Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Fair enough, but my point was that 100% of his figures prior to the Wood are based on the Inner track at Aqueduct....75% of which were over an off track.

Food for thought, is all. If the Wood was a conditioner for him (consequently, his best race to date + his longest distance ever run, over a traditionally laid-out surface), he could clearly move up at a huge number. I'll be watching his works and how he handles CD very closely.
Oh of course, I'm not doubting his potential to continue to improve. I'm just not sure that improvement would be enough to be a major factor. He could move up as you suggest, as could many others in the field, and run a great race. Problem is in the Derby that might mean only 5th place...
Old 04-18-2015, 07:40 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywizard
There are 19 listed entries and two shouldn't even be listed (imperia and Ocean Knight)...Even if I make the 20th horse 99-1 this still comes to 143%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnunan4759 View Post
tywizard, what should the % be ? I know it's 100% plus takeout which I think is 20% to 24% here.

I think a 145% line is highly dubious as to the motive. I think it's fishy. Maybe essentially it's accurate in ranking, but it serves to make people think they are getting bargains, when they aren't. I think it's deceptive.
Quote:
I thought it's 100 + takeout + # of starters. Don't know off hand what CD's WPS rake is, but it seems like 145 is a fair par
You want that number to be small, not big. The amount above 100% is closely related to track take, but not quite the same. It doesn't have anything to do with the number of horses, but every horse that might be in the race should be included in the line.

(The number 143% corresponds to a 30% track takeout.)

Here's what you do to calculate that number if you have an odds line.

1. Convert each horse's odds to a "fair" win probability. For example, if a horse is even money, to be "fair" it should win 50% of the time. So the "fair" win probability is 50%.

If a horse is 3-1, then the "fair" win probability is 25%. (because with 3-1 odds, if you win 1 out of 4 times, you'll break even.

The general rule is this:
if the odds are "fair", then WinProbability = 1/(1+Odds)

2. Add up all the "WinProbabilities". If the line is completely fair, it would add to 100%. If the odds have been set lower than fair odds, then the total of the WinProbabilities will be greater than 100%. The 17.5% track takeout at CD will cause the "WinProbabilites" (calclulated from a race's closing odds) to sum to 121%

When a futures line is as big as 143%, it's pathetic. It's like betting into a 30% track take. (And the fact that Bovada's didn't include every possible entrant makes it even worse.)

--Dunbar
Old 04-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Flemington

One Lucky Dane out of Derby after being vanned off the track today.

He is going for radiographs.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
I'd like to know what exactly Tencendur has done wrong - caught off-tracks in 3 of 5 starts, and moved up nicely when finally catching a fast main track. A lot of Frosted love here, yet this one had a legit shot to move way up off the Wood effort and is not even in many of the discussions.
He's a toss for me. He was closer to the moderate pace and still unable to hold off Frosted. He will be getting a new jockey and there's a chance he bounces.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:02 PM
Steve Byk

WEEKEND WORKOUT VIDEO

DORTMUND (4/18) http://www.hrtv.com/videos/workout-dortmund-41815/

Worst news comes from last of 11 Derby workers
By Jay Privman

ARCADIA, Calif. – When it came to Kentucky Derby workouts on Saturday, they saved the worst news for last.

One Lucky Dane, second last time out in the Santa Anita Derby, was taken off the Kentucky Derby trail after suffering a condylar fracture to his left front ankle in a workout here at Santa Anita.

One Lucky Dane was pulled up following the work – he was timed in 59.20 seconds for five furlongs -- by jockey Rafael Bejarano, who said One Lucky Dane was favoring his left front leg. He was given a ride back to trainer Bob Baffert’s barn in a horse ambulance, and got off the van just fine, but was missing his left front shoe.

As One Lucky Dane was walked to cool out, he began to favor, just slightly, his left front. Before radiographs were taken by Dr. Vince Baker, Baffert said regardless of what they revealed, One Lucky Dane was off the Derby trail.

Radiographs later revealed the fracture. Baffert said surgery would be performed, and screws inserted to aid healing. The chances of him racing again are good.

“This is just a reminder of how things can go south in a hurry,” Baffert said.

The defection of One Lucky Dane means Madefromlucky is now in the top 20 for points should his connections desire to run in the Derby on May 2. Keen Ice is now 21st on the list, followed by Frammento.

One Lucky Dane was the last of 11 Derby contenders who worked at five different venues on Saturday. The other works went off without a hitch.

Earlier at Santa Anita, Dortmund, who beat One Lucky Dane in the Santa Anita Derby, and Firing Line both drilled.

At Palm Beach Downs, trainer Todd Pletcher worked Itsaknockout, Materiality, and Stanford before jumping on a plane to Kentucky, where Pletcher worked Carpe Diem later in the morning at Keeneland.

