Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Cunningham Racing

Default Lava Man vs. Bernardini = Seabiscuit vs. War Admiral?

...I can't help but recognize the vast similarities, although this may be on a smaller scale...West coast vs. East coast, Blue collar vs. Blue blood, both dominant and very prolific in their respective regions...

Nobody will give Lava Man a chance to beat Bernardini - including me - but if he does and does it on the raod (@ CD) then it very well could shape up as a Seabiscuit-esque type of story for the media to grasp ahold of....interesting...
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
...I can't help but recognize the vast similarities, although this may be on a smaller scale...West coast vs. East coast, Blue collar vs. Blue blood, both dominant and very prolific in their respective regions...

Nobody will give Lava Man a chance to beat Bernardini - including me - but if he does and does it on the raod (@ CD) then it very well could shape up as a Seabiscuit-esque type of story for the media to grasp ahold of....interesting...
Nobody is giving him a chance? Well there goes your credibility right there with that ignorant statement.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Nobody is giving him a chance? Well there goes your credibility right there with that ignorant statement.
The majority of people aren't giving Lava Man much of a chance...
Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
The majority of people aren't giving Lava Man much of a chance...
Simply incorrect. If his odds are 5-1 or less there are alot of people giving him a chance. Besides Joel said nobody is giving him a chance. I wish that were true. I'd love to see the horse at 20-1 or greater.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Simply incorrect. If his odds are 5-1 or less there are alot of people giving him a chance. Besides Joel said nobody is giving him a chance. I wish that were true. I'd love to see the horse at 20-1 or greater.
I just love how everything that is said by Joel is taken so seriously... he could have said "nobody" and meant that in a facetious manner, who knows. I know what he meant and I agree with him.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I just love how everything that is said by Joel is taken so seriously... he could have said "nobody" and meant that in a facetious manner, who knows. I know what he meant and I agree with him.
Yeah I knew what he meant as well but he's flat out wrong. I also knew what raod meant.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Randwyck

the majority of the people on the east coast.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Holy cow..ITS A FIGURE OF SPEECH!!! Hell, Brother Derek will be 25-1 so theorectically he has a "chance", although all analysts will say he has NO chance, but obviously somebody will bet on the horse - get it?

Some people on this board.....wow

Remember the Seabiscuit story..nobody gave him a chance to beat War Admiral from a non-literal standpoint...
Old 10-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Cunningham Racing

Pillow Pants would knock sliced bread, and then wine about the butter he spreads on it.....some people are just like that
Old 10-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Pillow Pants would knock sliced bread, and then wine about the butter he spreads on it.....some people are just like that
You'd kill a girl just to take her place in the harem, you insufferable jackass.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Holy cow..ITS A FIGURE OF SPEECH!!! Hell, Brother Derek will be 25-1 so theorectically he has a "chance", although all analysts will say he has NO chance, but obviously somebody will bet on the horse - get it?

Some people on this board.....wow

Remember the Seabiscuit story..nobody gave him a chance to beat War Admiral from a non-literal standpoint...
Every analyst says he has no chance? Where are your sources?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Every analyst says he has no chance? Where are your sources?
Again my slow friend, 'every' is a figure of speech.....geez...unbelievalbe....
Old 10-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Balletto

Quote:
Yeah it's unbelievalbe that you have the audacity to question the intelligence of a slug, much less a person, you bayou buffoon. No wonder why you were fired.
Come on, PP. No reason to get personal or vicious. Take a happy pill and kiss the computer screen... sugahmama is waiting!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:

I was way ahead of you on this one Joel. I've been saying this for a very, very long time...

Lava Man has always reminded me of Seabiscuit... His heart is the size of a football field...

If he won, it would be one of the greatest stories in horse racing ever...

Great matchup
Old 10-09-2006, 03:58 PM
eurobounce

Quote:

I dont get where you say that Sea Bisquit is "blue collar." His breeding is pretty regal if you ask me. Grandson of Man O War and Balance wasnt all that bad. And both had Rock Sand in their pedigree. I wouldnt say one was more regally bred than the other.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
I dont get where you say that Sea Bisquit is "blue collar." His breeding is pretty regal if you ask me. Grandson of Man O War and Balance wasnt all that bad. And both had Rock Sand in their pedigree. I wouldnt say one was more regally bred than the other.
it's funny, he was put out in the movie as being from the wrong side of the tracks. enjoyed the book so much more than the movie! it was very well written, while the movie was typical hollywood. heck, they made war admiral out to be this huge black rock hard ten type with fire coming out of his nostrils. when the fact was that war admiral was a little brown thing just like his mama! didn't look at all like daddy, and riddle almost sold him!!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:

You are absolutely correct ... the similarities are quite striking.

Seabiscuit was also a former claimer who took a while to find his best form ... and War Admiral was the perfectly-bred colt owned by a wealthy Easterner ... although not a Middle Easterner.

The analogy fails a bit because War Admiral was a 4YO when he met Seabiscuit ... so there was no 3YO vs. Older aspect to that race.

But otherwise ... your analogy is quite a good one. Thanks for thinking of it and passing it along.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:

It's an interesting concept and I imagine ESPN will hype it up going into BC day and deservedly so. Maybe not in the Seabiscuit/WA mold, but they should definately give it some hype. Nothing America likes more than a compelling underdog drama.

I think the more valid story that seems to have been underplayed to this point is that the day one star was tragically cut down at the Preakness another was apparently born and burst onto the scene. I still think that because Barbaro's injury happened on the same stage as Bernardini's coming out party, Bernardini gets a considerably smaller chunk of noterity from the mainstream media. That being said, if Barbaro doesnt get hurt, maybe Bernardini doesnt win and his coming out party is delayed until whenever.
All speculation of course.

Bernardini deserves alot more pub than he gets and I feel the reason this is the case is because the #1 story of Preakness day was Barbaro. What Bernardini is doing is becoming special and he deserves some hype for it. Just seems the media is not clamoring to give it because this horse is somewhat living in Barbaro's shadow.

Just my two cents, I like Bernardini, not all too impressed with whom he has beaten, but he does deserve more credit on the national stage than he gets.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:36 PM
eurobounce

That thing alsop told me that I didnt have any matches. That sort of sucks.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
That thing alsop told me that I didnt have any matches. That sort of sucks.
Yeah I guess my stunning good looks overloaded the system.