Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Kings still perfect on the road.
It is outrageous what they are doing. Every bounce seems to go their way. They are playing great hockey but luck has certainly been on their side too. Except for the tying goal last night anyway.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Flemington

Another exciting and well played game going to overtime.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Flemington

Kings still perfect on the road, up 2-0 in the series.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I was just remembering the goofy illegal stick penalty from the 1993 finals. That was the NHL's equivalent of the George Brett pine tar incident, right?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
I was just remembering the goofy illegal stick penalty from the 1993 finals. That was the NHL's equivalent of the George Brett pine tar incident, right?
Not necessarily...the NHL had the balls to uphold the penalty and not cower behind "the spirit of the rule" nonsense that MLB did back then. Every player knows that rule and you look like a real jacka$$ when you get nailed for something stupid like that.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Yeah, but how many dudes over the last 20 years have used an illegal stick whether they knew it or not? It was cherry picking by Demers, no doubt about that.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Arlington Park

the really sad part is it only wound up being mcsorely's second most memorable penalty.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Well, yeah, when you whack a guy in the dome with your stick, that's going to kind of be memorable. McSorley was a throwback, and certainly a major part of the success of Wayne Gretzky in the 80's and 90's.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Flemington

Jonathan Quick was ridiculous tonight. 3-0 Kings.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Jonathan Quick was ridiculous tonight. 3-0 Kings.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Flemington

Sometimes the playoffs are better than the Superbowl.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 AM
The Curragh

I was really hoping for a few more games, the vast wasteland of sport that is post NHL playoffs is upon us. Counting on the Euro tournament to carry me through June. Devils spent it all against the Rangers, this is the classic letdown after clearing the "big" hurdle.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
I was really hoping for a few more games, the vast wasteland of sport that is post NHL playoffs is upon us. Counting on the Euro tournament to carry me through June. Devils spent it all against the Rangers, this is the classic letdown after clearing the "big" hurdle.
I agree somewhat, but the Kings definitely deserve alot of credit here. They are playing lights out good right now.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I agree somewhat, but the Kings definitely deserve alot of credit here. They are playing lights out good right now.
The seperation between 8 seeds and 1 seeds in the West, or even the East is very little. As a Hawks fan who was shut down by Quick all year I can attest to them not being a team that just got hot at the right time. LA sports fans are an oxymoron to me, but this team is the real deal. No offense Matty, but I wish they had done this to the Rangers as that would really have proved a point. Although, who knows if that is what would have happened
Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
The seperation between 8 seeds and 1 seeds in the West, or even the East is very little. As a Hawks fan who was shut down by Quick all year I can attest to them not being a team that just got hot at the right time. LA sports fans are an oxymoron to me, but this team is the real deal. No offense Matty, but I wish they had done this to the Rangers as that would really have proved a point. Although, who knows if that is what would have happened
I really believe that they are a very good team. The biggest difference for them is that pucks have found the back of the net in the post season. They really struggled to score in the regular season (Hence the 8 seed).

They didn't need to beat the Rangers to validate their success in the Playoffs. They beat 2 very good teams (handily) in Vancouver and St. Louis (I was on the fence about the Yotes). In my opinion they are a better version of the Rangers. A very solid defensive team with a stud goaltender that struggles to score goals most of the time. I do think that they have more team speed and also better skill guys then the Rangers. Also for some of these guys, it isn't their first rodeo into the finals, so they know what to expect. Obviously they have the fresher legs too.

As painful as it for me to say, I don't think that the Rangers would have fared much better than the Devils have so far.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
I really believe that they are a very good team. The biggest difference for them is that pucks have found the back of the net in the post season. They really struggled to score in the regular season (Hence the 8 seed).

They didn't need to beat the Rangers to validate their success in the Playoffs. They beat 2 very good teams (handily) in Vancouver and St. Louis (I was on the fence about the Yotes). In my opinion they are a better version of the Rangers. A very solid defensive team with a stud goaltender that struggles to score goals most of the time. I do think that they have more team speed and also better skill guys then the Rangers. Also for some of these guys, it isn't their first rodeo into the finals, so they know what to expect. Obviously they have the fresher legs too.

As painful as it for me to say, I don't think that the Rangers would have fared much better than the Devils have so far.
Very little separates the Devils, Rangers, Flyers, Penguins and Bruins when it comes down to it. The teams in the West seem to be farther apart typically (though this year is an anomaly). The Kings run this year is remarkable and no matter who they beat they deserve all the credit in the world. Switching to Sutter was the difference maker IMO. He was here for an interview with the Avs last summer and while I am a Ranger fan and have no love for Sutter I would've liked to see some winning here.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 AM

The Kings are built for postseason, tight hockey, rather than the more open affairs of the regular season.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Yeah, but how many dudes over the last 20 years have used an illegal stick whether they knew it or not? It was cherry picking by Demers, no doubt about that.
You would be surprised how few illegal sticks there are. Coaches usually have the equipment managers keep an eye on the blades to avoid just such a stupid penalty. They really do stick out like a sore thumb..I'll bet one of the players told Demers early in the game and they sat on it until later. Plus now the composite sticks are almost impossible to alter without ruining them.
One last thought, it really does warm my heart to see that the Kings are winning with a bunch of guys the Flyers felt they couldn't win with. Of course having a goaltender playing like he's the best on the planet helps quite a bit.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiaco View Post
You would be surprised how few illegal sticks there are. Coaches usually have the equipment managers keep an eye on the blades to avoid just such a stupid penalty. They really do stick out like a sore thumb..I'll bet one of the players told Demers early in the game and they sat on it until later. Plus now the composite sticks are almost impossible to alter without ruining them.
But didn't they used to alter the sticks to get more on their shots? Now that these sticks are all composite and have a tremendous amount of flex, (helping the speed of the shot) wouldn't you think that there really aren't too many illegal ones left?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
But didn't they used to alter the sticks to get more on their shots? Now that these sticks are all composite and have a tremendous amount of flex, (helping the speed of the shot) wouldn't you think that there really aren't too many illegal ones left?
A lot of guys used to alter the wood sticks and it was open season on the goalies, hence the rule change and enforcement. The measuring device is at the official scorer's table for every game. It is ridiculous how hard these guys (or anybody at different levels) can shoot with these composite sticks, and like I said it is virtually impossible to alter the blades now.