Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Golden Gate

I guess I would be in the minority, but the BC is always my favorite day of the year. The day the advance edition comes out I buy it and look over it every night. I take off Friday from work and wake up at 6 am on Sat like a little kid at Christmas. I'm surprised to see how many people didn't watch it or just casually watched it. I can say I watched every minute of it and rewatched most of it Sunday.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Goodwood

It was in the bottom 20% for me, not because I did poorly (I did) or the facility (I love Monmouth Park and hope they go back) but because of the weather and the loss of George Washington. All the months of preparing ruined by the rain...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i'm sure some of us are more up for some super bowls over others as well. i don't think it's an indication of lack of interest.
strange tho that some of us were out of it when we had the best showing of top three year old talent in some time. guess maybe it doesn't matter as much as some thought...
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Randwyck

I had a great day -- a great week for that matter. The BC has a way of getting you charged up. Sure, the weather was bad, but I don't/didn't even think about that, nor would I dwell on it. I think Monmouth did a fantasic job and they will probably be in the running again in the future. They may move the dates a bit, or change some of the logistics, make it part of a larger meet, etc. That could all depend on where NJ racing is going vis a vis the Meadowlands, Monmouth, VLT's, and so on.

I've always enjoyed Monmouth, the facililty, racing, etc. and having the BC there was great. And, I got to see a super performance by the soon to be named Horse Of The Year. Hope everyone had a great day.

Eric
Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Gulfstream Park

This was only the 4th Breeder's Cup I've watched, as I didn't get attached to horse racing until early in '04. Last year at Churchill was the first I attended, and made the trip to Monmouth this year.

Monmouth is a beautiful track. The weather didn't cooperate, but I liked the setup nonetheless. I am making plans to head back there in the summer to see it w/o the bleachers set up. I know I won't be dissappointed.

I think they did a good job of hosting BC. Everything went smooth for me the entire time I was there. The track conditions did affect my handicapping; I know I would have had a better 2 days at the windows if the rain would've stayed away.

The one thing I enjoyed the most was being around true, die-hard horseplayers for 3 days. I haven't found too many in Kentucky, and most of the horseplayers I meet constantly want to bitch and moan about jockeys and trainers. In Jersey, I actually got to talk to several people about the horses themselves. On more than one occasion my wife saw the look in my eyes and told me, "No, I don't want to move up here".

Overall, my experience was great. The people I met and places I went were well above par. I can't wait to do it again!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Hollywood Park

Default I'm pretty sure this was the worst for me...

The first one I really remember getting pumped up for was 1991, though I'm sure I watched before that. I've been to the BC in 2001 and 2005 at BEL and was supposed to go to this one at MTH. The reasons for my feelings of this being the worst for me:

Weather - obviously nothing can be done about the weather but what made it worse this year is that it was 2 days worth of racing (so I'm even more pumped up) but the weather ruined it. I went on Friday for 2 races and had to leave. We didn't go at all on Saturday. It's tough to pull this off in the NorthEast, but I'm sure they'll be back at BEL and I'm sure I'll go.

Venue - when they first announced that it was going to be at Monmouth, we said there was no way we would go because it is too small, and what if it rains? Well excitement superceeded sanity and we applied for seats. Not cheap seats and both days, so our expectations were that we would end up with good to decent seats. Well, whether this is Breeders Cup or Monmouth we took it up the a$$ when it came to our seats. We applied for seats ranging from the most expensive to the seats located on the apron. I believe the prices ranged from $250 - $160. We ended up with apron seats for both days, and the worst apron seats you could find. On Friday our seats were tolerable, inside the 1/8 pole about 1/4 of the way to the 1/16 pole (Section 801). Somehow our seats for Saturday were in section 811, which was at the top of the stretch (basically near the playground for you regular Monmouth goers) 4th row from the rail. So not only were we as far away from the finish line as you could be, but we were at ground level. What kind of moron made the decision to have 15 rows of folding chairs at ground level before starting the risers? You couldn't see the finish line with binocuars. So, after 2 races in a downpour on Friday and knowing that we'd be watching 99% of each race on the big screen in front of us Saturday, we bagged it. Ended up eating $765 worth of tickets, two days worth for 4 and a parking pass (which really annoys me because I've got a parking sticker). I really feel as though some of the seats were misrepresented when the initial maps went out. You can't have 15 rows of seats on the ground costing more than the temp bleacher seats behind them.

Wagering - one abbreviation, NJBETS. What a disgrace. So after all of the above I spent 75% of the day trying to get bets in to this joke of a system, some of which I didn't get in, instead of being able to just relax and enjoy what I could with the small party I had at my house. Of course my friend had no trouble at all betting on his NYCOTB account, which I have as well, but thought I'd be a good NJ resident and abide by the law. Probably cost me money, but can't really swear to it. I know I missed out on the Midnight Lute/Idiot Proof exacta, which I would've had pretty good.

