Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM
declansharbor's Avatar
declansharbor declansharbor is offline
Hialeah Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Exit 30
Posts: 6,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup Verville View Post
Actually, I can. This is a race caller who is normally plain and vanilla, but became screechy and emotional during a race. That's how exciting the race was. This happens, regardless of how we spell his name.
You sure love you some Larry Callmiss, as the record states.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:14 PM
helicopter11
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Durkin would've called the winner Itsagoodtendollars. And wished he had ten dollars on him.

I saw nothing wrong with Larry's call. Nothing.
To infer that Callmiss is better than Tom Durkin is probably the president of his fan club
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Coup Verville's Avatar
Coup Verville Coup Verville is offline
Morris Park
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
You sure love you some Larry Callmiss, as the record states.
Still not sure what your stance is. I like one caller, but think another may have been a little better, how is that a problem? Just an opinion, I may be wrong. Not trying to blow anyone's skirts up.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 PM
declansharbor's Avatar
declansharbor declansharbor is offline
Hialeah Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Exit 30
Posts: 6,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup Verville View Post
Still not sure what your stance is. I like one caller, but think another may have been a little better, how is that a problem? Just an opinion, I may be wrong. Not trying to blow anyone's skirts up.
No right or wrong answer, as it's your preference. I was just caught up on the fact that you said you love Larry but agreed with heli calling him Callmiss is all. No biggie. If Durkin was currently in the same ZIP CODE as him, heli's "argument" would hold weight. However, it doesnt. Pat Summerall was an excellent voice for Fox, but Aikman is light years better than him. Ten yrs ago, id agree that the old guys are better, but where we stand TODAY, it's not even close.

Fan club?? I laughed. Says the guy who greases Durkin's weasel before races.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Coup Verville's Avatar
Coup Verville Coup Verville is offline
Morris Park
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
No right or wrong answer, as it's your preference. I was just caught up on the fact that you said you love Larry but agreed with heli calling him Callmiss is all. No biggie. If Durkin was currently in the same ZIP CODE as him, heli's "argument" would hold weight. However, it doesnt. Pat Summerall was an excellent voice for Fox, but Aikman is light years better than him. Ten yrs ago, id agree that the old guys are better, but where we stand TODAY, it's not even close.

Fan club?? I laughed. Says the guy who greases Durkin's weasel before races.
To be honest, I didn't even notice that he had misspelled his name (blame the public school system!!!) If it was a shot at Larry, I didn't notice. I just think that some of the greatest calls that I have witnessed are from Tom. No more, no less. Really looking forward to the Belmont, I have cashed on IHA on every race since the Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 PM
declansharbor's Avatar
declansharbor declansharbor is offline
Hialeah Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Exit 30
Posts: 6,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup Verville View Post
To be honest, I didn't even notice that he had misspelled his name (blame the public school system!!!) If it was a shot at Larry, I didn't notice. I just think that some of the greatest calls that I have witnessed are from Tom. No more, no less. Really looking forward to the Belmont, I have cashed on IHA on every race since the Lewis.
Fair enough. I, too, think Durkin was as good as they get. Summerall too.

And congrats on cashing! I made scruples today, took a bath on 5/5, and its safe to say tht if he wins the TC, my Belmont results will be even worse. Good for you for sticking with him, it paid off. That horse got no respect, imo, and earned alot of it back today with his stretch drive. Sure makes for an interesting day in Elmont!!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 PM
pweizer's Avatar
pweizer pweizer is offline
Fairgrounds
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Leominster, MA
Posts: 1,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerv View Post
It's should be a big figure.
Preliminary Beyer Speed Figure of 109

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Coup Verville's Avatar
Coup Verville Coup Verville is offline
Morris Park
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Fair enough. I, too, think Durkin was as good as they get. Summerall too.

And congrats on cashing! I made scruples today, took a bath on 5/5, and its safe to say tht if he wins the TC, my Belmont results will be even worse. Good for you for sticking with him, it paid off. That horse got no respect, imo, and earned alot of it back today with his stretch drive. Sure makes for an interesting day in Elmont!!
I appreciate it. I am the epitome of the fan becoming a horseplayer and, after about 5 years of just watching races and never betting, I finally started putting my money on the races last year. This forum is invaluable for information. I appreciate everyone's opinion on here, good or bad. The last thing I want to do is have misunderstandings with people who know more than I do.

All I want to do is become good enough at handicapping that I can quit working..........what????
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 AM
NTamm1215 NTamm1215 is offline
Havre de Grace
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
No right or wrong answer, as it's your preference. I was just caught up on the fact that you said you love Larry but agreed with heli calling him Callmiss is all. No biggie. If Durkin was currently in the same ZIP CODE as him, heli's "argument" would hold weight. However, it doesnt. Pat Summerall was an excellent voice for Fox, but Aikman is light years better than him. Ten yrs ago, id agree that the old guys are better, but where we stand TODAY, it's not even close.

Fan club?? I laughed. Says the guy who greases Durkin's weasel before races.
The point, I would imagine, is that there was never a better caller in big and dramatic races than Tom Durkin. Perhaps some would argue that he had more opportunities, but the guy never came short of capturing the big moments while maintaining his composure and delivering something that would make watching the replay years later even more exciting.

Whether the person who brought it up meant what I just said, that's my view on the whole thing.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Coup Verville's Avatar
Coup Verville Coup Verville is offline
Morris Park
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
The point, I would imagine, is that there was never a better caller in big and dramatic races than Tom Durkin. Perhaps some would argue that he had more opportunities, but the guy never came short of capturing the big moments while maintaining his composure and delivering something that would make watching the replay years later even more exciting.

Whether the person who brought it up meant what I just said, that's my view on the whole thing.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM
herkhorse's Avatar
herkhorse herkhorse is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gonesville
Posts: 11,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Ill play 2 pick 3's and 2 pick 4's ending with the Preakness. Bode will be heavily pressed and CC is my only backup. Now I just have to find a way to get live to that race. I would take a break till the Belmont if anyone but Bode or CC wins this race. Thats a no posting at all break. That includes the Derby winner also.
http://youtu.be/XjiOtouyBOg
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Clip-Clop Clip-Clop is offline
The Curragh
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Manningtown, Colorado
Posts: 2,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
The point, I would imagine, is that there was never a better caller in big and dramatic races than Tom Durkin. Perhaps some would argue that he had more opportunities, but the guy never came short of capturing the big moments while maintaining his composure and delivering something that would make watching the replay years later even more exciting.

Whether the person who brought it up meant what I just said, that's my view on the whole thing.
This is as good as it gets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydT4S...eature=related
Made me realize this was the best sport out there.
__________________
don't run out of ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Travis Stone's Avatar
Travis Stone Travis Stone is offline
Oaklawn
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
This is as good as it gets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydT4S...eature=related
Made me realize this was the best sport out there.
That race was amazing. I was 11-years-old and remember my parents were furious with me because I couldn't sleep in the hotel the night before.

The weather was a total bummer, but lots of awesome horses ran that day including Cara Rafaela, before she dropped Bernardini, Unbridled's Song, Inside Information, My Flag etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.