Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Del Mar

Default 12 shot dead at in Aurora, Colorado

12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

Quote:
By NBC News' Pete Williams and NBCNews.com staff

Updated at 10:10 a.m. ET: Twelve people were killed and at least 50 others wounded early Friday when a gunman wearing a bullet-proof vest opened fire during a midnight screening of the latest Batman movie near Denver, authorities and witnesses said.
Quote:
A suspect was apprehended in the shopping center's parking lot, Oates said. He was named as 24-year-old James Holmes, two federal officials from different agencies told NBC News.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-colorado?lite

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-colorado?lite
Horrible story! I heard account this morning on the radio, from a guy in the theatre next door, just very scary! You just never know where and when the next nutcase will pop off, you gotta be careful anywhere ya go it's very sad and disturbing!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Keeneland

What type of sick narcissistic mental deficient thinks that he's entitled to blow other people away because he's not happy with his life?

Sick, sad.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Gulfstream Park

His Mom was reported to have said "You got the right guy"...wow!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpncaine View Post
WTF? If it is to come that she knew this guy was unstable and didn't report it, they need to lock her ass up as well!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Keeneland

Now stories that his apartment is booby-trapped, cops can't get into it.

Glad the police caught him alive, because at least there is some small hope for the victims and their families to try and get an answer to, "why"?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Del Mar

Wonder if clip lives anywhere near Aurora...Hope he is ok...

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Now stories that his apartment is booby-trapped, cops can't get into it.

Glad the police caught him alive, because at least there is some small hope for the victims and their families to try and get an answer to, "why"?
I'm sorry the cops didn't kill him.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpncaine View Post
it's not easy to be a parent. i know, i've got three grown kids of my own. my youngest, 20, just sent me a pic of the crotch rocket he bought. lovely...

at any rate, i really wish that parents or others who are aware that someone is 'way out there' would do the right thing. parents especially. it's not easy to recognize your child has issues. everyone wants their kids to be normal (whatever that means) and don't want them to be less than perfect. it can be hard to face...but sometimes not facing it leads to worse problems than those that you don't wish to confront, that you hope will just go away. but serious issues don't just go away.
a friend of mine lost her son to a doped out shooter, a son from a broken home. they knew he had issues, and did nothing.
anyone here ever go to a funeral for a 17 year old who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time? he was with a buddy who owed the dope head $30. yeah, that's worth shooting two kids, killing one. he was her baby, and a wonderful kid. full of life, no one was a stranger.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Wonder if clip lives anywhere near Aurora...Hope he is ok...

I live very near Aurora and am OK, thank you for your concern. This is just miserable, I was traveling yesterday and unable to post from the jobsite.
My wife works for Denver Health in the hospital complex and they did amazing work there with the numbers of victims they had coming in. They had done a trauma simulation on Wednesday that was eerily similar to the actual events of Friday morning.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
I live very near Aurora and am OK, thank you for your concern. This is just miserable, I was traveling yesterday and unable to post from the jobsite.
My wife works for Denver Health in the hospital complex and they did amazing work there with the numbers of victims they had coming in. They had done a trauma simulation on Wednesday that was eerily similar to the actual events of Friday morning.

That is eerie, good work by hospital staff....glad to hear from you, you have had your share out there...the shooter lawyered up..by all accounts an excellent academic record..planned this for some time...makes no sense...

Old 07-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Guy was well armed and dressed entirely in body armor, I think they said 6000 rounds of ammo to go along with automatic weapons and tear gas/gas mask. Tragic beyond belief...another poster boy for the NRA.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
Guy was well armed and dressed entirely in body armor, I think they said 6000 rounds of ammo to go along with automatic weapons and tear gas/gas mask. Tragic beyond belief...another poster boy for the NRA.

Bought the 3 guns couple of weeks ago at local shops...6K ammo rounds bought on line...No red flags? you can buy anthing on line?

Already talk of gun control...that will go no where..

Old 07-21-2012, 06:21 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. This is the one occasion where someone actually bought the weapons legally so now we need to prevent the law abiding citizens from getting weapons.
When will people figure out that if you make something illegal then ONLY criminals get to have, thus giving them an upper hand.
No one in the theater was carrying a gun because the theater has a no guns policy, one person ignored that and got to kill a bunch of defenseless people.
Be realistic.
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/dec...ion/na-shoot11
She wasn't supposed to be armed as that was a gun free zone. Worked out pretty well though. At least give citizens a fighting chance.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

gun control would keep me from owning a weapon. that guy, he'd have found a way...

edit~ just saw this, on politicizing tragedy:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20...e_tragedy.html

Last edited by Danzig : 07-21-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Bought the 3 guns couple of weeks ago at local shops...6K ammo rounds bought on line...[color="Red"]No red flags? you can buy anthing on line?[/COLOR]

Already talk of gun control...that will go no where..
yeah, pretty much. i remember a story a few years back about two kids who used their mothers credit card to buy a helicopter off ebay. not a model, a real helicopter-IIRC, it was a bell.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Don't be ridiculous. This is the one occasion where someone actually bought the weapons legally so now we need to prevent the law abiding citizens from getting weapons.
When will people figure out that if you make something illegal then ONLY criminals get to have, thus giving them an upper hand.
No one in the theater was carrying a gun because the theater has a no guns policy, one person ignored that and got to kill a bunch of defenseless people.
Be realistic.
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/dec...ion/na-shoot11
She wasn't supposed to be armed as that was a gun free zone. Worked out pretty well though. At least give citizens a fighting chance.
Worked out great except for the four people he killed and five he injured.

