Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Del Mar

Default 2007 Thread Of The Year Nominations

I was just reading a thread and there was a comment about it being one of the funniest ever and got to thinking there's been some real doozies over 2007 so.....would anyone want to nominate a thread for "THREAD OF THE YEAR". I would expect the professional posters would remember some good ones (that were not deleted).

What is your choice? Can be funy, informative, whatever. You know, kinda like horse of the year, picture of the year, only this will be thread of the year.

Any takers?????
Old 12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Saratoga

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...414#post294414

Wow, we think a lot alike...
Old 12-13-2007, 05:15 PM
The Curragh

The Original "Sumwon Thread" -

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...hlight=auction
Old 12-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
The Original "Sumwon Thread"
Wow, yeah, that was an awesome day, and it's my vote for thread of the year, too. Good suggestion! How far we have come!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Arlington Park

Any nominated thread that does not contain a contribution from PG1985 must immediately be tossed in my opinion. He has to be included.
Off the top of my head, the one where he asked us all if we thought Nobiz like Showbiz was unbeatable is a classic.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 PM
The Curragh

I don't know if those threads exist anymore.

My personal favorite was toward the end when he said he stayed he stayed up all night capping because "the great ones never quit..."

It was all entertaining in a strange way, kind of like watching a train wreck...
Old 12-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacdaddy

My personal favorite was toward the end when he said he stayed he stayed up all night capping because "the great ones never quit..."
It was all entertaining in a strange way, kind of like watching a train wreck...
I'm still laughing out loud.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 12-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Goodwood

Quote:

Here it is in all it's glory....

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTGIVEN1985
friend of mine for years now, and yes he recived both tips from the barns, so as you can see im disgusted with my friend and the barn, bottom line is the great ones never stop, and im handicapping all night tonight and around midnight i will post my plays for tommorw, now if i go south again tommorw its time for a week off.
Above quote from this thread....
http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...eat#post182681
Old 12-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Any nominated thread that does not contain a contribution from PG1985 must immediately be tossed in my opinion. He has to be included.
Off the top of my head, the one where he asked us all if we thought Nobiz like Showbiz was unbeatable is a classic.
i'll agree with that, pg definitely has to be considered. one of my favorites is when we first caught him posting fake bets. the thread may be gone now but first he posted that he was done for the day, broke. two minutes later he posts that he had just made some big pick three play. but earlier in the day he said he doesn't bet online so i asked him how in the world he got the pick three bet in so fast. his answer? there is an OTB just behind his back yard and he ran over and back very fast.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
i'll agree with that, pg definitely has to be considered. one of my favorites is when we first caught him posting fake bets. the thread may be gone now but first he posted that he was done for the day, broke. two minutes later he posts that he had just made some big pick three play. but earlier in the day he said he doesn't bet online so i asked him how in the world he got the pick three bet in so fast. his answer? there is an OTB just behind his back yard and he ran over and back very fast.
Didn't that turn into him wanting to meet someone at the OTB and settle things because they only lived 10 minutes apart? Pillow, Dahoss or someone else?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Here it is in all it's glory....

Above quote from this thread....
http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...eat#post182681
Nice work Bigs.... That one is burned into my mind forever.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Didn't that turn into him wanting to meet someone at the OTB and settle things because they only lived 10 minutes apart? Pillow, Dahoss or someone else?

Cant imagine Hossy causing any controversy...
Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
yep, it was dahoss, pg said to meet him at some bar to he could show him the ticket. i can't stop laughing remembering all that stuff.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:20 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
I believe it was Dahoss. He insisted he would show him the tickets.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
I believe it was Dahoss. He insisted he would show him the tickets.
Where on earth has DaHoss been?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Arlington Park

I think the thread of the year is this one:
http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10951

This 11 page PG1985 thread is a classic. With contributions from all-time greats GRITS, Java Gold, kentuckyrosesinmay, and the man himself, PG1985.....this one is hard to top.
Although reading through it was a bit humbling (why did I like Notional so much?) it is still amusing. The topic is top 5 derby horses and the highlights include:

Java Gold: "Cobalt Blue...who cares about the rest...Java out."
PG1985: "i have a super sleeper, but i have no clue where he is ?"
kentuckyrosesinmay: "I will be very surprised in Street Sense is even in the starting gate."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "Both horses aren't nearly as pretty moving as they were as two year olds. You can pick stuff like this out if you know what you are looking for. Both looked sore to me, especially Street Sense. He doesn't even look like the same horse because he hits the ground so quick now. Any Given Saturday also hits the ground a little quicker than he did as a two year old."
King Glorious: "Only two horses have a chance to win the Derby. The exacta will be Notional and Circular Quay. Haven't decided the order but they are sure to be 1-2."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "Not all horses who are sore will walk sore. Bute hides a lot of things....That's why the people that I am associated with feel the horse's legs at the two year old sales."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "I can tell an enourmous amount about a horse by watching videos of the horses without even being around them. It ties into why they make videos of the horses at the two year old sales."

All of these are just from the first 4 pages of this highly entertaining thread.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:22 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:

This 11 page PG1985 thread is a classic. With contributions from all-time greats GRITS, Java Gold, kentuckyrosesinmay, and the man himself, PG1985.....this one is hard to top.
Although reading through it was a bit humbling (why did I like Notional so much?) it is still amusing. The topic is top 5 derby horses and the highlights include:

kentuckyrosesinmay: "I will be very surprised in Street Sense is even in the starting gate."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "Both horses aren't nearly as pretty moving as they were as two year olds. You can pick stuff like this out if you know what you are looking for. Both looked sore to me, especially Street Sense. He doesn't even look like the same horse because he hits the ground so quick now. Any Given Saturday also hits the ground a little quicker than he did as a two year old."
King Glorious: "Only two horses have a chance to win the Derby. The exacta will be Notional and Circular Quay. Haven't decided the order but they are sure to be 1-2."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "Not all horses who are sore will walk sore. Bute hides a lot of things....That's why the people that I am associated with feel the horse's legs at the two year old sales."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "I can tell an enourmous amount about a horse by watching videos of the horses without even being around them. It ties into why they make videos of the horses at the two year old sales."

All of these are just from the first 4 pages of this highly entertaining thread.

Bless you for pointing out these classics.....I will fall asleep with a smile on my face tonight...
Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:

Tons of people at Street Sense as their top choice at the time of that thread. I wonder how many of them wagered on him.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Coach Pants

Top 5 derby horses...

LMAO!! What a classic.

Who can forget?

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...&postcount=129
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Newmarket

what a hoot! that top five derby horse thread had everything in it.
a worthly nomination, people were hitting on all cylinders on that one.