Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Hang in there Doc. Cherish the last time you have left with Shadow.

I lost my Dalmation, Abby (named after a Greyhound that I cashed several tickets on in Miami, Anna's Abby) 2 years ago and this is the first I have spoken of it. It absolutely crushed me and still does just writing this. She was 13 and her first 8 years were when I was single and it was just me and Abby. We had many long talks about life and she was the best listener. The last 5 years were with my wife and kids and she took the change well and became one of the family. She was a wreck in the end. Bad heart murmer, going blind, bad hip etc...when the incessant nose bleeds began, we knew it was time.

My wife and kids want another dog, but I have put them off because I don't know if I can go through that again.
I just rescued another one from the pound. She was going to be put to sleep.

As hard as it is when you lose them, sometimes having another one around causing trouble eases the pain. I got Coal (lab rescue) a few months after we lost our younger golden, Jagger. Jag had a brain aneurysm and it all went downhill from there. I got Coal to keep Nug company... Nugget was devastated when Jagger was gone.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3

It's probably not the place for this and you would think I should be a hell of alot better with this given I deal with human suffering and death every day of my profesional life but the one completely selfless loving being I have ever known is leaving our family and I am beyond devastated.

My 12 year old golden "Shadow" (sassy chance and shadow with those with an awareness of that family).....was diagnosed with metastatic lymphoma yesterday. He isn't suffering at the moment but is disinterested in eating and his usual activity......

All this animal ever did was....

1) raise my children ........he had the unique innate ability to lie with young boys at night when they didn't want to be alone until they fell asleep, knowning somehow by the change in their breathing that slumber had befallen them and he could now safely leave their sides each night. The security he gave my sons is not definable.

2) greet me each and every time I came through a door morning, noon or night as if I had come home from a war with the passion and happiness of lovers too long apart.

3) lived to make our family happy each and every day, never cross, complaining or difficult. How many people do you know in your life that haven't got one annoying habit or flaw.

He isn't apparently in pain and has periods of alertness with a wagging tail, alert eyes, affection craving. Is it cruel to hold on to further time together if you think it is quality time from both perspectives.

My friend has done more for me several times over than I have ever done for him, a selfless example of devotion who made every person he lived with a better creature by knowning him. An example of altuism when the word is used all too easily.

Euthanized is a word I have a great deal of a problem with if the animal isn't apparently suffering.

I love my dog so shoot me......the loss is a hole in my head and heart I'll not soon mend.
I can feel the love and pain in your post, don't be embarassed about loving an animal and suffering their loss. I know how you feel, and trust me a lot of my animals who have passed on have meant FAR more to me than a lot of people. It's a fact that our animals are an integral part of our lives, their loss is no more devastating because they have 4 legs, it's how much they mean to us, I spend a lot of time everyday with my dogs and my horses, they become a part of your life and you rely on them so much.
I think you will find you will know when it is time to let your pal go, they let you know, and again, my sympathy to you, what a lucky dog to be loved so much.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Hialeah Park

Doc,
All I can say is that I'm really sad for you. Just don't give up hope.
My 14 yo Brittany, ol' bird dog that he is, almost died this past winter.
I kept him going and he's still going...sleeping at my feet as I type this.
So, as long as your critter isn't in discomfort, keep the hope.
I hope so for you and your family.
All living things that are loved cause us pain when they leave our lives.
All must pass.
If it's any comfort, I believe that there will be a reunion at some point.
It's not in time.
A Zen master once told me to think of a river, all flowing towards an unknown destination. Then the river finds a cliff and disintergrates into millions of droplets, all continuing the journey, each independent for a moment as a beautiful waterfall is realized. Only from a distance can it be seen and appreciated.
Then the droplets reach the bottom of the waterfall.
They reunite.
The river continues onward.

I hope for you and your friend.
DTS
Old 05-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Les Bois

When our shepherd died at age 6, that was the first dog since childhood that I had to say goodbye to, and I wondered if I wanted to go through that again. But my wife and son were adamant about moving on and we got two dogs to replace Keno; one just couldn't do it, and frankly they haven't "replaced" him. That being said, they have brought us a lot of joy the last two years.

It's a cliche, but the "better to have loved and lost..." line is correct, I think. Or as Bruce Springsteen says in Badlands: "Badlands you gotta live it every day, let the broken hearts stand, that's the price you gotta pay."

Again, good luck during this difficult period.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:52 AM
The Curragh

I have tried three times before this to write this reply but I am so overcome by the swell of support and kindness from all of you, most of you I haven't met, that my keyboard stammers and stutters. In an hour 150 people looked at the original post and 20 from around the country took time from their busy day to ease my pain and support my family.

About a year ago I came upon a website about horse racing and somehow I left with a membership in a family from all walks of life that typifies what is good about the human condition and how we share each other's emotions good and bad, happy and sad.

Thank you all for your kindness during my hour of need and may we all pause for a moment this evening with whatever family means to you to simply enjoy the gift of the connection with them because it makes us all better people as you all have made me feel today.

Sumwonlovesyou........and it may be the community of Derby Trail.

God Bless You All.....
Old 05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Hang in there Doc. Cherish the last time you have left with Shadow.

I lost my Dalmation, Abby (named after a Greyhound that I cashed several tickets on in Miami, Anna's Abby) 2 years ago and this is the first I have spoken of it. It absolutely crushed me and still does just writing this. She was 13 and her first 8 years were when I was single and it was just me and Abby. We had many long talks about life and she was the best listener. The last 5 years were with my wife and kids and she took the change well and became one of the family. She was a wreck in the end. Bad heart murmer, going blind, bad hip etc...when the incessant nose bleeds began, we knew it was time.

