Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Thistley Downs

Will you kindly stop beating a dead horse?

Oh.

That wasn't very nice.

I didn't mean it,BrownSugar.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
Will you kindly stop beating a dead horse?

Oh.

That wasn't very nice.

I didn't mean it,BrownSugar.
I was once at the track and the horse i played... I won't disrespect him and mention his name... won the race.

The connections were estatic. A small group but with so much life and energy you'd think there were 30 people heading down to the winner's circle and not just the eight or so.

This was a moment that meant everything and they were such a joy to watch. This was obviously one of the great moments of each of their lives.

The thing is, I turned to look the other way. One by one the horses came back but the horse with the number 4 saddle cloth? Something went wrong.

The jockey jumped off and lowered himself, others came to the horse and i could see his leg....

I looked to the winner's circle again and the group was still joyful..... they hadn't seen yet.

Not yet.

It was one of those moments of such profound sorrw... seeing the jockey walk toward them, looking devastated and carrying that yellow saddle cloth and watching them turn around one by one, the ambulance, the anguish, the silence, the shock.....

He didn't make it.

The moment they'll never forget is a moment I'll never forget.

I know you didn't mean it but i can't read your post and not answer it in my own way.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Thistley Downs

I am such a yutz.

That was very well said.

I just wish it wasn't number 4.

You do fine work here,KittyKatty......I would give you 10 pies any day.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:42 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
From Racing post.....

Run in peace.

Trainer Chamings pays tribute to fatally injured Take A Bow

by Lee Mottershead

PATRICK CHAMINGS on Sunday described Take A Bow as a horse who "gave everything", as he paid tribute to his stable star, who died after suffering a serious leg injury at Windsor on Saturday.

The remarkably consistent six-year-old suffered multiple fractures to his near hind leg entering the closing stages of the Group 3 Winter Hill Stakes.

His death came just three months after he'd enjoyed the finest moment of his career when landing the Brigadier Gerard Stakes, also a Group 3, under regular rider Jim Crowley.

Before Saturday, and after finishing seventh on his two-year-old debut, Take A Bow earned prize-money in all his runs and finished out of the first four only once in 24 starts.

Twice placed in the Cambridgeshire, he raced on Saturday, as throughout his career, for 90-year-old owner Anne Wright, who was able to say a final goodbye to Take A Bow after the Windsor vets had delayed euthanising him until she'd seen him for a final time.

Describing Take A Bow as "astonishing", Chamings said: "He was a tough and resolute horse who gave everything. You come across few horses like that, and losing him leaves a huge hole in the yard.

"He had been better than ever this year, and his victory in the Brigadier Gerard was the highlight of his career. It's awful to lose him but we have the consolation of still having other members of his family."

Crowley said: "He was a top horse who was improving. He always gave 100 per cent and I'll certainly miss riding him."

Take A Bow won five of his 26 races, finishing second seven times, third six times and fourth on a further five occasions. He earned £164,176 in win and place prize-money, and received a Racing Post Rating of 115 for his Group 3success.
Saw this race yesterday and it was very upsetting. It had been thought that it was only a tendon injury, but unfortunately not

Really liked this horse, seen him several times and he was a real gentleman.

I'm going to miss seeing him around.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 08-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Saratoga

Indian Flare..... today after the Ballerina.

Rest in peace, good girl.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Saratoga

Diamond Lover..... rest in peace.
http://www.thoroughbrednews.co.nz/nz/?id=30831
Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Saratoga

Two in one race.....

Goodnight Swing with Astair and Kato's Dancer.

They died trying. Rest in peace.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...082607USA1.pdf
Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Saratoga

Cards Speak, today at Bay Meadows.

Run in peace.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Saratoga

Asaad Makmang who was known as Agong..... an exercise rider at Kranji for some of the top Singapore trainers / horses. He was known for having a special touch with the badly behaved horses.

