Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Churchill Downs

thats why i'm going to the farm tomorrow and feed them myself.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
thats why i'm going to the farm tomorrow and feed them myself.
Let us know what you find. Are you bringing hay?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 03-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Let us know what you find. Are you bringing hay?
no hay.

apples, carrots and they also like plums (if the farmers market has them)

there will be videos and picks, stay tuned.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Santa Anita

Another article with an account from what I guess they call a "satellite" farm of TRF: http://www.examiner.com/equine-advoc...-of-their-care ReRun posted a link to it on Facebook. Of course they also posted their dismay that Mine That Bird wasn't donated to a TB retirement place at the end of his career instead of kept by his owner in New Mexico, so I suppose a grain of salt should be taken.

I'm not familiar with the author of the article, but here's a link to her bio: http://www.examiner.com/equine-advoc...ureen-harmonay
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Another article with an account from what I guess they call a "satellite" farm of TRF: http://www.examiner.com/equine-advoc...-of-their-care ReRun posted a link to it on Facebook. Of course they also posted their dismay that Mine That Bird wasn't donated to a TB retirement place at the end of his career instead of kept by his owner in New Mexico, so I suppose a grain of salt should be taken.

I'm not familiar with the author of the article, but here's a link to her bio: http://www.examiner.com/equine-advoc...ureen-harmonay
http://www.animaltranslations.com/meetmaureen.htm

Here's another bio link. She communicates with animals... telepathically!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
http://www.animaltranslations.com/meetmaureen.htm

Here's another bio link. She communicates with animals... telepathically!
Steve, I don't think you're realizing the opportunity here. We could have Zenyatta as a guest on ATR! This woman can talk to her, then relay her thoughts to you!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Steve, I don't think you're realizing the opportunity here. We could have Zenyatta as a guest on ATR! This woman can talk to her, then relay her thoughts to you!
There was a lady at the barn I rode at in college who paid an animal psychic several hundred dollars to find out why her well-bred dressage horse wasn't learning anything.

The psychic told her the horse had an imaginary friend and couldn't concentrate on the rider's aids.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Steve Byk

Earle Mack responds to TRF concerns
Paulick Report Staff | 03.22.2011 | 7:56am

Earle Mack, the former ambassador to Finland during the administration of George H.W. Bush, has been a Thoroughbred owner and breeder for nearly a half-century. His philanthropic work has benefited people from all walks of life, but it also extends to the Thoroughbred world. Ambassador Mack wrote the following letter for distribution to various publications in response to last week’s article in the New York Times about the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation.

The New York Times article, March 18, about the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation (TRF), illuminated many troubling issues in animal rescue and retirement. While I have not served on the board of the TRF, I do contribute money to it and have confidence in the people involved.

The majority of charities today are struggling with reduced funds in a down economy, however, the daily cash flow needs of a rescue and retirement organization can mean life and death to the animals in their care.

It is easy to say the TRF should have made timely payment to the farms caring for the horses. That is true, but those of us who give to the foundation, should also realize in the current environment some people are cutting back, so those of us who can, need to give more.

I will double my contribution to the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, as both a show of support to the well-intended people who work hard every day, and for the horses whose humane care and lives depend upon our generosity.

I’ve been in racing and breeding for more than forty-eight years. Most racehorse owners are responsible. When their horses no longer race, they retire them to a farm or work with adoption and retirement programs. However, like some pet owners who fail to meet their humane obligation, some horses must be rescued and then responsibility falls on all the rest of us.

Let’s not rush to judgment about the TRF. They are people who are trying to do the right thing. We hope Joe Drape’s piece will serve the purpose of galvanizing and motivating all participants in the proud sport of horse racing and move us onward and upward.

Sincerely,

Earle I. Mack
Former chair, New York Racing Commission
Former trustee, New York Racing Association
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Coach Pants

I don't think Drape is the kind of guy that would write a biased article.

Usually when the carpet matches the drape it is because of attention to detail..

Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Keeneland

"Trying to do the right thing" is admirable, but when there is no food, intentions don't matter. You can't take on more than you can afford to do, and TRF clearly dropped the ball. Kudos to Mack for saying he'll double his contribution - good advice to all of us.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Steve Byk

Default Bob Hutt's (Fantasy Lane) letter to Drape

Dear Joe:

What's wrong with you? Do you have an axe to grind with somebody in the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation? If so please let me know? By your very actions you have condemned many racehorses who desperately need our help to their death. And I for one cannot let this go without trying to reason with you. Permit me to explain. You rushed to judgment in an isolated incident, without doing your due diligence, and by doing so, instead of providing your readership with the true picture of all the good things the TRF has done, you have poisoned the well.

I have owned racehorses for more than a quarter of a century. I know all the good deeds the TRF has done since its inception as I can speak to you first hand. For the record, FLS is about 400 partners strong. They are all being copied on this email as well as other prominent members of the racing community. I have a feeling you're going to be hearing from more than a few.

One of our long time veteran partners is Regina Schneller, Esq. When I first met Regina, she and her husband John had never owned a horse or a horse farm. They joined us in 1999. Since then, they bought a horse farm in NJ. They now have over a dozen retired racehorses they personally bought, claimed, or were given that live with them on their farm. They have others that live nearby because they need constant around the clock veterinary and boarding care that they pay for personally. Why don't you go see their farm and all the good and loving things they do?

Regina serves as Counsel to the TRF. She is heartbroken by what you wrote. Regina out of her own pocket pays for retired broodmares {of ours} to have messages. She checks on them as best she can. No one loves animals/horses more than Regina does. Do you realize the pain you've caused her and other devoted good and decent people who only give of themselves on behalf of the TRF?.

Joe, even if your allegations were proven correct, you must realize that it's impossible to be in all places at all times? If you had just brought your information to the attention of the TRF they would have been on top of it. But you didn't even give them one ounce of respect for all the good things they truly do. Why? In all fairness, most reporters would have performed their due diligence and done some real investigative reporting trying to get both sides of the story before going public. You had to know that because of the power of the pen will hurt the TRF with continuing donations?

Your story single handedly in itself will most certainly send retired racehorses to their slaughter? Other TRF members, who only give of themselves and can't take the heat, will resign. Why? Because who needs the aggravation from unbalanced attacks such as yours in a non profit organization? The TRF has placed horses {of ours} in homes with former partners and also correctional facilities throughout the United States. It's a win-win story.

Please I implore you to do the right thing and write a follow up story on all the good the TRF has done. Joe, I always give people I've never met the benefit of the doubt. I am providing you this chance to admit to a rush to judgment and right a wrong. You have no idea how many good and decent people you've hurt? And the worst part is you have sent the very animals you profess to protect by bringing your story to public awareness to their deaths.

We horse lovers know, that without the TRF and other fine similar organizations, these magnificent creatures entrusted into our care don't stand a chance. You're so wrong here in your character assassination of the TRF that I find it truly frightening. Please man up to your mistake and simply please investigate? Once you do, you'll learn all the good things the TRF has done. Thank you for listening as I would appreciate the courtesy of a reply.

With kind regards,

Bob Hutt
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Coach Pants

Start with "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?"

End with "With kind regards, weaselface."

Just be honest. All this formality bulls.hit was started by the rulers to condition people to accept intolerable as.sholes.

Crinkle

Trash Can

try again.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Fairgrounds

It seems strange to me having long been involved in Animal Rescue, fostering, evaluation and adoption that there are not more people screaming about this. I can't find anything on HSUS or ASPCA's sites about TRF and this situation and they would definitely be the first to start the campaign against TRF. PETA doesn't count and I haven't looked there but those people are nuts, they'd scream if you didn't pet your dog as often as they would like.

The red flag for me was that only 2 farms were cited and one actually locked TRF out until they said they wouldn't prosecute for the condition of the horses. I've seen this before and the people that locked out the agencies that were funding them did in fact end up prosecuted for animal abuse and neglect. In fact they were hoarders. One was actually a horrific case, she went on the lam for awhile, was apprehended and is currently serving jail time for a long time. All of this was done in the name of being an animal rescuer.

I think TRF does need to do some cleaning up in where they put their horses and more inspection of the properties where they place their horses. But you can't always control so called 501C3's that will foster abandoned/retired animals that no one wants. On paper they pass all the checks and then something goes very, very wrong. Looks like a smear campaign to me but it will make TRF more diligent in their placement