Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
3 of 4 beaten a hanging head. Tired of it. Meet from hell. Bring on Belmont.
Know exactly how you feel. Think you have done a great job handicapping. I've enjoyed your blog. Problem with the Spa is that there are too many races that involve guesswork. Horse attempting things they have never tried. Races at 1 1/8, 1 3/16, two year olds first grass, first dist etc. etc. Add in full fields, racing luck and some of these improbable winners and it is no wonder we can't string a multi together.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:19 AM
Del Mar

Default THURS - Saratoga (R8-R11 PK4)

Keep firing away, you've been doing some good work all meet.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Les Bois

I also am beating my head over that sneaky kitten hanging nag
Cannot believe there was no pass at the wire, thought we were home...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefff777 View Post
I also am beating my head over that sneaky kitten hanging nag
Cannot believe there was no pass at the wire, thought we were home...
Yes, I was more worried about getting passed from behind by the 8 than not getting by the 7. Sigh.

Thanks guys. I'll see it through even if I'm at my wit's end.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM

Thursday, August 29

Early Pick 4:

3rd: I'm taking a stand with #3 Little Rocket. Her race two back after breaking last was very good and prompted Hushion to take a shot with her in the Prioress. She wasn't disgraced in there, now she takes a drop in class and gets an extra furlong for her late punch. The lack of speed in the race is a small concern, but Little Rocket has enough tactical speed to keep her in touch to prove best late.

4th: #8 Star Harbour is the horse to beat off back form and a drop after stumbling at the start and rushing into a hot pace last out. #1 Blind Hope makes a lot of sense on the drop back down into claimers after trying a race where the winner got a 105 BSF last time out. The rail draw could be a hindrance, however. #2 Majestic Number has turned into a solid sprinter and should be the inside speed in this spot. He's a question mark at seven furlongs. #6 Schoolyard Dreams is most likely to benefit if the pace heats up.

5th: No issues with #4 Jess Not Jesse as the favorite. He's a classy old gelding who brings his race every time he runs and finally draws inside after wide trips in his last two. There are two others that interest me though: #2 Hebert Hall did no running last out, but the way he ran suggested an equipment problem, now Castellano picks up the mount and a return to his race two back would make him competitive with the favorite at three times the price. I wanted to bet #8 Downtownoscarbrown last time out, but Stall scratched him and now he winds up in a slightly tougher spot. Still have to use him, as he's bred up and down for turf and it's not like he's been a slouch on dirt.

6th: Wide open race. Wouldn't take too short a price on anyone.

$1 3/1,2,6,8/2,4,8/3,4,5,6,8,9,11 $84
$4 3/8/4/6,8,9 $12
Race 5 $4 WIN 8

Last edited by ateamstupid : 08-29-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Saratoga

Hang in there Joey, this meet is about as tough as it gets. I feel your frustration, sometimes we have to shrug it off and move on. Keep up the great work and good luck today!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Saratoga

Really only takes one swing of the bat and you are right back in it.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thursday, August 29

Early Pick 4:

3rd: I'm taking a stand with #3 Little Rocket. Her race two back after breaking last was very good and prompted Hushion to take a shot with her in the Prioress. She wasn't disgraced in there, now she takes a drop in class and gets an extra furlong for her late punch. The lack of speed in the race is a small concern, but Little Rocket has enough tactical speed to keep her in touch to prove best late.

4th: #8 Star Harbour is the horse to beat off back form and a drop after stumbling at the start and rushing into a hot pace last out. #1 Blind Hope makes a lot of sense on the drop back down into claimers after trying a race where the winner got a 105 BSF last time out. The rail draw could be a hindrance, however. #2 Majestic Number has turned into a solid sprinter and should be the inside speed in this spot. He's a question mark at seven furlongs. #6 Schoolyard Dreams is most likely to benefit if the pace heats up.

5th: No issues with #4 Jess Not Jesse as the favorite. He's a classy old gelding who brings his race every time he runs and finally draws inside after wide trips in his last two. There are two others that interest me though: #2 Hebert Hall did no running last out, but the way he ran suggested an equipment problem, now Castellano picks up the mount and a return to his race two back would make him competitive with the favorite at three times the price. I wanted to bet #8 Downtownoscarbrown last time out, but Stall scratched him and now he winds up in a slightly tougher spot. Still have to use him, as he's bred up and down for turf and it's not like he's been a slouch on dirt.

