Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Steve Crist Column
Nobody expects PETA to be fair or accurate, but the Times is supposed to be better than that and never would have run the story on its own without observing the basic tenets of journalism its readers expect and deserve
NYT: influential? Yes. Credible? No, not for many years now.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
NYT: influential? Yes. Credible? No, not for many years now.
True 'dat. See: Miller, Judith.

Not to mention any paper dumb enough to give Ross Douthat a column is immediately suspect.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 AM
The Curragh

This thing was part of the CBS world news roundup on my ride in to work this morning.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Pimlico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
What is the story exactly? That horses get Lasix when they train? That horses can have bad feet that need constant attention? That horses colic and die? That undocumented workers are employed on the backstretch? Fold in the sensationalized video.. It's news that owners want to win at Saratoga? That barns are happy to lose underachievers to claims? That outfits utilize various supplements in feeding regimens? That treatment options include pin firing and shockwave therapy? What elements of the 'story' were revelations to you?
I am surprised that you do not see this for what it is, terrible publicity for a sport that struggles to get any notice at all. How we as fans see this report is very different from how the public at large will. Just look at dog racing that could be our future if this industry does not get its act together.

It has been said over and over, but it seems that any coordination or cooperation in this industry an unattainable goal.

We will see what type of attention this gets. But it should be a wake up call.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Narragansett Park

Where's Chuck's two cents?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Jerome Park

Zayat scratches horses running this weekend.

Per Bloodhorse: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ses?source=rss
Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Havre de Grace

I don't know what's harder to believe, whether the woman in question actually worked for PETA or whether Ahmed Zayat just learned Nehro had bad feet.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alydar View Post
I am surprised that you do not see this for what it is, terrible publicity for a sport that struggles to get any notice at all. How we as fans see this report is very different from how the public at large will. Just look at dog racing that could be our future if this industry does not get its act together.

It has been said over and over, but it seems that any coordination or cooperation in this industry an unattainable goal.

We will see what type of attention this gets. But it should be a wake up call.
No, no.. I see that, of course. A separate topic to the sensationalized and selective nuts and bolts.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I don't know what's harder to believe, whether the woman in question actually worked for PETA or whether Ahmed Zayat just learned Nehro had bad feet.
I thought that was pretty funny myself.

Reminds me of another story of a guy who used to have horses with Baffert and after one of them died he learned for the first time there was an issue for a long period of time.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I wonder if it actually was a woman who was undercover? I mean I know the vid had a silhouette of a woman with her voice distorted, but what if she was reading a script of accounts from a guy that actually worked under them? So the guy wouldn't be exposed I mean?
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post
I wonder if it actually was a woman who was undercover? I mean I know the vid had a silhouette of a woman with her voice distorted, but what if she was reading a script of accounts from a guy that actually worked under them? So the guy wouldn't be exposed I mean?
"What if c-a-t really spelled dog?" - Ogre
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Saratoga

Statement about 2014 Hall of Fame nominations

National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame statement about 2014 Hall of Fame nominations

Statement from the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame: Based on pending investigations by the New York State Gaming Commission and the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission into allegations made by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and reported by various media outlets, the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame has decided it is in the best interests of the institution and the sport of thoroughbred racing in general to table the 2014 Hall of Fame nomination of trainer Steve Asmussen.

http://www.racingmuseum.org/news/news.asp?varID=365
Old 03-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post
No sure if it's true, but I read somewhere that it was Scott's ex girlfriend.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
Wow thats really taking your undercover to the extreme.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Fairgrounds

Did they state in the video that 24 horses die PER WEEK at racetracks?? That would mean 1248 horses die a year at the racetrack, which I find very hard to believe. And I don't think Blasi will have a good time at the track anymore with the attitude he presented. I don't think this is good news for anybody.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:09 AM
Randwyck

What I can't figure is what's with the clandestine video other that to make it look like an expose for the media. You can walk around the backstretch at any race track and see what was being "exposed" here. Vets injecting joints, cryoing splints, lasix shots all normal procedures that go on every day.
Racing is a business and unfortunately most horses need work to keep them on the track. Would PETA prefer the horse stay sore or lame? I am sure what they really would like is to have the tracks close all together.
Trainers swear around the barns? Thats big news. Bosses who treat their staff like crap and take advantage of them? Yup the backstretch is the only place that ever happens.
Unfortunately main street media eats up crap like this and gives it far too much exposure.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:18 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
what if Declansharbor was really spelled d-o-u-c-h-e-b-a-g? Oh... wait... I think it might be...

Im just saying, if they (people associated with Asmussen) were trying to pinpoint who did all this stuff, it might be in the undercover person's best interest to chnge up everything including gender. Plenty of you guys keep posting about PETA putting a spin on this to get the reaction they want. Who's to say they didn't change up the undercover person's identity too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
or this... If that's true, "hell hath no fury..."
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 03-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Belmont Park

A salient, lucid, and level-headed reaction to the video from Maggi Moss in the Courier Journal:
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/rac...time-employer/
Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
A salient, lucid, and level-headed reaction to the video from Maggi Moss in the Courier Journal:
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/rac...time-employer/
And as well from Winchell's David Fiske, inside Jennie Rees blog item:

David Fiske, racing manager for Winchell Thoroughbreds, told me Thursday that he and owner Ron Winchell had read the story and seen the video but otherwise had no comment. The Winchell family has had a connection to the Asmussen family for decades, including Steve training current Kentucky Derby contender Tapiture and major Oaks contender Untapable.

Daily Racing Form on Friday quoted Fiske as saying no decision had been made whether those horses would remain with Asmussen.

“We’ll assess the situation, do what’s best for us; not entirely sure what that is at the moment,” Fiske said. “The video and the story don’t reflect the experiences we’ve had with Steve and Scott over the last 20 years that we’ve had horses with them.”

On Thursday, I went frame by frame through the video — designed to shock, including with all of Blasi’s profanities and vulgarities — with prominent Kentucky veterinarian Rick Fischer to get an equine practitioner’s view of what we really are seeing. Fischer, who has never worked for Asmussen but is well-acquainted with his veterinarians, cited a long list of distortions and inaccuracies in the video, concluding, “It’s so biased, it’s beyond belief anybody can watch this and believe this is the way things really are.”