Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
Happy happy joy joy...a surprise but finally some good news!
Too bad I couldn't delay my knee replacement until the ACA consumer protections kicked in - my insurance company couldn't have been able to refuse to pay 6 months after they approved me for the operation, and thus cost me thousands and thousands of dollars out of pocket.

But at least now the insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover me for arthritis and asthma for the next 50 years
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god View Post
i like scalia's sense of humor during oral argument and his obviously sharp legal mind. i think he went over the line into political commentary in his dissent on arizona. i don't think that kind of dissent helps him persuade other justices and that's all i really care about.

you know what you get with scalia. i don't agree with his judicial philosopy in general but outside of bush v. gore i think his votes are in line with his stated philosophy and aren't overly political. i'd be surprised if he repeats arizona.
Good comments. More fair to Scalia than what I've seen in the press lately. We'll see!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Happy happy joy joy...a surprise but finally some good news!
color me surprised that you would think this is good.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
color me surprised that you would think this is good.
OK, I'm thinking green would be appropriate.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
.....i wonder if states will opt out. if so, how many? and what will that mean if too many opt out? what will that do to the ACA (and this part of the ruling gives lie to the title of the thread btw)?
Such a shame you have me on invisible. Both HiI'mGod and I posted on that already. For the third time in the thread:

Quote:
From ScotusBlog:

Amy Howe: In Plain English: The Affordable Care Act, including its individual mandate that virtually all Americans buy health insurance, is constitutional. There were not five votes to uphold it on the ground that Congress could use its power to regulate commerce between the states to require everyone to buy health insurance. However, five Justices agreed that the penalty that someone must pay if he refuses to buy insurance is a kind of tax that Congress can impose using its taxing power. That is all that matters. Because the mandate survives, the Court did not need to decide what other parts of the statute were constitutional, except for a provision that required states to comply with new eligibility requirements for Medicaid or risk losing their funding. On that question, the Court held that the provision is constitutional as long as states would only lose new funds if they didn't comply with the new requirements, rather than all of their funding.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
OK, I'm thinking green would be appropriate.
This is a huge opening for single payer healthcare. Once the exchanges get up and running in 2014 (they should have already been up and running so people don't remain uninsured), if costs are still too high after a year or two it's simple to just put Medicare on the exchanges for all ages.

Doing that would eliminate the private insurance companies - so I predict they will do very well on competitive exchange pricing for us.

Capitalism and free market competition - it's a good thing
Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Dee Tee Stables

at any rate, i'm disappointed-the screwing of me and the rest of the middle class will only get worse. and i feel that this could be a pyhhric victory for obama, who has won a battle but may end up losing the war.

most americans hate the law. should be an interesting campaign going forward.

wonder when the next amended cbo report comes out, and what this'll do to our spending levels.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Too bad I couldn't delay my knee replacement until the ACA consumer protections kicked in - my insurance company couldn't have been able to refuse to pay 6 months after they approved me for the operation, and thus cost me thousands and thousands of dollars out of pocket.

But at least now the insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover me for arthritis and asthma for the next 50 years
Yeah, now the rich can be taxed until they have nothing left so you don't have to pay anything out of your pocket! How great!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Saratoga

What a scary decision this really is, there is now really no limit to what the government can do. Wonder how many jobs will be lost over this debacle.

The silver lining for this is that this will be just one more nail in the coffin that is Obama's chances of being re-elected.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
at any rate, i'm disappointed-the screwing of me and the rest of the middle class will only get worse. and i feel that this could be a pyhhric victory for obama, who has won a battle but may end up losing the war.

most americans hate the law. should be an interesting campaign going forward.

wonder when the next amended cbo report comes out, and what this'll do to our spending levels.

Good point, hadn't thought of that...reason they passed it was to piss off most Americans and have them make a right turn...just in time for the election...

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
Good point, hadn't thought of that...reason they passed it was to piss off most Americans and have them make a right turn...just in time for the election...
lol
and i hadn't thought of THAT! i doubt that is what produced the ruling tho.

the argument used in the ruling does engender questions for me tho. going forward, what else can the fed now decide is good for us, we must all have, and if we don't they will 'tax'? this just opened up a huge can of worms.
give a pol an inch, he'll take yours and everyone else's too!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Yeah, now the rich can be taxed until they have nothing left so you don't have to pay anything out of your pocket! How great!
The passage of the ACA has nothing to do with taxing the rich. Good lord, that's a crazy statement. Straight out of "Republican Lie Land". No. This is not a $5 billion dollar "tax on America".

