Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2023, 05:10 PM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default Todays Word

CONCILIATION

NOUN
the action of stopping someone from being angry; placation:
"he held his hands up in a gesture of conciliation"

My respect for Steve Byk and what he's done to promote this great game.

Supersedes my great desire to right wrongs and hold people accountable.

I'm far from guiltless in this melodrama as well.

I know this is pissing on a forest fire but again I'm going to attempt to proceed by taking the high road.

Since I've put numbnuts on ignore and since BTW made it clear he ignores everything I post perhaps there's a chance of that.

In fact, he won't even know the text of this post if he's being truthful.

With Aqueduct canceled the next two days

I invite you to join us at Oaklawn. The Friday card is tough but doable.

Saturday's looks like BIG FUN.

First post is 12:30cst.

Let's GO!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2023, 05:22 AM
jms62's Avatar
jms62 jms62 is offline
Saratoga
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
CONCILIATION

NOUN
the action of stopping someone from being angry; placation:
"he held his hands up in a gesture of conciliation"

My respect for Steve Byk and what he's done to promote this great game.

Supersedes my great desire to right wrongs and hold people accountable.

I'm far from guiltless in this melodrama as well.

I know this is pissing on a forest fire but again I'm going to attempt to proceed by taking the high road.

Since I've put numbnuts on ignore and since BTW made it clear he ignores everything I post perhaps there's a chance of that.

In fact, he won't even know the text of this post if he's being truthful.

With Aqueduct canceled the next two days

I invite you to join us at Oaklawn. The Friday card is tough but doable.

Saturday's looks like BIG FUN.

First post is 12:30cst.

Let's GO!
Probably a World Record for leaving the "High Road"
__________________
"Who won?"

Damar Hamlin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2023, 09:24 AM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Probably a World Record for leaving the "High Road"
The HIGH ROAD I was speaking of was I decided not to send all the crap BTW has posted over the years to NYRA.

I did that for a couple reasons.

1) This is Steve Byk's site and I don't want to involve him in any way that rises to that level. He's NEVER treated me with anything but 100% respect and I don't want to sully that.

2) I've always said I do this banter because it's mindless internet fun that I don't take seriously or personally. To expand on anything would belie that.

Of course, I know I have the option to walk away from all this nonsense. I've done that before. But I don't like being bullied or threatened so I trudge forward knowing full well it's hopeless.

I used to say I did that because I wanted to interact with real people, real horseplayers. There doesn't seem to be any left here. They've all had better sense than me and gone elsewhere.

The HIGH ROAD has been closed to BTW and Numbnuts for a very long time. My search doesn't involve them. It was offered many times over the years and rejected.

I don't put BTW on ignore because when he's not going low he's an interesting, knowledgeable member of our industry who occasionally offers things that are thought provoking.

As for Numbnuts. As incredible as it may seem. For years I never knew there was an ignore feature. I truly didn't. I haven't read one word of his drivel and hate since Christmas and it's been like a soul cleansing. I REALLY HAVEN'T READ A WORD. And have no intention of EVER reading another.

As for you, I don't remember you being this aggressive. I must have said something you especially didn't like. Oh well. That's happens on sites like this. Some of the things you've said in the past seem to indicate a feel for our game and handicapping. To me that means there's hope.

If you wish to trade view on those lines, I'm in. If not, no hard feelings. Truthfully, I don't really care.

My DT life has run in cycles, olive branch, futility, fight back, threaten, back off, olive branch, hiatus et el.

I have a feeling hiatus is next up, but we'll see.

Since BTW has made it clear he doesn't read what I post. And since I don't read what Numbnuts says it may just fritter away on its own.

1st post at Oaklawn today is 12:30 cst.

Interesting, tough card, with opportunities.

Let's GO!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2023, 09:35 AM
Dahoss Dahoss is offline
Keeneland
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,295
Default

Again, just when you think youíve seen Vic at his lowest point, he always can go lower.

Which is why heís universally hated within the sport and by anyone with an IQ above 60.

Itís also why heís stuck in Arkansas, instead of where heíd really like to be.

His need to make this thread shows what a complete buffoon he is.

The ironic thing here isÖheís the one making threats. Heís the bully.

Everyone can see that, which is why NO ONE ever defends his stupidity.

Honestly, if I cared, I would reach out to Oaklawn. Because heís a complete embarrassment to the sport and they should see what heís doing. But I just like watching Vic make a complete fool of himself.