So, all of the above combined makes this even worse than the day when we got into a car accident on the way to my friends house to watch the races. Some idiot made a left turn right into my truck. If it wasn't bad enough that it was my Wife's birthday, the accident took away any chance we had to talk about the pick 6. I put in the bet, from the side of the road. After the police officer drove us home to get our other car we headed into manhattan. We got there for the Sprint and my Wife says I like Reraise bet him across the board for me. Well, I've got Kona Gold, Affirmed Success and someone else in the Pk6, but no Reraise. The rest is history and I go home with 5 out of 6. Now imagine this past BC being worse than that.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. I'm sure everyone else enjoyed their day more than I.

Last edited by NoLuvForPletch : 10-31-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuvForPletch

Venue - when they first announced that it was going to be at Monmouth, we said there was no way we would go because it is too small, and what if it rains? Well excitement superceeded sanity and we applied for seats. Not cheap seats and both days, so our expectations were that we would end up with good to decent seats. Well, whether this is Breeders Cup or Monmouth we took it up the a$$ when it came to our seats. We applied for seats ranging from the most expensive to the seats located on the apron. I believe the prices ranged from $250 - $160. We ended up with apron seats for both days, and the worst apron seats you could find. On Friday our seats were tolerable, inside the 1/8 pole about 1/4 of the way to the 1/16 pole (Section 801). Somehow our seats for Saturday were in section 811, which was at the top of the stretch (basically near the playground for you regular Monmouth goers) 4th row from the rail. So not only were we as far away from the finish line as you could be, but we were at ground level. What kind of moron made the decision to have 15 rows of folding chairs at ground level before starting the risers? You couldn't see the finish line with binocuars. So, after 2 races in a downpour on Friday and knowing that we'd be watching 99% of each race on the big screen in front of us Saturday, we bagged it. Ended up eating $765 worth of tickets, two days worth for 4 and a parking pass (which really annoys me because I've got a parking sticker). I really feel as though some of the seats were misrepresented when the initial maps went out. You can't have 15 rows of seats on the ground costing more than the temp bleacher seats behind them.
My seats were basically the same as yours NLFP. Saturday was impossible to see as you predicted. I applied for the most expensive seats (that were not in a restaurant or special area) for both days and got those crap seats.

So, to answer the original question, it was by far the worst BC for me. This was my 7th BC and as I sat there staring at the big screen in the infield (that had several bad light bulbs in it, why they couldn't get it working correctly for two days is beyond me), not hearing any of Trevor Denmon's calls, trying to keep my racing form, mutuel tickets and myself dry, I thought to myself that this may be my last BC. Why pay $160 a seat (as well as plane ticket, rental car and hotel) to not see anything but the turn to the 1/8th pole because I was in a folding chair on the blacktop, when I can stay home and wager on line?

As far as ranking the racing portion of the BC, I'll give it a pass because of the conditions.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Santa Anita

I thought it was the same as all the others. We get too caught up in the field strength and all that. Weather is weather...it happens all the time. IT's not the first time it ever rained at a horse track or even at the BC. I think it is very conceivable the weather played no factor whatsoever in the races. With perfect weather, it is not inconceivable to think every single winner would have been the same in every race. You got huge performances from Corinthian and Curlin pulling in 119 Beyers. You had a 2 yr old pulling in a 113 Beyer. You had the best American turf hose running in his 3rd straight Turf and went from 5th to 3rd to 1st. What was wrong with the Classic field?? You had the 1-2-3 finishers from the turf race last year running in it again this year along with the European star....how much better could that field have been?? You had two undefeated 2 yr olds destroying the fields. What's wrong with that?? MIdnight Lute gave a strong performance.

It was the Breeders Cup. You had good horses and good fields just like other years. Personally I thought the performances were better than any of the last 3 at CD, Belmont, and Lone Star.

It was fine. Weather is uncontrollable.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
The Curragh

I was less excited by this BC than any other. I think the addition of the Friday races was one negative factor. As kasept predicted, it diluted the excitement.

The track conditions were not a big negative for me. Most of the better horses performed well regardless. But there just wasn't much excitement about the entries. For instance, the Distaff is usually a compelling race for me, but this year it seemed blah. Definitely no Winning Colors vs Personal Ensign. Same with most of the other events besides the Classic.

--Dunbar
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Churchill Downs

I think this is the first time I've come out firmly ahead in several years. Track conditions really help narrow down these deep, deep fields for me. Sure I ended up tossing a few winners simply because of track conditions (English Channel), but the Maryfields and Kip Deville's of the world more than made up for it at the end of the weekend.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Churchill Downs

This yrs BC was crap.

1) Track conditions were sloppy and crappy
2) The addition of 3 more races makes shorter fields in the classic. Without the dirt mile, we might have seen wanderin boy, corinthian, discreet cat and others fill in the BC Classic field making it a fat 12 horse + field.

The 16 race BC program next yr will bring even shorter fields.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Randwyck

I think the racing was great. I'm biased, but regardless, I thought the racing was great. Jeez, how can you not be impressed with what Curlin has done this year. Most impressive performance of the day, and off the cuff, Midnight Lute second, Corinthian third; maybe I'm missing something.

