Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Keeneland

Default Olympic Events

So baseball is out but synchronized diving X 6 events, synchronized swimming X 3 events exists?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Ocala Mike

Default Olympic Events

Yep, and team handball is in also. Never heard of it or saw it being played in my life but, WTF.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
So baseball is out but synchronized diving X 6 events, synchronized swimming X 3 events exists?
When did trampoline become a sport?

Dropping baseball had to be more about the lack of countries without teams as opposed to the number countries playing full contact team handball which gave them a way to leave no generous sized child behind....
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3 View Post
When did trampoline become a sport?

Dropping baseball had to be more about the lack of countries without teams as opposed to the number countries playing full contact team handball which gave them a way to leave no generous sized child behind....
There are a number of nations that have good baseball teams
US, Japan, Dom Rep. Venzuela, S. Korea, P Rico, Mexico, Canada, Curaco, Cuba, ect. but bcause "stars" cant play because of ML seson they dropped it because wasnt getting tv ratings or attendance. They dropped softball because US won every year. Once they go to under 23 for basketball no one will really care much about olympic basketball either just as olympic soccer is an after thought.

Some of the sports are funny. Doubles ping pong?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
There are a number of nations that have good baseball teams
US, Japan, Dom Rep. Venzuela, S. Korea, P Rico, Mexico, Canada, Curaco, Cuba, ect. but bcause "stars" cant play because of ML seson they dropped it because wasnt getting tv ratings or attendance. They dropped softball because US won every year. Once they go to under 23 for basketball no one will really care much about olympic basketball either just as olympic soccer is an after thought.

Some of the sports are funny. Doubles ping pong?
The under 23 soccer thing makes no sense to me.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Keeneland

I never knew there was a Professional Water Polo League thriving in Europe
Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Just because someone's never heard of team handball doesn't mean it's not a pretty big deal in places other than the US. Step outside of the box every once in awhile.

But yes, baseball and softball being out while any sport that requires judging remains in does not make sense. Synchronized swimming is on top of that list.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
The under 23 soccer thing makes no sense to me.
FIFA doesnt want the olympics to take away any of their thunder and the clubs hate that the guys they have under contract play for free obviously risking injury. The NBA owners hate that "their" players are financially benefiting someone else hence this idea about a basketball world cup. Of course the players might not be so willing to play for free in a set up like that so who knows what will happen.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

We would play indoor team handball in gym class at my high school.

Basically, we would use a volleyball, two hockey goals with nets, 6 players to a team (5 position and 1 goalie) and you could only take two steps with the ball or else it's a traveling -- once you stop and start again -- it's also a turnover.

I was so good -- that people would ask to go to the bathroom, snag the hall pass, and hurry down to the gym to watch me play.

Before me, all of the other people who played goalie "stayed at home" and guarded the net. I was technically a goalie, but also a forward on offense who would leave the net wide open at the other end of the gym.

If I ever get rich -- I have made a vow to have a bronzed statue erected of me playing handball in gym class -- and I will pay the school to let me put it on the front lawn.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Sha Tin

Dodgeball could be an olympic sport.
Easily
Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Easily

Highest ratings ever.

How about a charity game at the end featuring all of the leaders of the teams participating.

Ahmednajad and Netanyahu as captains drafting the teams. It would be HUGE!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Easily
loved dodgeball..

they could add tetherball. that was always fun.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
loved dodgeball..

they could add tetherball. that was always fun.
Is "tetherball" what we urban types used to call "4 Square" ......which was the ultimate schoolyard nasty where you stand in line for 15 minutes waiting to play this one point and done version of rectangular singles ping pong with your hands. Defend your square against a higher square, you knock them out and move up......lose a point your at the end of line again.

The Olympic version would be a ratings bananza.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3 View Post
Is "tetherball" what we urban types used to call "4 Square" ......which was the ultimate schoolyard nasty where you stand in line for 15 minutes waiting to play this one point and done version of rectangular singles ping pong with your hands. Defend your square against a higher square, you knock them out and move up......lose a point your at the end of line again.

The Olympic version would be a ratings bananza.
Doc

Here is one of the best tetherball examples

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DuIGFC88wFo
Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

How do red-blooded Americans not know what tetherball is? What has happened to this country?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
How do red-blooded Americans not know what tetherball is? What has happened to this country?

and rather than baseball, they could add kickball. i really think they need to clean up some of the 'sports' that are included. synchronized swimming?! seriously? that's a sport? i think they are confused between sport and event. anything that is judged should be kicked out.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Keeneland

Never knew a punch to the nuts, even the second time was considered a common foul in International Basketball
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post

and rather than baseball, they could add kickball. i really think they need to clean up some of the 'sports' that are included. synchronized swimming?! seriously? that's a sport? i think they are confused between sport and event. anything that is judged should be kicked out.
I think they need to claen them up too but kinda in the opposite way.

It's not that I wish they'd get rid of basketball, tennis, etc. but just that I hate seeing these kids who have worked so hard and for so long for this chance where it means the world to them and than seeing Kobe et al.

I hate that professonals are allowed. I think it should be all about the other sports, events or whatever you want to call them.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
I think they need to claen them up too but kinda in the opposite way.

It's not that I wish they'd get rid of basketball, tennis, etc. but just that I hate seeing these kids who have worked so hard and for so long for this chance where it means the world to them and than seeing Kobe et al.

I hate that professonals are allowed. I think it should be all about the other sports, events or whatever you want to call them.
I agree with this. If they are going to keep Tennis and the other pro sports they should use the 23 and under rule that they are using in soccer.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
I agree with this. If they are going to keep Tennis and the other pro sports they should use the 23 and under rule that they are using in soccer.
Not yet Tom. Ryan Giggs, the captain of this Olympic's Great Britain team, is 38.

I love the quirky sports. Let them have their day once every four years. It's the only place we can see them after the demise of Wide World of Sports.

Personally, I have watched several hours of Olympics on tv. Of those several hours, I've watched zero minutes of basketball (male or female) and about 10 minutes of soccer.