Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Dahoss Dahoss is offline
Keeneland
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER View Post
Didn't you win a bet on the Galorette?
Yeah. Doesn't change the fact the racing was an embarrassment and the tents were worse.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Travis Stone's Avatar
Travis Stone Travis Stone is offline
Oaklawn
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Yeah. Doesn't change the fact the racing was an embarrassment and the tents were worse.
The card worked when trainers were willing to wheel-back in two weeks, but now Pimlico is left with nothing but the leftovers. Belmont, I think, has the best Triple Crown undercard, and they're in a better spot with 5 weeks off the CD races and a later time in the year for other horses to get going.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-21-2011, 07:42 PM
SCUDSBROTHER's Avatar
SCUDSBROTHER SCUDSBROTHER is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A.
Posts: 11,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Yeah. Doesn't change the fact the racing was an embarrassment and the tents were worse.
Those Tents remind me of being at a dog show.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-21-2011, 09:08 PM
GPK GPK is offline
5'8".. but all man!
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 3 miles from Chateuax de la Blaha
Posts: 21,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I don't think it's that crazy to try and beat Shared Account at what is going to be a really low price. It's not like she's some world beater and who's to say she's going to be the same horse she was last year, off the layoff?

I'm not going to go crazy trying to beat her, but I think No Explaining has a shot.
Thank You.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-22-2011, 01:02 AM
slotdirt's Avatar
slotdirt slotdirt is offline
Atlantic City Race Course
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,894
Default

What an awful, horrible race the Preakness was. I just need to get that off my chest.
__________________
The world's foremost expert on virtually everything on the Redskins 2010 season: "Im going to go out on a limb here. I say they make the playoffs."
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Alan07 Alan07 is offline
Fairgrounds
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
The card worked when trainers were willing to wheel-back in two weeks, but now Pimlico is left with nothing but the leftovers. Belmont, I think, has the best Triple Crown undercard, and they're in a better spot with 5 weeks off the CD races and a later time in the year for other horses to get going.
The purses are also a joke.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 AM
slotdirt's Avatar
slotdirt slotdirt is offline
Atlantic City Race Course
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,894
Default

Welcome to Maryland racing.
__________________
The world's foremost expert on virtually everything on the Redskins 2010 season: "Im going to go out on a limb here. I say they make the playoffs."
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Travis Stone's Avatar
Travis Stone Travis Stone is offline
Oaklawn
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan07 View Post
The purses are also a joke.
Doesn't matter though... if you put another $100k on each of those races, do the fields grow by that much?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Alan07 Alan07 is offline
Fairgrounds
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
Doesn't matter though... if you put another $100k on each of those races, do the fields grow by that much?
No. That being said what a waste of a grass course they have at Laurel.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Danzig's Avatar
Danzig Danzig is offline
Dee Tee Stables
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The Natural State
Posts: 29,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
Doesn't matter though... if you put another $100k on each of those races, do the fields grow by that much?
i don't think the top end needs attention, but the bottom end of the spectrum sure does! if the bread and butter daily fare were to get purse boosts, thus helping more folks to actually make a little more money to cover expenses, you might manage to entice more owners into the game. and that's what the sport needs. the super rich and rich can afford a high priced hobby, but many others cannot. help them get in, and stay in, and other wants will follow. more owners-trainers make more. fields grow. the number of fans would most likely increase with better betting opportunities-plus more owners means more friends and family in their wake.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 PM
SCUDSBROTHER's Avatar
SCUDSBROTHER SCUDSBROTHER is offline
Flemington
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A.
Posts: 11,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i don't think the top end needs attention, but the bottom end of the spectrum sure does! if the bread and butter daily fare were to get purse boosts, thus helping more folks to actually make a little more money to cover expenses, you might manage to entice more owners into the game. and that's what the sport needs. the super rich and rich can afford a high priced hobby, but many others cannot. help them get in, and stay in, and other wants will follow. more owners-trainers make more. fields grow. the number of fans would most likely increase with better betting opportunities-plus more owners means more friends and family in their wake.
I think the "high percentage" trainer factor hurts this area of the industry. Unless you can get in with one of those, you will struggle. If you increase the purse, it mainly helps those same high-percentage types. I mean, if I go out here and give Danny Velasquez (or Sean whatever from HRTV) money to claim horses, my chances of competing are just not good.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Dahoss Dahoss is offline
Keeneland
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,295
Default

I keep reading about what a poor ride Johnny V gave Animal Kingdom on other boards and blogs. What am I missing here?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-23-2011, 04:46 PM
blackthroatedwind blackthroatedwind is offline
Jerome Park
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I keep reading about what a poor ride Johnny V gave Animal Kingdom on other boards and blogs. What am I missing here?
Nothing. It's idiocy.

He finished second on the second best horse.
__________________
Just more nebulous nonsense from BBB
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 PM
RolloTomasi's Avatar
RolloTomasi RolloTomasi is offline
Oriental Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I keep reading about what a poor ride Johnny V gave Animal Kingdom on other boards and blogs. What am I missing here?
It was obvious from the Kentucky Derby that Animal Kingdom can be positioned anywhere in a race and that his record of sitting 10th or further back at the first point of call in 4 out of 6 starts is purely rider decision.

He should have gone wire-to-wire to avoid the dirt in the face.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 PM
VOL JACK's Avatar
VOL JACK VOL JACK is offline
The Curragh
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: @VOLJACK79
Posts: 2,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I keep reading about what a poor ride Johnny V gave Animal Kingdom on other boards and blogs. What am I missing here?
Ive been critical of JV at times but, I don't see how he could have rode him any better.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Dahoss Dahoss is offline
Keeneland
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK View Post
Ive been critical of JV at times but, I don't see how he could have rode him any better.
Agreed. He rode him well in both races.

Rollo is exaggerating, but that is basically the sentiment of some people. Calling for him to never ride the horse again. If only these people bet.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Travis Stone's Avatar
Travis Stone Travis Stone is offline
Oaklawn
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,229
Default

Not that I gamble based on gallop-outs, but Shackleford won the gallop-out... he was simply he best horse this past weekend. Johnny V did nothing wrong... in fact, he rode the race pretty well.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Indian Charlie's Avatar
Indian Charlie Indian Charlie is offline
Goodwood
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,708
Default

Hell, down the backside, I wasn't sure AK was going to even fire.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Linny's Avatar
Linny Linny is offline
Oaklawn
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER View Post
I think the "high percentage" trainer factor hurts this area of the industry. Unless you can get in with one of those, you will struggle. If you increase the purse, it mainly helps those same high-percentage types. I mean, if I go out here and give Danny Velasquez (or Sean whatever from HRTV) money to claim horses, my chances of competing are just not good.
I agree completely and it applies to all circuits/venues. It also makes betting harder. Do you dare take a shot against a 38% trainer when he's also over 30% with all applicable categories or bet him in P3's or 4's hoping you are right in the other legs as well? Do you pass? I sometimes do and I imagine others do and tracks wonder why handle is down.

It must be hard to be an owner when you can't pay JC Guerrero (mid Atl) or the Englehart (Finger Lakes) or Jamie Ness others of their ilk. How often do you have to watch their horse's tails before to get out.
__________________
RIP Monroe.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.