Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Del Mar

Default ESPN is being very irresponsible

They are overdoing with the Barbaro coverage showing that clip over and over of when he broke his leg and him after the race walking around on 3 legs. Its awful. You think with the Super Bowl coming up in 5 days, they would have better things to show.

Bad form. Very bad.

If they want to show something just show his KY Derby and wish him the best in horse heaven.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

I think you should call them and let them know how they should do it.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Del Mar

I already did. I am very close with somebody who works there (that you see at least once a week) and unlike many places, they take constructive criticism very well.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

The main reason Barbaro has stayed in the news as long as he has and received the following he has is because of the injury and the subsequent work done to try to keep him alive. Nobody even cares about his Derby anymore so showing that would be irrelevant. All people talk about is the injury and recovery so that's what they show.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Del Mar

Nobody even cares about his Derby anymore so showing that would be irrelevant. All people talk about is the injury and recovery so that's what they show.

Well thats kind of silly. He won by one of the biggest margin of victories ever beating some good horses including wonder horse Showing Up. If you guys would rather see a beautiful animal wobble around on 3 legs than see him pulling away from Blue Cat, then you must be a huge hit at kid's parties.

I'm done with this. Wish I never said anything about it.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Nobody even cares about his Derby anymore so showing that would be irrelevant. All people talk about is the injury and recovery so that's what they show.

Well thats kind of silly. He won by one of the biggest margin of victories ever beating some good horses including wonder horse Showing Up. If you guys would rather see a beautiful animal wobble around on 3 legs than see him pulling away from Blue Cat, then you must be a huge hit at kid's parties.

I'm done with this. Wish I never said anything about it.
Don't misunderstand. I think it's silly to that all anyone talks about is the injury/recovery. I think it would be much better to talk about his nice wins. But the reality is that more people have been drawn to Barbaro because of this stuff than because of his wins. His injury, recovery, and now death have gotten way more coverage than his wins did. It's unfortunate that this stuff interests more people than the good things he did but that's the way it is.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Del Mar

Alright well I would agree that this injury and unfortunate last 8 months of not knowing if he was going to make it has made Barbaro a household name, not his Derby win. God knows most people wouldnt have a clue who War Emblem or Real Quiet are.

But do we really have to see the broken leg over and over in photos and even worse on TV's?

I mean I was running at the gym today and I look up and they are showing the Barbaro footage and really zeroing in on the actual race showing it happen and showing him after the race.

Isnt it enough that he was a superb race horse and a brilliant fighter who touched many lives? Lets leave it at that. We all know life isnt fair and we all know what happened, so do we really need to look at it again?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Alright well I would agree that this injury and unfortunate last 8 months of not knowing if he was going to make it has made Barbaro a household name, not his Derby win. God knows most people wouldnt have a clue who War Emblem or Real Quiet are.

But do we really have to see the broken leg over and over in photos and even worse on TV's?

I mean I was running at the gym today and I look up and they are showing the Barbaro footage and really zeroing in on the actual race showing it happen and showing him after the race.

Isnt it enough that he was a superb race horse and a brilliant fighter who touched many lives? Lets leave it at that. We all know life isnt fair and we all know what happened, so do we really need to look at it again?
Nobody is forcing you to watch it.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Oriental Park

Im sure Im not the only person who cannot watch the preakness episode. It is in extremely poor taste to show it on the little pieces that have been put together to honor the horse.

They didnt show lost in the fog rolling around on the ground in pain because of the chemo, they should give Barbaro the same respect. Nobody wants to see a horse break its leg one time, nonetheless 100 times. Sickening.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Del Mar

Im sure Im not the only person who cannot watch the preakness episode. It is in extremely poor taste to show it on the little pieces that have been put together to honor the horse.

They didnt show lost in the fog rolling around on the ground in pain because of the chemo, they should give Barbaro the same respect. Nobody wants to see a horse break its leg one time, nonetheless 100 times. Sickening.

Thanks. I thought I was going crazy. Finally somebody who sees my point and isnt afraid to disagree with the masses. Refreshing.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Oriental Park

The day it happened I watched the replay and about vomited. The slow mo, the snap, knowing what happens when 1200lbs of horse tries to push off on an already broken leg....Brutal, I mean who honestly can argue in favor of seeing a horse in distress, cmon.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

Thanks. I thought I was going crazy. Finally somebody who sees my point and isnt afraid to disagree with the masses. Refreshing.
Tim,
I totally agree. ALL the networks have shown the breakdown far too much.
I really don't get a thrill out of seeing it again and again.
Sick, if you ask me.
Showing such a noble steed in distress over and over might gain ratings, but also anti racing people.
Sick people pour gasoline on the fire. I wish they would just show his best efforts and allow the rest of us to grieve his loss.
Thanks for calling your friend.
DTS
Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 PM
The Curragh

Agreed Gander. I love watching the footage of him in The Derby, brings chills to me still. Leave the Preakness footage alone.

I would say this to the ESPN folks -

When you go to a showing and or a funeral, do you see footage of how this individual passed or do you celebrate their life?
Old 01-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid

i have never watched a preakness replay. can't do it. i remember the actualy race-i've said this before, when he pulled up my first thought was 'no contest'-like they couldn't finish if he couldn't. then i realized they were still running-and i couldn't say who did what thru the running. i only kept it on to find out what was going on with barbaro. they showed the head on replay after the race, and that is the last footage i've ever seen. i hate seeing the pictures. it ticked me off that the front page of the paper here showed him standing on three legs with edgar at pimlico. thankfully the sports page ran his derby runaway photo. THAT is how i want to remember him. winning-with others struggling along in his wake.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Santa Anita

It is a very uplifting journey but tragic end to a great, great horse. The game can be made safer and it is slowly but surely.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:44 AM
Dee Tee Stables

his breaking thru the gate didn't bode well in the sense of how well he would race after exerting the energy,etc , not moss being some kind of psychic about the subsequent injury.

one had nothing to do with the other. he took a bad step. but hey, for conspiracy theorists, this is another for them.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Bold Reasoning

When Pine Island broke down in the BC Distaff ESPN replayed it twice. I remember posting that I thought it was in very bad taste. They are consistent.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Del Mar

I just dont think its all that interesting a story anymore.

Horse was great and won the Derby. Horse had an unfortunate breakdown and they tried to save him but after many months they finally had to put him down. Its sad, but happens quite a bit in horse racing.

Lets remember his Derby win and move on.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
I would say this to the ESPN folks -

When you go to a showing and or a funeral, do you see footage of how this individual passed or do you celebrate their life?
Very, very good point!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Santa Anita

The effort to save his life was the story. If Barbaro was euthanized on the track afer the Preakness, nothing would have happened. It was the fact that the effort was made to save him and he lived 8 plus months afterward which made the story. The Jacksons and Richardson aren't on Larry King if he's euthanized immediately. Noone here would have heard of Richardson if not for the effort (well some would have, but certainly not me). Horses win the Kentucky Derby every year...it is not a big deal. But when the Ky Derby winner has a devastating injury in the Preakness...is not put down but is given highly risky surgery...survives...does pretty well for 8 months, then finally succumbs to the overwhelming odds against him, well that is a bit different than your average Ky Derby winner story. That type of thing makes national news. That is all it is. I have no problem with them showing it. In a week, it will all be old news once again and not be shown on national media outlets probably again other than a yearly tribute to the horse on BC day or something.