Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Les Bois

Default Arlington Cancels Pick 4 Guarantees

For any Arl players out there, the track announced its cancelling its 25K and 50K guarantees on the Friday and Sat Pick 4's for the remainder of the meet. I know crowds thin out as summer wanes but its still sad that a track of its caliber doesnt think it will have a 50K Pick 4 pool on a Sat. Well at least we have the $1mm guarantee at the Spa this Sat to invest in.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjake
For any Arl players out there, the track announced its cancelling its 25K and 50K guarantees on the Friday and Sat Pick 4's for the remainder of the meet. I know crowds thin out as summer wanes but its still sad that a track of its caliber doesnt think it will have a 50K Pick 4 pool on a Sat. Well at least we have the $1mm guarantee at the Spa this Sat to invest in.

Boo.

Huge boo.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Keeneland

but they are adding 2 ponies on Sundays, one more clown on Sat and all the face paint you want.....
Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
but they are adding 2 ponies on Sundays, one more clown on Sat and all the face paint you want.....
I take it back.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

Barry Rozner is a very well known columnist in the Daily Herald ( the only Chicago land paper that acknowledges Arlington's existance) who writes on all topics locally and nationally, appears on many sport's radio shows and probably isn't long for that paper. Anyway, he is a horse player at heart and has writen many articles over the years both lauding the AP experience and trying to figure out what the track needs to do to increase the handle and attendance. His most recent piece was dead on, IMO. To paraphrase, he gives AP credit for getting the neophyte horse player into the park, but then abandons them in certain critical areas, especially on busy days. Tote machine issues, tellers who aren't responsive, Post Parades starting 3 minutes before post, etc. He also focuses on Fridays...Why not keep the Party in the Park going after the last race with simulasting in the park area or dedicated TVs to Cubs or Sox games. How about better TVs so the glare is reduced? How about adding TVs to the outside bar areas and stools for the dedicated horseplayer? I'm sure that 20% of the crowd creates 80% of the handle. Let's make the "Player" who doesn't like hanging in the Gold Room more of a priority. AP isn't going to make money by growing the 80% base...that will only increase show pools ...They need to pull from the 80% and make the other number 25 or 30% by making it easier to wager and by giving that customer a reason to stick around. The longer they stay, the more they play.

Whew....
Old 08-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Les Bois

How about turning the TV's in the Party in the Park area on before 2:45 on Friday afternoon. It would be nice to be able to get set up in one place rather than starting out inside to bet Saratoga and then having to relocate mid-card if you want to do the Party in the Park thing. They have vendors working down there before the TV's go on. As was mentioned this probably serves the once/twice a year crowd fine but once again doesnt cater to the players.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Suffolk Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjake
Arl Cancelling the guaranteed pk 4 & also Churchills handle was down.Both instances happened after they cut ties with TVG.Interesting,I'm just say'in.HMMMMM
Old 08-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
What about the free t-shirt give away ?
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiggle24
Arl Cancelling the guaranteed pk 4 & also Churchills handle was down.Both instances happened after they cut ties with TVG.Interesting,I'm just say'in.HMMMMM
Maybe they should make it easier not more difficult for people to spend money with them. That might help. But wait, this is the horseracing business. You know, that business that makes it seem like they're doing you a favor by letting you spend your money with them.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Fairgrounds

I don't think TVG was the big one.... they basically pulled AP's signal from every other online source, other than the Magna/Churchill ones. I'd think that was probably the problem. Most online people could't bet it.