Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Golden Gate

Definitely hoping that he somehow makes it to the Classic in good order. Heck I would even consider a trip to Keeneland if he did.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambeau View Post
Jay Privman makes as good a case as any for the Pacific Classic at Del Mar to be his next race...sorry Saratoga
Sure but I don't like it for him as much as the Travers. The Travers is much more prestigious but Baffert is a west coast kinda guy. Maybe Mr. Zayat will talk the sense into him and bring him to upstate NY, the place he really needs to be and win.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Morris Park

Would like to see him take on elders in Woodward or JCGC. I don't think that will happen. Baffert has a fondness for the Haskell. Who would be out west for the Pacific Classic?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Baffert has had a distaste for toga lately, hasnt he? And he could face elders if he goes in the pac classic.
big ifs. Well, huge ifs. I can think of tens of millions of reasons why he wont run again...
Old 06-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Oriental Park

"I personally made a promise to my family and to the fans more than anybody else," Zayat said. "We need to enjoy our stars and race them as long as we possibly (can)."

Let's hope he comes through for us. Excerpt from a "Bloodhorse" story.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
Baffert has had a distaste for toga lately, hasnt he? And he could face elders if he goes in the pac classic.
big ifs. Well, huge ifs. I can think of tens of millions of reasons why he wont run again...
If he stays fit and trains up to any race as he has done . . . the "elders" will fear him. Bring'em on I say!!!
Old 06-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
If he stays fit and trains up to any race as he has done . . . the "elders" will fear him. Bring'em on I say!!!
I would like to see them campaign him the rest of the year in a way befitting a superstar. What id really like to see is bim run next year. It was good enough for 3 of the previous four winners, along with some who came close, like the bid.
But, that wont happen.
Hell, maybe he'll turn out sterile and they can keep running him.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:48 PM
Oriental Park

I don't think we've seen his best race yet. He's run and won on 6 different tracks across the country against the best 3YO's they could throw at him and except for the Derby, where he did have to dig in to win in style and save his first start, he has handled the rest with ease.

I'm looking at a picture of him in SI getting a bath before the Belmont and his muscles ripple from his neck & withers to his hip and thigh. He even has a equine 6 or 8 pack on the side of his stomach. Can't see the underside. We know his stride is longer than Secretariat's was and he stays in the air like freaking Pegasus. The Michael Jordan of horse racing.

He is a thoroughbred treasure for us all to enjoy and behold and I have to believe he'll impress us even more down the road.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Keeneland

I'm anxious to see his full little brother, Irish Pharaoh run in a couple of years. Certainly has some big horse shoes to fill.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Oriental Park

Going back a reading some posts prior to the Belmont really make me smile and I'm not pointing any fingers but this is one of many examples that was squashed yesterday in every way:
No way he wins 4 grade I races in 8weeks. The bottom that is so necesssy to win the first 2 jewels is a hinderance in the Belmont . Fresher legs rule the day. He will be dogged like he hasn't been thus far and in the end will succumb to the pressure and the distance will get to him at the 3/16 pole . He will then falter and be off the board. One of those cases where I'll get huge against a hoss that I'll be rooting for. If he wins , he is quite deserving. But it's not gonna happen."
Hey, no biggie, if we're right in this sport 25% of the time we could all retire with millions under our mattresses. And sometimes things are so obvious and right in front of our face but we just can't see it.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
Going back a reading some posts prior to the Belmont really make me smile and I'm not pointing any fingers but this is one of many examples that was squashed yesterday in every way:
No way he wins 4 grade I races in 8weeks. The bottom that is so necesssy to win the first 2 jewels is a hinderance in the Belmont . Fresher legs rule the day. He will be dogged like he hasn't been thus far and in the end will succumb to the pressure and the distance will get to him at the 3/16 pole . He will then falter and be off the board. One of those cases where I'll get huge against a hoss that I'll be rooting for. If he wins , he is quite deserving. But it's not gonna happen."
Hey, no biggie, if we're right in this sport 25% of the time we could all retire with millions under our mattresses. And sometimes things are so obvious and right in front of our face but we just can't see it.
No doubt that this is your finest work to date
Old 06-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb72vett View Post
That's his last race.
For sure.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC View Post
Would like to see him take on elders in Woodward or JCGC. I don't think that will happen. Baffert has a fondness for the Haskell. Who would be out west for the Pacific Classic?
Dortmund & Firing Line? Yawn. I'd hope that's not the case. The horse deserves to go to the Travers, then a prep for the BC, BC. Then, baby makin' time.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Saratoga

I want to him race the rest of this year but would be shocked for him to ever even work again. The insurance premiums will be massive considering they will be insuring against in the shred. guessing 200k to start with 125 book max

They have to say what they are saying now but doubt Coolmore cuts that insurance check with nothing to gain, and everything to lose

My guess is a slight hip fracture, like an illum, will be the excuse.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Article about his arrival back at Churchill includes video. Pharoah kindly stopped and posed whenever he saw a camera. Hilarious.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...hurchill-downs
Old 06-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
I want to him race the rest of this year but would be shocked for him to ever even work again. The insurance premiums will be massive considering they will be insuring against in the shred. guessing 200k to start with 125 book max

They have to say what they are saying now but doubt Coolmore cuts that insurance check with nothing to gain, and everything to lose

Sadly I think this is the correct scenario...other than the injury perhaps. I think once the dust settles and the media goes away, they just turn him out for rest...and then he never comes back. We found a little heat, a swelling, a chip..something minor. Can't risk him not coming back 100%, yada yada
Old 06-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post

I am skeptical as you are, but I also think Zayat is a racing fan. It will be interesting to see if he actually does keep this horse racing.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/07/the-hor...latest-legend/
Old 06-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Zayat

He promised. I assume his word is good. That means he's gonna run. Only a real icehole would retire him now. The hoss has earned the trip to the Spa. A Travers day for the ages.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Oriental Park

I'll take a Breeders Cup Classic entry and a win. But he'll have to race at least once or twice before that. I'm convinced that Zayat is true to his word and wouldn't lead the racing public and real fans on. He has this worked out with Coolmore, don't kid yourself. Zayat still owns controlling interest in him, so go figure. If I'm Mr. Zayat, wish I was tight now, I'd be very selective but run him for sure, if for nobody else but for me and my family.

Lastly, probably not though about all this, is that I don't think any of us understand how significant this horse is, how special he is and how important what he did this weekend will prove to be. We'll find out as the next few months and few years go by.

Is there any horse right now that's more worthy of all this hype? None, thank you very much. I can't wait to get in the office tomorrow and high five all those interested parties up and down the hallway and in and out offices. It will wear off soon, maybe.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
He promised. I assume his word is good. That means he's gonna run. Only a real icehole would retire him now. The hoss has earned the trip to the Spa. A Travers day for the ages.
If so, my wife and I will be there. Not only for Pharoah but it is our favorite part of Heaven on Earth.

We grew up in upstate and spent many a summer in the Adirondacks and have been to the Spa many, many times. Even from Dallas, long trip, since we've lived in this area for over 30 years it's worth it.