And PS: you can't read. I said, " ... and thus cost me thousands and thousands of dollars out of pocket." I paid for my own medical care. Your statement is absurd.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
except most of us who do the paying aren't rich. why they didn't just do single payer is beyond me. that ends the health care provider system. that also removes having all those have to make a profit, which also removes that expense.
good lord, who is going to pay for all this now? oh, wait..i know. the same ones who already pay for everything. it just makes that amount grow.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
except most of us who do the paying aren't rich. why they didn't just do single payer is beyond me. that ends the health care provider system. that also removes having all those have to make a profit, which also removes that expense.
Republicans wouldn't allow it.

Quote:
Good lord, who is going to pay for all this now? oh, wait..i know.
The same funding plan as was included in the law when it was passed two years ago, and has been occurring ever since.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
The passage of the ACA has nothing to do with taxing the rich. Good lord, that's a crazy statement. Straight out of "Republican Lie Land". No. This is not a $5 billion dollar "tax on America".
Really, who is going to pay for it? I can assure you it won't be the insurance companies.

Since the word tax has been redefined this morning, I guess the Obama method of piling on to the deficit, then falsely claiming you did not add to it with nonsensical pie charts and ridiculous accounting methods, then leaving it for later generations to deal with can now be defined as a tax.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
good lord, who is going to pay for all this now? oh, wait..i know. the same ones who already pay for everything. it just makes that amount grow.
Zig, my sarcasm was aimed at how the board troll looks at it. Of course most of who will pay it are those that work their butts off and can't afford to pay for those that refuse to.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Really, who is going to pay for it? I can assure you it won't be the insurance companies.

Since the word tax has been redefined this morning, I guess the Obama method of piling on to the deficit, then falsely claiming you did not add to it with nonsensical pie charts and ridiculous accounting methods, then leaving it for later generations to deal with can now be defined as a tax.
There, there. Your head is exploding.

Don't worry - that is no longer considered an uninsurable pre-existing condition thanks to Obamacare
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
There, there. Your head is exploding.

Don't worry - that is no longer considered an uninsurable pre-existing condition thanks to Obamacare
My head is far from exploding. You are too stupid to understand why this decision is the actual nightmare it is. Everyone here has already learned that there is no explaining anything to you so I won't bother wasting my time.

Gloat you pig. We will all be back in November when your worst nightmare begins, a Mitt Romney presidency with at least one, if not both, houses Republican.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
My head is far from exploding. You are too stupid to understand why this decision is the actual nightmare it is. Everyone here has already learned that there is no explaining anything to you so I won't bother wasting my time.

Gloat you pig. We will all be back in November when your worst nightmare begins, a Mitt Romney presidency with at least one, if not both, houses Republican.
Naw. Your head is exploding
Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Zig, my sarcasm was aimed at how the board troll looks at it. Of course most of who will pay it are those that work their butts off and can't afford to pay for those that refuse to.
yeah, i know. everyone knows that something had to be done to fix the health care mess.
you'd think more would be unhappy that obama made a deal with pharma and the health insurers to produce this bloated abortion of a health 'fix'. but, hey, why worry? this only will cause current medicaid spendiing to explode-and many states are already hurting with their current budget. so, eventually taxes will have to be increased dramatically to pay for all these 'fixes'.

better to have taken a hit jobs-wise in the short run (bcbs, aetna, humana, etc would all have shut down) and have a proper fix in the long run. but no, let's just make a confusing patchwork of rules and regulations and subsidize a family of four with almost 70k in income, we'll worry about how to pay for it all later.
so, i'll keep paying monthly for health insurance, as i always have. i won't see any price decreases...but there will be a corresponding increase in taxes, because how else will increased medicaid and those subsidies be paid for? it would have been better to just have everyone pay a tax for health care, cradle to grave coverage, because then i wouldn't have hundreds per month going to united healthcare anymore. i'll still have that to pay, and new taxes coming as well.