6th: Wide open race. Wouldn't take too short a price on anyone.

$1 3/1,2,6,8/2,4,8/3,4,5,6,8,9,11 $84
$4 3/8/4/6,8,9 $12
Race 5 $4 WIN 8
$.50 Pick 4 pays $80.87 x 10 = $808.70
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Randwyck

As the announcer at Blue Bonnets used to say "Boom just like that" you are back in business. Nice cold punch P4.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Nice play, good luck the next four days.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJMK View Post
As the announcer at Blue Bonnets used to say "Boom just like that" you are back in business. Nice cold punch P4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Conway Lane
Nice play, good luck the next four days.
Thanks! Perhaps self-pity was the key all along.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Thanks! Perhaps self-pity was the key all along.
Wish it would work for me too.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Flemington

Nice job Joey!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Del Mar

Bada Bing!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Les Bois

Nice job! Congrats!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Great score Ateam!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM

Thanks all.

Amount Invested: $3,600
Amount Returned: $3,349.07
Net: -$250.93
$2 ROI: $1.86

Friday, August 30

Late Pick 4:

6th: Not much to say. Looks like a two-horse race on paper between #2 Delightful Quality and #6 Maracuya. I think the latter could become a very nice filly sprinter later this season and next.

7th: #3 Instrumental will probably be best for Chad Brown. I liked Serpe's horse before she scratched, now I'm left with #5 Freud's Sunset and to a lesser extent #1 Please No Emails and #9 Backstretch Lady as alternatives.

8th: This race could get a little interesting with the abundance of speed signed on, and although that should set the table for #7 Bella Castani, she's not exactly the most reliable filly in the world. #5 Promise Me More started on turf before showing a big late close on dirt earlier this year, goes out first time for Asmussen and should get a nice setup. #2 Unbelievable Dream, #8 Coarsegold and #9 Sister Ginger all should have chances in the lane. Of the speeds, #6 Midnight Watch is clearly the one you want.

9th: #4 Mr. William will take some beating, but he's not without his warts (claimed by Jacobson, dropped off a layoff, did no running). #1 Powder Springs needs to be sent from the inside but he could prove as the main speed at a good price. #11 Dendrite needs to be used but always finds a way to lose to someone. #5 It's Huge could factor if he runs back to his three-back race.

$.50 2,6/1,3,5,9/2,5,6,7,8,9/1,4,5,11 $96
$2 2,6/3/7/4 $4
Old 08-31-2013, 12:51 PM

Saturday, August 31

Liked this card a lot better before the rains came, so I'm just playing a horse who may not be favored that I consider one of the likeliest winners on the card.

Race 5
#2 Grand Arrival comes out of the Big Sugar Soda race that is increasingly looking like one of the best 2-year-old races of the meet. Strong Mandate came back to win easily with a 92 Beyer and Financial Mogul returned to dominate an off-the-turf race earlier today. Grand Arrival ran the 2nd best race that day, breaking dead last and making a big, wide move on the turn, staying on late to get 3rd. Being a big colt and coming out of the Zito barn, he figures to be better 2nd out and stretching out. None of the firsters look too serious.

Race 5
$100 WIN 2
Old 08-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Saturday, August 31

Liked this card a lot better before the rains came, so I'm just playing a horse who may not be favored that I consider one of the likeliest winners on the card.

Race 5
#2 Grand Arrival comes out of the Big Sugar Soda race that is increasingly looking like one of the best 2-year-old races of the meet. Strong Mandate came back to win easily with a 92 Beyer and Financial Mogul returned to dominate an off-the-turf race earlier today. Grand Arrival ran the 2nd best race that day, breaking dead last and making a big, wide move on the turn, staying on late to get 3rd. Being a big colt and coming out of the Zito barn, he figures to be better 2nd out and stretching out. None of the firsters look too serious.

Race 5
$100 WIN 2
Good luck, hope you're wrong. Live to 5,7,8 $3 pick 3....5,7 are decent scores.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Saturday, August 31

Race 5

Race 5
$100 WIN 2
Nice job, Joey!