My wife and kids want another dog, but I have put them off because I don't know if I can go through that again.
Get another one. I thought the same thing but trust me, it is just as awesome as it was with the old dog. Even better becuase you know to cherish everything even more
Old 05-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
I have tried three times before this to write this reply but I am so overcome by the swell of support and kindness from all of you, most of you I haven't met, that my keyboard stammers and stutters. In an hour 150 people looked at the original post and 20 from around the country took time from their busy day to ease my pain and support my family.

About a year ago I came upon a website about horse racing and somehow I left with a membership in a family from all walks of life that typifies what is good about the human condition and how we share each other's emotions good and bad, happy and sad.

Thank you all for your kindness during my hour of need and may we all pause for a moment this evening with whatever family means to you to simply enjoy the gift of the connection with them because it makes us all better people as you all have made me feel today.

God Bless You All.....
Word Doc....Word...

I got this itchy burning sensation I need some help with, any advice?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Word Doc....Word...

I got this itchy burning sensation I need some help with, any advice?
I hope to God it's your fingers 'itching and burning' to forward me some of that cash flow and not something else! Hehehe
Old 05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I hope to God it's your fingers 'itching and burning' to forward me some of that cash flow and not something else! Hehehe
just trying to lighten up the thread a little bit....For the record and all the DT ladies that are eagerly awaiting Scav's arrival to Toga, there is no itchy burning sensation
Old 05-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

God Bless You All.....
Doc,
Your words say so much.
Yes, all things happen, though at times we don't understand.
I believe that there is intent beyond our understanding.
Yes, it pushes us to connect (see the waterfall metaphor).
If anything is demonstated by all of the posts in this thread, please find that we all have the capacity to "feel"...and to "love".
God bless, and peace.
DTS
Old 05-31-2007, 12:15 PM
The Curragh

I can spot you a little antimicrobial supply SCAV'S just in case your ROLL spills over into other parts of your life.

.....I haven't lost my sense of humor Shadow would never allow it!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

I am so sorry for you pain. Do not feel like you cant post your thoughts. I lost Reno my 14yr old Rott., who I had since she was 5 weeks old. The biggest (125lbs) lap/bed dog you would ever meet. Did not like to be outside unless to do her business, she said that it was to hot for her not to be in the A/C.lol If the truck left, she was gonna be in it. Figured I would break her of wanting to go everytime the truck left, so took her with me to Delta Downs, from Baton Rouge to pick up a horse. I just knew the long trip would do the trick,,,yeah right. Got back at 4pm, decided to go to the store at 5pm and she was waiting at the truck door by the time I got my cell phone and purse on my shoulder!! I dont care what anyone says, they are like family and it hurts so much when they go, it has been 5 years and I still miss "Fatty Patty" every day.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Narragansett Park

Doc,

As others have said, Shadow will let you know when it is time to say good bye. In Feb. I had to put my our cat to sleep and it was probably one of the most difficult things I ever had to do. I knew that it was time, and I was comformted by the fact that the Vet. said it was the absolutly the right thing to do for the cat.

My thoughts are with your in time of need.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Goodwood

There are effective alternatives beyond allopathic methods. I realize that someone with your background will most likely disagree with that statement, but heck, why not look into other methods??

Either way, I wish the both of you well through this.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Newmarket

Quote:

God Bless You All.....
Isn't it unreal how a small virtual community can have such a REAL impact on your life and emotions? I read your post about your dog, and like many here have already expressed, I can relate exactly to your emotion and feel your pain. The way you wrote it out was very open and honest and therefore made it instantly obvious to everyone your dilemma. I think it says a lot that you chose this place, DerbyTrail, to express those emotions, private painful feelings. I think you did so because you needed to get it out, to tell people, and its here that you feel comfortable.
I admire you for sharing your feelings at this sad time. None of us are without this kind of pain from time to time, its the price we pay for loving our pets, or others.

Last edited by ArlJim78 : 05-31-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable
The price we pay for loving and being loved by another is the pain of loss.

By focusing on the love, and not the loss, you'll know the right time and do the right thing.

The loss is never easy. The love remains with you always.
Doc: I couldn't say it any better than this post by Unstable! Thank you for sharing this story, and may the next few months with your "Shadow" be the best!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Goodwood

Quote:

God Bless You All.....
Doc, you're a great guy and it was really a pleasure to meet you... and as we are all fans of animals here we can share your pain. Hang in there and feel the support of everyone.
Regards- Phil
Old 05-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Thistley Downs

Doctor;

Mr. M.D. ...can you tell me..........oh skip it. Just trying to help out here.

But you wrote your lament so skillfully it evokes extra emotion.It's odd how doggies can be like people.

None of this will make you feel better,but I woud think typing it out as you did helps in itself.I would think you will see your great friend again some day as I feel,not that I can explain,it will be that way.

Best to you,sir.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Hialeah Park

Doc,

Theres few things in this life that are harder to take than that of a family member passing. When our dog Hunter (RIP) left us, there was this huge void in our lives. We had to pick up the peices and get on with it, as tough as it seems. My prayers will be with you, especially knowing the pain that it causes.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 05-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Woodbine

I'm so very sorry for you, doc.

My buddies are getting up there in years, too, and I really understand your pain.