Nowhere in the article did it say the church was a gun-free zone. In fact, the pastor says at the end that security volunteers were legally able to carry firearms.

In fact, though the security guard injured him, the assailant killed himself:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3...1#.UAwuBRxiBwc
Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 PM

The Aurora assailant purchased 4 guns and 6,000 rounds of ammo in a two-month period, including an assault rifle. Legally.

Though the US contains enough legal firearms for every citizen to have a gun, the percentage of Americans who own firearms is declining. It was one out of two in the 1970s and now it's about one in five, and this is after 30 years of declining regulations. It gets easier and easier to buy firearms, and yet fewer Americans are buying them. So the firearm industry depends on 20 percent of the nation to keep them profitable, as most of these gun owners own more than one firearm (quick poll of the DT gun owners- how many of you own more than one firearm? You can give props to the firearm industry for their excellent manipulation of your consumer habits. You did exactly what they want you to do.). So they're thrilled when someone like Holmes buys 4 weapons and thousands of rounds of ammo in a two-month period.

So the firearm industry gets White America worked up over omigawd the brown guy in the White House is going to take our guns away and gun owners obediently file out to buy more firearms, ammunition, whatever the gun industry tells them is going to be taken away from them. And there's not an iota of truth to any of the lies but gun owners are easily manipulated by fear.

And so people like Holmes can purchase 4 guns and 6000 rounds of ammunition in a two-month period, including an assault rifle and there was no way to flag the fact that a guy was accumulating a ridonkuolous amount of firepower or to stop him. And a six-year-old is dead and her mother lies paralyzed in a hospital, still unaware she will never see her child again. And that's just one of the victims.

The fact that the NRA has endorsed Romney, who has signed gun-control legislation (a ban on assault weapons), and not Obama, who has never signed gun-control legislation, nor has he made any effort to push legislation in the past 4 years, should make it really clear that it's not about "freedom" or "safety." It's about business. And corporations are people my friend. What's a six-year-old's life compared to the rights of industry?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
The Aurora assailant purchased 4 guns and 6,000 rounds of ammo in a two-month period, including an assault rifle. Legally.

Though the US contains enough legal firearms for every citizen to have a gun, the percentage of Americans who own firearms is declining. It was one out of two in the 1970s and now it's about one in five, and this is after 30 years of declining regulations. It gets easier and easier to buy firearms, and yet fewer Americans are buying them. So the firearm industry depends on 20 percent of the nation to keep them profitable, as most of these gun owners own more than one firearm (quick poll of the DT gun owners- how many of you own more than one firearm? You can give props to the firearm industry for their excellent manipulation of your consumer habits. You did exactly what they want you to do.). So they're thrilled when someone like Holmes buys 4 weapons and thousands of rounds of ammo in a two-month period.

So the firearm industry gets White America worked up over omigawd the brown guy in the White House is going to take our guns away and gun owners obediently file out to buy more firearms, ammunition, whatever the gun industry tells them is going to be taken away from them. And there's not an iota of truth to any of the lies but gun owners are easily manipulated by fear.

And so people like Holmes can purchase 4 guns and 6000 rounds of ammunition in a two-month period, including an assault rifle and there was no way to flag the fact that a guy was accumulating a ridonkuolous amount of firepower or to stop him. And a six-year-old is dead and her mother lies paralyzed in a hospital, still unaware she will never see her child again. And that's just one of the victims.

The fact that the NRA has endorsed Romney, who has signed gun-control legislation (a ban on assault weapons), and not Obama, who has never signed gun-control legislation, nor has he made any effort to push legislation in the past 4 years, should make it really clear that it's not about "freedom" or "safety." It's about business. And corporations are people my friend. What's a six-year-old's life compared to the rights of industry?
we have 17 guns. accumulated them over the years, different calibers, different uses. and i'm no more inclined to commit a crime now than i was when i had none, or bought my first. gun ownership doesn't mean criminal intent. and most people don't want their rights taken away because of the occasional nut job, who would wreak havoc via another method. my big question is considering his mothers comments after, why did no one do a thing when they recognized he was becoming an issue? calls to police or mental health services may have made the difference. also, passing more controls would affect people like me, but not people like holmes. someone hellbent on destruction is going to get his way.
oh, and check out my link above regarding politicizing tragedies like these. your post reminded me of that article.

and yes, the firearm industry gets worked up whenever a dem is in office, regardless of color. i think that point you tried to make is ridiculous.
and crime rates, including violent crimes, have been on a decline. a report said crime overall is the lowest it's been in decades.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

here's an excerpt from an article about crime stats:

'The last time the crime rate for serious crime – murder, rape, robbery, assault – fell to these levels, gasoline cost 29 cents a gallon and the average income for a working American was $5,807.
That was 1963.

In the past 20 years, for instance, the murder rate in the United States has dropped by almost half, from 9.8 per 100,000 people in 1991 to 5.0 in 2009. Meanwhile, robberies were down 10 percent in 2010 from the year before and 8 percent in 2009.'