Heís good like that. He never disappoints.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2023, 10:41 AM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default Here Another Word "wow"

WOW!

Just finished up my capping for today and I like a horse as much as any so far this meeting.

Race 8 #11 TOO PRETTY (named after Tina)

Go back and watch the replay of her last. If you want to see a horse that hated a wet track it was her. Interesting thing though it wasn't obvious like some are when they don't favor the footing. She broke right with her field and was doing it ok when not being rushed. Watch what happens when the tempo quickens into the far turn. She can't keep up and I'm sure it was because she was spinning her wheels on a track she WAS NOT comfortable on. Even Arrietta reacts like she was trying to walk across an ice rink in spike heels. He takes hold of her and angles her to the inside to save some ground. I'm sure thinking she's going to finish far back. But she actually re-rallies a bit, gets back into the bit and finishes pretty well. The two fillies that finished 1-2 are the two best Arkansas Bred sprinting fillies on the grounds. CONNIE K came back to set the pace vs open company in a $150,000 Stakes and SUMMER SHOES ran great in an open allowance last weekend. UNBRIDLED TWISTER will be less than 2-1. She comes out of the same race and couldn't have gotten a sweeter trip sitting just off the dueling leaders. She was a no excuse 3rd and only beat our filly by 2 3/4 lengths. There's more! The two fillies I spoke of earlier are not only the two best Arky breds going short. They are the two fastest in terms of early speed. With them gone there's a paucity of gas in this race. If she breaks. The 11 hole is perfect! I think TOO PRETTY can clear these and do it without even having to go very fast to get it done. Danny Peitz is a guy that doesn't crack hard off the layoff but that said I think this filly was well meant last out. It's almost impossible to like a horse more than I like this filly. She's 8-1 on the line. That's a stretch but I don't see her drifting below 4-1 / 7/2. TWISTER will be 8/5 KABOOM BABY & RICHNESS will both take $$. And PATTERN BET who I don't like at all will also take cash because both MOQUETT and BEJARANO have been on fire.

RACE 8 OAKLAWN #11 TOO PRETTY

Let's Go!

Please don't tell anyone
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2023, 02:16 PM
moses's Avatar
moses moses is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Again, just when you think you’ve seen Vic at his lowest point, he always can go lower.

Which is why he’s universally hated within the sport and by anyone with an IQ above 60.

It’s also why he’s stuck in Arkansas, instead of where he’d really like to be.

His need to make this thread shows what a complete buffoon he is.

The ironic thing here is…he’s the one making threats. He’s the bully.

Everyone can see that, which is why NO ONE ever defends his stupidity.

Honestly, if I cared, I would reach out to Oaklawn. Because he’s a complete embarrassment to the sport and they should see what he’s doing. But I just like watching Vic make a complete fool of himself.

He’s good like that. He never disappoints.
When we drove to Texas, our friend who’s made the trip a number of times gave us one piece of advice: “don’t stop in Arkansas.”
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:29 PM
cakes44's Avatar
cakes44 cakes44 is offline
The Curragh
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,733
Default

You know who a true nobody in the game is: me.

A math teacher/football coach in Omaha who is a weekend warrior at best in this game. But man, from an outsider like me…Vic, it’s clearly not all you, but it’s time for a break from the message boards my man.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:37 PM
cal828 cal828 is offline
Havre de Grace
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
When we drove to Texas, our friend whoís made the trip a number of times gave us one piece of advice: ďdonít stop in Arkansas.Ē
Depending on the situation, you might be well advised to stop in Arkansas. In last year's ice storm 246 people lost their lives in Texas. In Arkansas 0. Even in recent tornadic activity, tornadoes struck in states all around us including Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. None in Arkansas and to my knowledge a hurricane has never struck Arkansas.

Not sure what your friend was referring to, but I don't think there is a whole lot of difference in people from Arkansas or Texas. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at, there are lots of MAGA folks both here and there. I am one of the non- MAGAS, but its kind of lonely here in Arkansas. Still prefer it to other places I've been.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:29 PM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
WOW!

Just finished up my capping for today and I like a horse as much as any so far this meeting.

