Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Oriental Park

He is going to win, the Derby and Preakness just carry much more weight, and he destroyed Bayern in that race. I would also add lots of voters dont even think he was best in that classic.

And since when did the Penn Derby carry so much weight?
Old 11-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Sunshine Park

So if you declare a race a prep, it should not count? Baffert was playing catch up with Bayern all spring. That was his Derby horse. So when he finally gets the horse ready, everything it wins is discounted? He not only beat all of the males left standing at the end, he also has a win over the Champion Female for 2014, Untapable. Which means more that some grass race win over a Canadian filly that is a poly/turf runner, Chrome did not beat the filly that ran faster than him at Churchill Downs that weekend.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
He is going to win, the Derby and Preakness just carry much more weight, and he destroyed Bayern in that race. I would also add lots of voters dont even think he was best in that classic.

To be fair, Bayern did get destroyed at the start. Although then we have to talk about the annihilation at the gate in the BC....
Old 11-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Churchill Downs

This past weekend's results surely helped California Chrome's case. Not only did he win a late-year Grade I, eliminating the argument that he didn't win a race after May, but the Clark Handicap was won by the Santa Anita Derby runner-up. While Bayern had an admirable campaign by today's standards, I have a hard time bestowing championship laurels on a horse that performed as dismally as he did in the Travers, and was a non-factor in the Preakness.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Gulfstream Park

grade 1 race, that turf race was more like an opt claimer, should have NO impact on Championship, just look at the filed in that race,it is a digrace to call it a grade 1
Old 12-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty Cide View Post
Does a win today from California Chrome seal up horse of the year for him?
NFW
Old 12-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Sunshine Park

I dont get why people want to minimize everything California Chrome has done.. He is one of only 32 horses in the history of horse racing to win the Derby and Preakness.... let me say that again:

He is 1 of only 32 horses to ever win the Derby and the Preakness... Thats an accomplishment.

Sure he lost a chunk of his foot out the gate at Belmont and failed to win the Triple Crown but something always goes wrong at Belmont... dont it?

He will win horse of the year. Mark it down... its really not debatable. unless you want to minimize the validity of the triple crown season. because thats what your doing in saying he wont win it. no other horse has totally jumped off the page which I believe you gotta do if you are gonna over take a horse that wins 2 of the 3 triple crown races

on a side not using the law of averages snce we got 2 derby favs as winnes the past 2 years... think maybe we get a bomb this year? all handicapping out the window just working off of the law of averages.... Just Saying...

Last edited by Smarty Cide : 12-01-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I dont get why people want to minimize everything California Chrome has done.. He is one of only 32 horses in the history of horse racing to win the Derby and Preakness.... let me say that again:

He is 1 of only 32 horses to ever win the Derby and the Preakness... Thats an accomplishment.

Sue he lost a chunk of his foot out the gate at Belmont and failed to win the Triple Crown but something always goes wrong at Belmont... dont it?

He will win horse of the year. Mark it down... its really not debatable. unless you want to minimize the validity of the triple crown season. because thats what your doing in saying he wont win it. no other horse has totally jumped off the page which I believe you gotta do if you are gonna over take a horse that wins 2 of the 3 triple crown races

on a side not using the law of averages snce we got 2 derby favs as winnes the past 2 years... think maybe we get a bomb this year? all handicapping out the window just working off of the law of averages.... Just Saying...
I think most of us will be grateful for the "ignore" button if he does somehow manage to pull it off.

By the way, are you missing some fingers?

Last edited by Arletta : 12-01-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
I think most of us will be grateful for the "ignore" button if he does somehow manage to pull it off.

By the way, are missing some fingers?
how so?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Why would him winning today matter at all for HOY? Bayern has destroyed him 2x now. If he wanted a prayer for HOY he should have shipped for the Cigar Mile or Clark.
You mean his really good 9th at Pimlico and after he took out half the field in the Classic?

Riiiight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus View Post
Even though Bayern is a California-based horse, I am starting to wonder if the Internet Land campaign for California Chrome to win the Horse of the Year Eclipse is going to take on a Zenyatta-like fervor.
It won't happen, don't worry.

Quote:
He will win horse of the year. Mark it down... its really not debatable.
Put down the crack pipe.

Do I want him to win?

YES.

Do I think he deserves to win?

YES.

Will he?

No. Bayern will.

I would rather see Dan win again or hell... Demonstrative (won the Turf Writers and the Lonesome Glory and 2nd in the Smithwick and don't worry I know that won't be happening. Just saying I would prefer him to Bayern).

Bayern is a very good horse who, like CC, ran at different tracks and all year.

The thing that no one is mentioning (and I don't believe it's the deciding factor BUT I think it might make it easier for people not to vote for him) is his idiotic owners bitch-fit of a rant... the finest example of poor sportsmanship I have ever witnessed in my life. What an embarrassment.

Love Chrome and always will. Hope I'm wrong but I think we should live with the reality that Bayern might pull a Bayern and steal this (too).

Hey I kept my mouth shut after the Classic... gotta say it one time.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
You mean his really good 9th at Pimlico and after he took out half the field in the Classic?

Riiiight.

It won't happen, don't worry.

Put down the crack pipe.

Do I want him to win?

YES.

Do I think he deserves to win?

YES.

Will he?

No. Bayern will.

I would rather see Dan win again or hell... Demonstrative (won the Turf Writers and the Lonesome Glory and 2nd in the Smithwick and don't worry I know that won't be happening. Just saying I would prefer him to Bayern).

Bayern is a very good horse who, like CC, ran at different tracks and all year.

The thing that no one is mentioning (and I don't believe it's the deciding factor BUT I think it might make it easier for people not to vote for him) is his idiotic owners bitch-fit of a rant... the finest example of poor sportsmanship I have ever witnessed in my life. What an embarrassment.

Love Chrome and always will. Hope I'm wrong but I think we should live with the reality that Bayern might pull a Bayern and steal this (too).

Hey I kept my mouth shut after the Classic... gotta say it one time.

I am a big Bayern fan as I am with Chrome but Bayern's resume dont stack up. its just dont... now i cant wait for the 4 year old season next year there is gonna be some really good racing.... really really good

(takes another puff from crack pipe) --- just kidding.. always appreciate a good ole crack pipe comment
Old 12-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
how so?
Just a wild guess with all the missing letters
Old 12-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I am a big Bayern fan as I am with Chrome but Bayern's resume dont stack up. its just dont...
Okay well I hope you handle disappointment well.

Regarding the 4 year old seasons... again, try not to count on it cause anything can happen.

I hope I'm wrong on all counts.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Sunshine Park

Am I correct that Chrome ran the last 3/8 in 36 1/5 seconds? Is that pretty slow for a Grade I?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:41 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost King View Post
Am I correct that Chrome ran the last 3/8 in 36 1/5 seconds? Is that pretty slow for a Grade I?
If they ran fast in the early part of the race, it shouldn't matter if the second half went slow.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost King View Post
ummm no! thats pretty fast if you're running 12 second furlongs.

12-24-36-48-1:00-1:12-1:24-1:36-1:48-2:00.

the defense rests
Old 12-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
ummm no! thats pretty fast if you're running 12 second furlongs.

12-24-36-48-1:00-1:12-1:24-1:36-1:48-2:00.

the defense rests
Hey, why not extrapolate that further and end up with 12f in 2:24 flat!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Sunshine Park

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...SFuOUI.twitter
Old 12-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Hey, why not extrapolate that further and end up with 12f in 2:24 flat!
i'm not a big extrapolater. i think my point was valid though, do you disagree ?
Old 12-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
That is one of the worst articles I've ever read, and I think CC should be HOY.