Danzig Moon, International Star, and Keen Ice worked at Churchill Downs, while Tencendur worked at Belmont Park.

One Lucky Dane came on the track after the last of three renovation breaks. Soon after entering the track, and well before he was to work, a horse got loose near the finish and dashed up the stretch, missing One Lucky Dane and his workmate.

One Lucky Dane then continued to jog up the stretch, and began his work on the backstretch at the five-furlong pole, breaking off about three lengths behind his company.

Bejarano had to urge One Lucky Dane to get past his company, which he did, but a quarter-mile later, Bejarano brought him to a halt and hopped off.

“This is why I have white hair,” Baffert muttered.

Bejarano rode with One Lucky Dane in the horse ambulance back to Baffert’s barn.

“His left-front went completely down,” Bejarano said.

“You did the right thing,” Baffert told him.

A little more than an hour earlier, Dortmund worked five furlongs in 58.80 seconds under jockey Martin Garcia, a time that equaled the best of the morning among 59 at the distance. Dortmund, also trained by Baffert, broke off behind one workmate, then had another range up outside him near the top of the lane, and he put away both tag-team rivals.

“It was good experience for him,” said Garcia, who has the mount in the Derby. “In between horses, no problem. Got a little dirt, no problem. I’m very happy.”

Firing Line, with jockey Gary Stevens up, broke off about 20 seconds after Dortmund for a five-furlong work that was timed officially in 1:00.40. He started about three lengths behind his workmate and kicked clear late in an impressive drill.

“It was an ideal work,” said his trainer, Simon Callaghan, who wanted Firing Line to sit behind his company, which he did.

Both Dortmund and Firing Line are scheduled to have their final works at Santa Anita next Saturday before flying to Kentucky on Sunday, April 26.

At Palm Beach Downs, Materiality and Stanford worked together both received times of 1:00.52 for five furlongs, while Itsaknockout went four furlongs in 48.17 seconds. All three are scheduled to fly to Kentucky on Tuesday and go to Churchill Downs for their final drills.

Materiality was particularly impressive Saturday, as he was last weekend.

“I thought it was another very good work,” Pletcher said. “A nice, steady, aggressive five-eighths; he seemed to be well in hand throughout. The horse continues to train really well. You have to respect how difficult the race is, but at the same time you have an undefeated horse who seems to be training super.”

Carpe Diem worked a half-mile in 48 seconds under John Velazquez and galloped out five furlongs in 1:00.40 and six furlongs in 1:13.80.

“I thought he worked super,” said Pletcher, who said Carpe Diem would have his final work next weekend at either Keeneland or Churchill.

John Velazquez has to choose between Carpe Diem and Materiality. Javier Castellano and Mike Smith have been mentioned by Pletcher as possible replacements for whoever Velazquez doesn’t choose, though Smith is in play for Bolo and Far Right, too.

At Churchill Downs, International Star worked five furlongs in 1:01.80 for trainer Mike Maker while easily besting a workmate.

Danzig Moon blazed five furlongs in 58 seconds while in company for trainer Mark Casse. He finished about a neck behind his workmate.

Keen Ice worked alone for trainer Dale Romans and got an official clocking of 1:13.20 for six furlongs.

At Belmont, Tencendur worked a half-mile in 47.16 seconds for trainer George Weaver. Jockey Manny Franco was aboard, and could have the mount in the Derby. Jose Ortiz, who rode Tencendur in the Wood, rides Upstart in the Derby.

Tencendur was scheduled to leave New York by van on Sunday and is scheduled to have his final Derby workout next weekend at Churchill Downs.

--additional reporting by David Grening, Byron King, Marty McGee, and Mike Welsch

Last edited by Kasept : 04-18-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:07 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywizard View Post
He's a toss for me. He was closer to the moderate pace and still unable to hold off Frosted. He will be getting a new jockey and there's a chance he bounces.
I can get tossing horses like Carpe Diem, who is likely going to be grossly over bet. But this horse at like 30 or 35-1 can move forward. A few good points have been made in this thread about him.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:59 PM
Hawthorne

I would think Castellano over Smith on Materiality, no?
Old 04-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE View Post
I would think Castellano over Smith on Materiality, no?
Owners are pushing for Smith (there's a New Mexico tie-in); Pletcher prefers Castellano.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:20 PM
The Curragh

Well if it's Smith we'll know who's gonna be on the lead.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:28 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
I'd like to know what exactly Tencendur has done wrong - caught off-tracks in 3 of 5 starts, and moved up nicely when finally catching a fast main track. A lot of Frosted love here, yet this one had a legit shot to move way up off the Wood effort and is not even in many of the discussions.
I agree with you, btw. Especially at the 60-1 being offered offshore.

