Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
Ok I hate arguing this, because I feel Rachel is better, but I think your wrong.

If Zenyatta wins tomorrrow, wins the Pacific Classic, and The BCC it is all over. If she retires UNDEFEATED and beats OLDER MALES twice it will not matter what Rachel does.

As for her going to The Travers I highly doubt it. She would be far from a lock in that race, Quality Road is really good.

based on zenyatta making only her third start in the eighth month of this year, i don't see them suddenly getting aggressive with her just to try to win hoy. she'll run one or two more, the last being the distaff, and then she'll retire to be a broodmare. any chance of her being HOY went out the window with their contention she should not face males. they raced her as they saw fit, and zenyatta is a lot of fun to watch. but no way she's put together anything close to an HOY campaign at this point. we know what rachel's done, anything zenyatta could do means nothing.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215

I think it's great to see Christophe Clement have such a great horse too. By the way, does anyone know why Indian Charlie (the indiancharlie.com satirist not our resident satirist) hates CC so much?

NT
Ever met him?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Mineshaft, Point Given, Charismatic, Holy Bull, Criminal Type, Spend a Buck, and John Henry all won HOY without running in the BC and a Smarty Jones would have if not for Ghostzapper's Classic win. It's unfortunate because I agree with what I think is your opinion of Gio Ponti. He's faced and beaten better than she has and in most years, would be a prime candidate. But she's done more than just win races. She's captured the imagination and that's worth a few more wins. It's going to take something really special to overtake her and I don't know that what he'd need is available out there, especially if she were to do something like win the Woodward or the Travers.
Who has Gio Ponti beat this year that is so good?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Who has Gio Ponti beat this year that is so good?
I don't think I said that he's beaten anything that's so good. I said he's beaten better than what Rachel has beaten. Ventura alone, who he beat at a mile at Santa Anita is better than anything Rachel's beaten. Einstein is better than Mine that Bird and Summer Bird.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
I don't think I said that he's beaten anything that's so good. I said he's beaten better than what Rachel has beaten. Ventura alone, who he beat at a mile at Santa Anita is better than anything Rachel's beaten. Einstein is better than Mine that Bird and Summer Bird.
Agree. Gio Ponti has consistently beaten better horses, and will continue to get ignored by "the public" because hes a turf horse and Rachael is Amercia's horse (and well she should). Both are outstanding horses and we are lucky to have both of them around, and actually run in more than 5-6 races per year.

I thought Gio Ponti was awesome yesterday, running a style of race that probably wasnt his most preferred, most certainly because of the presence of Precious Passion.

Great Arlington Million.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I dont know about that
Old 08-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Agree. Gio Ponti has consistently beaten better horses, and will continue to get ignored by "the public" because hes a turf horse and Rachael is Amercia's horse (and well she should). Both are outstanding horses and we are lucky to have both of them around, and actually run in more than 5-6 races per year.

I thought Gio Ponti was awesome yesterday, running a style of race that probably wasnt his most preferred, most certainly because of the presence of Precious Passion.

Great Arlington Million.
I'll ask again, who is really good that Gio Ponti has beaten? I think he is a very good horse but you guys are acting like he is beating a stellar bunch of turf horses. He's not. And the Million was hardly great yesterday, that was a poor field compared to most any year with one notable exception.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
I'll ask again, who is really good that Gio Ponti has beaten? I think he is a very good horse but you guys are acting like he is beating a stellar bunch of turf horses. He's not. And the Million was hardly great yesterday, that was a poor field compared to most any year with one notable exception.
I guess my standards arent as high as yours. I thought yesterday's field was great. Precious Passion, Gio Ponti, Einstein and Just as Well...all very good animals who almost always run very good races.

If you think that was a poor field, you're going to really love what you will see in next weekend's Sword Dancer!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Worst day of my handicapping career out there today. F'n Romancaca wins because of bs configurations, then that cow of a horse Dynaforce goes and wins, and then the diseased cow Stotsfold can't out grind Just as Well for 2nd.....

Grand!
I'm with you dude -- though I think Romocaca is actually pretty good.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I guess my standards arent as high as yours. I thought yesterday's field was great. Precious Passion, Gio Ponti, Einstein and Just as Well...all very good animals who almost always run very good races.

If you think that was a poor field, you're going to really love what you will see in next weekend's Sword Dancer!
Precious Passion is a hard course only type, Einstien has never been a really good horse, he just stuck around long enough to win weak versions of big races and I wont bother to discuss Just as Well as a really good horse. The Euros were third rate and I said Gio Ponti is a very good horse. Your bar is set low.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what's getting lost in translation here. How am I acting like Gio Ponti is beating stellar fields of really good horses? I don't believe I said that and I know I don't think that. I only said that in comparison to what Rachel's beaten, he's beaten better horses. Maybe you think he's beating "C-list" horses. Probably true but that's higher than "D-list".
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Fairgrounds

Diseased cow is really harsh; and I lost that EB too.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Flemington

Clement sounds cautious, but it looks like Gio's next few starts could be interesting...

http://www.drf.com/news/article/106261.html
Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
You mean Presently?