Race 8 #11 TOO PRETTY (named after Tina)

Go back and watch the replay of her last. If you want to see a horse that hated a wet track it was her. Interesting thing though it wasn't obvious like some are when they don't favor the footing. She broke right with her field and was doing it ok when not being rushed. Watch what happens when the tempo quickens into the far turn. She can't keep up and I'm sure it was because she was spinning her wheels on a track she WAS NOT comfortable on. Even Arrietta reacts like she was trying to walk across an ice rink in spike heels. He takes hold of her and angles her to the inside to save some ground. I'm sure thinking she's going to finish far back. But she actually re-rallies a bit, gets back into the bit and finishes pretty well. The two fillies that finished 1-2 are the two best Arkansas Bred sprinting fillies on the grounds. CONNIE K came back to set the pace vs open company in a $150,000 Stakes and SUMMER SHOES ran great in an open allowance last weekend. UNBRIDLED TWISTER will be less than 2-1. She comes out of the same race and couldn't have gotten a sweeter trip sitting just off the dueling leaders. She was a no excuse 3rd and only beat our filly by 2 3/4 lengths. There's more! The two fillies I spoke of earlier are not only the two best Arky breds going short. They are the two fastest in terms of early speed. With them gone there's a paucity of gas in this race. If she breaks. The 11 hole is perfect! I think TOO PRETTY can clear these and do it without even having to go very fast to get it done. Danny Peitz is a guy that doesn't crack hard off the layoff but that said I think this filly was well meant last out. It's almost impossible to like a horse more than I like this filly. She's 8-1 on the line. That's a stretch but I don't see her drifting below 4-1 / 7/2. TWISTER will be 8/5 KABOOM BABY & RICHNESS will both take $$. And PATTERN BET who I don't like at all will also take cash because both MOQUETT and BEJARANO have been on fire.

RACE 8 OAKLAWN #11 TOO PRETTY

Let's Go!

Please don't tell anyone
Here's another word of the day....EXCUSELESS

Sorry for that lame pick today.

I knew I was in trouble from the second betting opened on her race. I thought ok cool she opened at 9/2 from an 8-1 morning like. Then I realized she was that price only because of my bet.

She proceeded to be a big red lobster on the board and ran like she was bet which was not at all.

I had very brief hope when she broke really well and ranged up three wide at the quarter pole. But that hope was soon gone.

Nothing down the lane.

Did she not like the track again?

Can't use that. This track today while listed as muddy didn't seem to compromise anyone.

Bottom line I was just flat wrong.

Oh well, we'll get the next one.

Back at it tomorrow at 12:30. 10 more chances to be smart.

Let's GO!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:31 PM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
When we drove to Texas, our friend whoís made the trip a number of times gave us one piece of advice: ďdonít stop in Arkansas.Ē
Why? What's wrong with Arkansas?

I think it's a pretty terrific place!

Tina and I have made it our year round home.

Like it a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:36 PM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
You know who a true nobody in the game is: me.

A math teacher/football coach in Omaha who is a weekend warrior at best in this game. But man, from an outsider like meÖVic, itís clearly not all you, but itís time for a break from the message boards my man.
I'll take that under advisement. But it begs the question why do you care what I do? This is a horse racing forum. People comment on horse racing. What makes you think I or more importantly others care what YOU think I should do?

Good luck with your football team. I officiated some High School football this year and told the white hat I'm not coming back next year unless the umpire can be in the offensive backfield with him.

I got bowled over way too many times. Especially when the kids starting using me as a pick to shed defenders.

Check please!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2023, 11:22 PM
moses's Avatar
moses moses is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
Depending on the situation, you might be well advised to stop in Arkansas. In last year's ice storm 246 people lost their lives in Texas. In Arkansas 0. Even in recent tornadic activity, tornadoes struck in states all around us including Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. None in Arkansas and to my knowledge a hurricane has never struck Arkansas.

Not sure what your friend was referring to, but I don't think there is a whole lot of difference in people from Arkansas or Texas. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at, there are lots of MAGA folks both here and there. I am one of the non- MAGAS, but its kind of lonely here in Arkansas. Still prefer it to other places I've been.
To be fair, I didnít include the fact that despite our friendís advice we DID make a few stops in Arkansas and it was perfectly fine. We stopped at a Walmart in Benton and I believe a rest stop near the western border. We also stopped somewhere on the way back but I donít recall where.

I will say when we first entered Arkansas, there was a long stretch of what seemed like endless amounts of empty land. It was kind of depressing. But all in all, not terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2023, 11:47 PM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
To be fair, I didnít include the fact that despite our friendís advice we DID make a few stops in Arkansas and it was perfectly fine. We stopped at a Walmart in Benton and I believe a rest stop near the western border. We also stopped somewhere on the way back but I donít recall where.