--Dunbar
Old 04-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Jerome Park

Stink eye from Dortmund today

11083974_10155421474690720_7659398229194603339_o.jpg
Old 04-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogadew View Post
My key horse in Derby Day verticals and horizontals will be One Lucky Dane.
Tough news from yesterday for the connections.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Gulfstream Park

Bejarano confirmed on Bolo. Live exotics horse.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Steve Byk

Borel gets El Kabeir back.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Steve Byk

Kentucky Oaks

1. Condo Commando (Rodriguez)
2. I’m a Chatterbox (Jones)
3. Stellar Wind (Sadler)
4. Birdatthewire (Romans)
5. Lovely Maria (Jones)
6. Include Betty (Proctor)
7. Oceanwave (Catalano)
8. Angela Renee (Pletcher)
9. Sarah Sis (Mason)
10. Maybellene -- Possible (Baffert)
11. Eskenformoney (Pletcher)
12. Puca (Mott)
13. Shook Up (Asmussen)
14. Luminance -- Possible (Baffert)
------------------------
15. Forever Unbridled (Stewart)
16. Achiever’s Legacy (Hollendorfer)
17. Money'soncharlotte (Breen)
18. Danessa Deluxe (Navarro)
19. Callback (Baffert)
20. Wonder Gal (Gyarmati)
Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Steve Byk

Default Oaks & Derby Day Undercard Stakes Probables

$400,000 ALYSHEBA (GII) (Entries taken April 28; race May 1)

Call Me George
Honor Code
Noble Bird
Ride On Curlin

Possible: Den's Legacy

$300,000 LA TROIENNE (GI) (Entries taken April 28; race May 1)

America
Frivolous
Molly Morgan
My Miss Sophia
Pearl Turn
Sheer Drama
Stopchargingmaria
Tiz Windy
Wedding Toast

Possible: Interest Free

$200,000 EIGHT BELLES (GIII) (Entries taken April 28; race May 1)

Ekati's Phaeton
Fancy and Flashy
Lavender Chrissie
Mizz Money
Promise Me Silver
Streetheart
Taylor S
Wonder Gal

$150,000 EDGEWOOD PRESENTED BY FORCHT BANK (GIII) (Entries taken April 28; race May 1)

Pangburn
Peace and War
Quality Rocks
Qunita Verde (IRE)

Possible: B Rockett, Sweet Opportunity, Whimsicality

$150,000 TWIN SPIRES TURF SPRINT (GIII)(Entries taken April 28; race May 1)

Berlino Di Tiger (BRZ)
Buster Rose
Channel Marker
Good Deed
Heitai
Positive Side
Power Alert (AUS)
Something Extra
Undrafted
Old 04-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Steve Byk

$500,000 WOODFORD RESERVE TURF CLASSIC (GI) (Entries taken April 29; race May 2)

Chocolate Ride
Finnegans Wake
Seek Again
Umgiyo (AUS)

$500,000 CHURCHILL DOWNS (GII) (Entries taken April 29; race May 2)

Bayern
C. Zee
Coup de Grace
Pants On Fire
Private Zone

Possible: The Big Beast

$300,000 CHURCHILL DOWNS DISTAFF TURF MILE (GII) (Entries taken April 29; race May 2)

Coffee Clique
I'm Already Sexy
Lady Lara (IRE)
Maid On a Mission
Personal Diary
Sandiva (IRE)
Solid Appeal
Strike Charmer
Tepin

$300,000 HUMANA DISTAFF (GI) (Entries taken April 29; race May 2)

Classic Point
Dame Dorothy
Judy the Beauty
Princess Violet
Sweet Reason
Sweet Whiskey
You Bought Her

Possible: Clearly Confused

$250,000 AMERICAN TURF (GII) (Entries taken April 29; race May 2)

A Lot
Conquest Typhoon
Firespike
Force the Pass
Metaboss
Tuba
World Approval

Possible: Royal Son

$200,000 PAT DAY MILE (GIII) (Entries taken April 29; race May 2)

Competitive Edge
Conquest Bigluck E
Hillbilly Royalty
Pain and Misery
Prospect Park
Toasting Master
Where's the Moon
Old 04-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Havre de Grace

prospect park in the holy roller mile ? scared of the Dortmund/Firing line ?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Aqueduct

anyone else here wondering/concerned about so many of the KD horses not even having a work here? i know that the track changes and that workouts this late in the game probably dont do much but i can think of 3 horses off the top of my head that had really good workouts pre KD and ran very very well. Just wish they would all get at least one spin around the track. Ive heard trainers say that if the horse hates CD working here isn't going to matter and that the day of the race it is what it is, course im sure bettors may not be too pumped about that response id sure as heck like to know that the horse hates the track before i bet on them.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Shall there be the special 2 day pick 3??