Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Idlewild Airport

Default Being There Matters

I can only say that it is such an advantage to see the horses in person when you are betting. Simulcasting is wonderful but its simply not the same.

From today. I happened to go to Monmouth just for the first 3 races to cash some tickets. I wanted to see the third race in particular.

Anyway so the horses come out for the 3rd race and the added bonus is that they were schooling Summer Bird with this group so I got to see him too. Thoughts: Stungbythestorm looked about as good in the paddock as any horse I've seen in person. I hadn't even planned to bet the race. The funny thing is Barcola was a washed out mess but it was difficult to see that on the screen. Needless to say Stungbythestorm took the heat and drew away like a good thing in racehorse time for a good track(look for him in a stake next).......As for Summer Bird. I hated the way he looked. Now I'll defer to people who have seen him in person before, but he looked very dead to me. Coat looked terrible. Ribs showing...All I can say is, maybe this is just him or maybe he'll look differently in 9 days, but he will be nowhere near a trifecta ticket on the Haskell for me.