He was riding Maxim Gun this morning and fell off, and was found unconscious and not breathing. He died on the way to the hospital and leaves behind two small children.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Saratoga

Cantrel, in R1 at Presque Isle Downs today, and Silver State.

DRF...

Horse dies from training injuries

Silver State, a 3-year-old maiden who was training for his first start since his debut in June 2006, became the third horse to be euthanized this summer as a result of injuries sustained while training on Del Mar's new Polytrack surface, the track announced.

Silver State suffered a knee injury in a workout on Aug. 6, when he drilled a half-mile in 49 seconds. He subsequently underwent surgery, but suffered complications and was euthanized on Tuesday, according to publicist Dan Smith.

No horses have died as a result of injuries in races this summer on Polytrack. Four horses have been euthanized from injuries on Del Mar's turf course - three in races, one in a workout - bringing to seven the number of horses who have been euthanized this summer, well below the rate of last summer, when 18 were euthanized as a result of injuries suffered during racing or training.

Rest in peace.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Saratoga

Swedish Radar, yesterday at Del Mar.

Run in peace.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Saratoga

Waitingonasunnyday, at Del Mar.

Goodnight, good girl.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/waitingonasunnyday
Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Saratoga

Banker's Jet..... rest in peace.

http://www.trfinc.org/

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TRF Loses a Friend: Banker’s Jet Euthanized at Age 25

By Ray Roy

Editor's Note: Banker's Jet, the winner of the 1987 A Phenomenon Stakes at Saratoga and 27 other races, was rescued by the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation after being discovered near death on the grounds of a riding stable in upstate New York. His will to live and his subsequent recovery touched thousands. He spent his final years being pampered on the Connecticut farm of TRF Treasurer Ray Roy.

Jet was an unusual horse. His story has been told over and over in newspapers and magazines–even with fictional twists, in the television movie "Big Spender." Jet's legs were destroyed by racing; but his spirit and natural nobility kept him going long after his racing career ended at the Meadowlands in 1981.

As poster boy for the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, Banker's Jet more than paid his way–inspiring hundreds of people to send in donations.

Finally, Jet's legs, crippled with arthritis, could not support him. After years of doing double duty because the right front couldn't, the left front gave out. Banker's Jet was put to sleep on July 23, 2007.

Just a month earlier, a woman from Bristol, CT and her father had visited my farm; they took many photos of Jet. Subsequently, the woman mailed a few to me, and I sent two on to Monique Koehler. I believe that Monique will attest to the fine flesh and look Jet carried into his very last days. The visitor was a friend of photographer Barbara Livingston; she said she was encouraging Barbara to travel to Connecticut to photograph Banker's Jet. He would have been a worthy subject for her art.

Banker's Jet was my buddy for 14 years. He taught me much about horses and horse racing. Jet was always the suspicious one; humans were not to be trusted. It took several years and some bumps and bruises, but I finally became Jet's one trusted human friend. He, of course, was not able to comprehend how much that meant to me.

I will be forever grateful to Ron Gibson, Jim Tremper, Robert Roth, Chino and the others who were involved at Wallkill with the rescue and rehabilitation of Banker's Jet. Thanks also to Monique, who permitted me to move Jet and his first girlfriend, Fashion Note, to my farm at a time when the concept of adoption was brand new for the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation. In a way, Jet was a TRF pioneer.

The TRF is a registered 501 © 3 non-profit organization which relies entirely on charitable donations to fund its various rescue, rehabilitation, adoption and retirement programs. All contributions are tax deductible. For more information, contact the TRF at (732) 957-0182 or info@trfinc.org
Old 09-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Saratoga

Find the Chestnut..... 4 years old.

Gone too soon.

Fly with the angels, good girl.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Saratoga

From Racing post...

Rest in peace.