I will say when we first entered Arkansas, there was a long stretch of what seemed like endless amounts of empty land. It was kind of depressing. But all in all, not terrible.
Hot Springs is very cool. Vacation destination all year round. So many cool things to do and see.

Several really nice golf courses.

Little Rock has most of the things BIG cities have.

The Robinson Center gets all the BIG Broadway Touring shows.

Fine dining.

One of my favorite things is the Bill Clinton Presidential Library.

Can spend an entire day there.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-04-2023, 08:30 AM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
You know who a true nobody in the game is: me.

A math teacher/football coach in Omaha who is a weekend warrior at best in this game. But man, from an outsider like meÖVic, itís clearly not all you, but itís time for a break from the message boards my man.
How old are you Cakes?

Was Ak-Sar-Ben part of your life?

What a place. It was like Oaklawn is now. The races on the weekend would be packed with great lovers of the sport.

Must have been 30 buses from Kansas City and another 15 from Des Moines every Saturday.

John Lively, Jack Van Berg, Bobby Lester, Don Von Hemel, Benny Glass, Hoss Inman, Herb Reicken, Who Doctor Who, Dazzling Falls, Chuck Turco, Chuck Taliafero, Orphan Kist, Leaping Plum, Butch Moss, Amadevil, Tommy Greer, Pat Steinberg, Terry Wallace what a time and place it was.

The politicians in Nebraska were incredible, gothic morons allowing Iowa to get casinos while blocking them in their state. Council Bluffs got one 7 miles from downtown Omaha and a few years later AK was gone.

I called the last race ever run there.

Nothing special in the call because at the time nobody realized the end had come.

OMG and the steak houses!

Anthony's, The Drover (whiskey steak), Gorat's!!

RIP Nebraska spelled backwards!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-06-2023, 10:37 AM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
You know who a true nobody in the game is: me.

A math teacher/football coach in Omaha who is a weekend warrior at best in this game. But man, from an outsider like me…Vic, it’s clearly not all you, but it’s time for a break from the message boards my man.
C'mon Cakes. You seem like a regular guy. I took your advice to heart.

I wrote all that stuff about Omaha and Ak-Sar-Ben to hopefully start a positive dialog.

I think normal discourse is allowed.

I could use a friend on here. Or at least a non-total hater.

We're you around when Ak-Sar-Ben was in its heyday?

For those of you that don't know the history of Ak-Sar-Ben.

The racetrack was founded as a non-profit charity by super rich power dudes in Nebraska. They called themselves the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben. They felt EVERYTHING in Nebraska was all f'ed up and backwards. Hence the name.

These were the biggest most powerful guys. Mr. Mutuel Of Omaha, Mr. Con Agra et al.

Of all the great work they did. Revenue from the racetrack produced by far the most money for charity.

They funded 4-H, built hospitals, parks, infrastructure.

I'm not sure but I'd guess the Knight's still exist to this day.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-06-2023, 07:38 PM
cakes44's Avatar
cakes44 cakes44 is offline
The Curragh
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,733
Default

Iím 46. Unfortunately Ak-Sar-Ben closed in 1995 I believe, so I never got a chance to go all-in. My old man would take us 3 kids there back in the day and heíd let us pick some horses to show, but that was about it. My old man is one of those guys that does better from action bets and just looking at the odds than most. I didnít become a ďdegenerateĒ until about 2001.

And yes, Omaha can definitely do steaks. Ainít nobody better there.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-07-2023, 07:41 PM
v j stauffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Iím 46. Unfortunately Ak-Sar-Ben closed in 1995 I believe, so I never got a chance to go all-in. My old man would take us 3 kids there back in the day and heíd let us pick some horses to show, but that was about it. My old man is one of those guys that does better from action bets and just looking at the odds than most. I didnít become a ďdegenerateĒ until about 2001.

And yes, Omaha can definitely do steaks. Ainít nobody better there.
I hope you know being a "degenerate" is a good thing in my book.

I'm right there with you.

Right now, IMO Oaklawn is very much like Ak-Sar-Ben.

Nothing wrong with concerts and tote bag day. But our fans come for the racing.

And they're very knowledgeable.

Please let me know if you every come to Hot Springs for a live card.

We'll get you lined out.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.