The weather was lousy. It was what it was, Mother Nature -- what can you do. I think "Monmouth Park" as a facility was great. I think they did a super job, facility wise. The teller situation seemed very good, concession stands as well, and there didn't seem to be too many people in a facility that couldn't handle it. The ticket distribution and pricing strucuture is the abolsute worst I've ever seen it. In all the years of the Breeders Cup, it has now achieved a level of being pathetic. It must be changed. The Breeders Cup needs to be "a lot more" of a lot -- a lot more accessible to the masses, customer friendly and conducive, etc. Of course, this is not a host track issue however, it's a Breeders Cup issue.

I believe that the mindset of the Breeders Cup people/management is that they are more concerned about the business aspect, corporate sponsorship, revenues, etc. -- than they are about the show.

Eric
Old 10-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Belmont Park

After initially destesting the idea of the Friday -Saturday format, I must admit I LOVE it - Man, taking the afternoon off on Friday to head over to the track (locally, not Monmouth ) for the prelude to Super Saturday was awesome, and something I'll look forward to for years to come.

Overall the racing was above par - and the Classic was one for the ages (save for GW ). Such a shame that the weather played such a huge factor, but one way to look at it is that we had the chance to see what truely great horses will overcome to become champions.

English Channel's Victory in the Turf was epic; what a way to go out!...Ginger Punch silencing (finally!) her critics, the list goes on.....The only strange twist was that I was glad I didn't go this year, and enjoyed the day from home....Nothing against Monmouth, but it ain't Santa Anita
Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
pgardn

Too bad the track was sloppy but I really enjoyed
the Classic. And of course English Channel winning
the turf in the manner he did was wonderful. The sprint
was really impressive. I enjoyed it.

George Washington's mishap clearly put a damper
on things. The racing itself was enjoyable for me.
Of course I like it almost every year.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Santa Anita

I really enjoyed it until I heard about George Washington. That totally ruined the day for me unfortunately.

I loved the racing up to that point though, despite the weather. Highlights for me were Indian Blessing, War Pass, Midnight Lute and the stretch battle in the Distaff.

I'm hoping next year's will be better.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Gulfstream Park

Its too bad the weather had to suck. I thought the fields for both the Classic and Sprint were excellent. Top performances of the day? Midnight Lute and War Pass. Haven't seen Midnight Lute's Beyer but I'm guessing its in the 120 neighborhood. The Turf could've been a great field if some more top Euros came over; it did have two previous BC Turf winners and an Arc winner.

top performance: Midnight Lute
most tenacious: Ginger Punch
biggest disappointment: Dylan Thomas
worst decision: running GW on the main track, and in slop at that
Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
Its too bad the weather had to suck. I thought the fields for both the Classic and Sprint were excellent. Top performances of the day? Midnight Lute and War Pass. Haven't seen Midnight Lute's Beyer but I'm guessing its in the 120 neighborhood. The Turf could've been a great field if some more top Euros came over; it did have two previous BC Turf winners and an Arc winner.

top performance: Midnight Lute
most tenacious: Ginger Punch
biggest disappointment: Dylan Thomas
worst decision: running GW on the main track, and in slop at that
Only 108. . . Seems off
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Pimlico

Any other day of the year those horses would of sratched and never ran on a track like that. Had to be the worst day for the Breeders Cup races. In the future they will need a all weather track.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
I think the racing was great. I'm biased, but regardless, I thought the racing was great. Jeez, how can you not be impressed with what Curlin has done this year. Most impressive performance of the day, and off the cuff, Midnight Lute second, Corinthian third; maybe I'm missing something.

The weather was lousy. It was what it was, Mother Nature -- what can you do. I think "Monmouth Park" as a facility was great. I think they did a super job, facility wise. The teller situation seemed very good, concession stands as well, and there didn't seem to be too many people in a facility that couldn't handle it. The ticket distribution and pricing strucuture is the abolsute worst I've ever seen it. In all the years of the Breeders Cup, it has now achieved a level of being pathetic. It must be changed. The Breeders Cup needs to be "a lot more" of a lot -- a lot more accessible to the masses, customer friendly and conducive, etc. Of course, this is not a host track issue however, it's a Breeders Cup issue.

I believe that the mindset of the Breeders Cup people/management is that they are more concerned about the business aspect, corporate sponsorship, revenues, etc. -- than they are about the show.

Eric
I agree, there were some 'wow' performances on the day, even the Distaff division, which everyone had been saying was very dull outside of RTR, gave the best horse to horse battle down the stretch.

Because of Mother Nature I can say I was definitely glad to be watching from home though.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Randwyck

I hate the #'s game, but I came up with about the same, so I think that # is somewhat on. I think Curlin's # will be substantially higher. I won't throw it out there but I think you are at 10% or so.

My "impressive" performances weren't based on #'s however.

Anyway, I can apprecaite watching from home. I like that too, often better than live. I'm just glad it was a great BC week.

Eric