Dual 2,000 Guineas winner Tirol dies of colic aged 20

by Nancy Sexton

TIROL, winner of the 1990 2,000 Guineas, has died from colic at the age of 20 at Capricorn Stud Farm in India. The son of Thatching had stood in the country since 1997.

Purchased for 52,000gns as a yearling by Peter Doyle to race in the colours of John Horgan, Tirol broke his maiden for trainer Richard Hannon on his third start as a two-year-old at Doncaster. He rounded off the year by taking the Group 3 Horris Hill Stakes.

Tirol's juvenile form left him some way short of the top two-year-olds that year, but after a short-head victory in the Group 3 Craven Stakes on his reappearance, he emerged as a serious threat to the 2,000 Guineas chance of ante-post favourite Machiavellian.

Ridden by Mick Kinane, Tirol took up the running with a furlong to go and repelled the challenge of Machiavellian by two lengths. Two weeks later, he furthered his reputation as a leading miler by taking the Irish equivalent from subsequent Group 1 winner Royal Academy, becoming only the third colt to pull off the Guineas double.

He failed to win again, finishing a distant third to Saumarez in the Group 1 Grand Prix de Paris and unplaced in the Group 1 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes.
“Obviously he was one of the best horses that we've ever had here,” said Richard Hannon yesterday. “We always held him in high regard, as he was a good, sound horse to have anything to do with, and had a very good turn of foot.

“When you win a Guineas, you obviously have a lovely day, and then he went to Ireland and won there. We could do with a few more like him.”

The dualGuineas winner was retired to Coolmore Stud in 1991 as the property of a syndicate, and shuttled for several seasons to Australia. His first crop yielded seven winners, securing him fifth place in the leading first-crop sire standings, but by 1997, he had sired only a handful of black-type performers, prompting his departure to India.

From 13 crops and 631 foals of racing age, Tirol sired 318 winners and 39 stakes performers headed by the Irish 1,000 Guineas winner Tarascon and Group 1 Prix Marcel Boussac heroine Miss Tahiti. He also played a pivotal role in the expansion of Capricorn Stud, siring a large volume of classy winners including the Group 1 Poonawalla Mysore Derby winner Super Speed.

In Europe, he is also the damsire of Peppertree Lane and Road To Love.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Saratoga

Tip of the Iceberg, of EI.

He has the sad distinction of being the first victim. Hopefully no more names will be added.

Poor boy. Run free.

http://www.virtualformguide.com/cgi-...lliesargue.txt
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Newmarket

I read somewhere that Rhythm ;1990 Travers winner was put down a few weeks ago...any other information about that.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 09-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
I read somewhere that Rhythm ;1990 Travers winner was put down a few weeks ago...any other information about that.
All I can remember right now is that it was a paddock accident. Poor thing.

Polish King, 4 years old, died trying in a 4k claiming race at Finger Lakes last weekend.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/polish+king2

Sleep well, good boy.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
All I can remember right now is that it was a paddock accident. Poor thing.

Polish King, 4 years old, died trying in a 4k claiming race at Finger Lakes last weekend.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/polish+king2

Sleep well, good boy.
He was claimed also...

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 09-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Saratoga

There are champions and there are others, and sometimes the others are the ones I love the most.

Somedays I'll have so many workout notifications to look at and i'll skim the "good" horses but pause on the claimers, on my favorite claimers, cause they're the ones who are constant reminders... they're the heart and soul of racing.

Khyber Pass wouldn't be considered a "good" horse by most. I doubt he had a lot of fans, doubt a lot of people followed him.

He didn't win much.

When he ran he had that spark though.... a little claimer with the determination of a champion. He radiated heart and he tried so hard every time..... every time.

Someone on another forum watched as he died at Fairplex, while or after being unsaddled. Okay that was hard to even write those words.

Maybe there's somewhere when he and Go Bye Bye, Capecloakanddagger, Ride and Shine and All the Boys are winning races now and free of pain.

Rest in peace, special boy. You were loved and I will never forget you.