it... taking pride in my country and appreciating the efforts of our elected representatives by insuring legitimate voter roles = racism

You've got some nerve - but I wouldn't expect anything less out of you.

BTW, Obama's DOJ agreed with Rick Scott, so you can check one of the largest swing states off your list of potential vote stealing wins
Put your money where your silly allegations are - I expect nothing less from you. You said, "how many illegitimate inhabitants of this country will purposefully and willingly attempt to sway the election via fraud,".

How many? Give us some figures? Prove your allegation. It's absurd on it's face. This isn't Free Republic here.

It's your foot. If the shoe fits, wear it. I'm sure you're worried about all those Germans and Canadians "fixing the election". Face it - the proven facts are that there is little to no voter fraud.

Oh, and Obama's DOJ did not agree with Rick Scott that there is massive voter fraud at all. Compliance with access to a data base is not agreeing, and DOJ initially fought FL having access as they were afraid FL would misuse the info. I'm sure you know that before you misstated.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Put your money where your silly allegations are - I expect nothing less from you. You said, "how many illegitimate inhabitants of this country will purposefully and willingly attempt to sway the election via fraud,".

How many? Give us some figures? Prove your allegation. It's absurd on it's face. This isn't Free Republic here.

It's your foot. If the shoe fits, wear it. I'm sure you're worried about all those Germans and Canadians "fixing the election". Face it - the proven facts are that there is little to no voter fraud.

Oh, and Obama's DOJ did not agree with Rick Scott that there is massive voter fraud at all. Compliance with access to a data base is not agreeing, and DOJ initially fought FL having access as they were afraid FL would misuse the info. I'm sure you know that before you misstated.

Btw, where's your buddy coach panties lately, did you drive him away?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Narragansett Park

I need to cash a check - can I do that without a photo ID?

I want to purchase something with a credit card - can I do that without ID?

I want want to own a racehorse - can I do that without being fingerprinted and issued a photo ID?

I want drive a car - can I do that without a photo ID?

I want to travel to Myrtle Beach - can I pass through security without a photo ID?

I want to rent a car, can I do that with out a photo ID?

I want to rent a house in Myrtle Beach, can I do that without ID?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Del Mar

[/color]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech View Post
I need to cash a check - can I do that without a photo ID? 'They' don't have checkbooks

I want to purchase something with a credit card - can I do that without ID?
they don't have credit cards.
I want want to own a racehorse - can I do that without being fingerprinted and issued a photo ID? they don't buy horses

I want drive a car - can I do that without a photo ID?they have a driver license

I want to travel to Myrtle Beach - can I pass through security without a photo ID? they don't go to Myrtle Beach

I want to rent a car, can I do that with out a photo ID?they don't rent cars

I want to rent a house in Myrtle Beach, can I do that without ID?see above..

Answers in red...