Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
Speaking of Bernardini, didn't he get around a 101 when he won the Withers in basically a match race? That was career start number 3, and I think yesterday's NW1X with Racketeer and Flashy Bull (and others) was decidedly stronger than the graded Withers. After two races, Minister's Bid is every bit as good as Bernardini was after his first two (actually three) races. It wasn't until the Preakness that Bernardini really moved forward.
He got a 104, actually. Bernardini was a hot horse after he broke his maiden; he broke badly and walloped the field, in sharp time. In fact, he trounced High Finance, who came back to win (romp) twice and ran a decent race in the Belmont. At the time, Luxembourg was considered a highly promising colt, so I am not going to denigrate Bernardini's Withers. It didn't matter who he was facing - that was a brilliant performance - that Beyer was earned while the colt was running with no urging whatsoever. Plus, he had missed training time with a virus and a bruised hoof. That Withers performance is just not comparable to MB's allowance race, IMO.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
He got a 104, actually. Bernardini was a hot horse after he broke his maiden; he broke badly and walloped the field, in sharp time. In fact, he trounced High Finance, who came back to win (romp) twice and ran a decent race in the Belmont. At the time, Luxembourg was considered a highly promising colt, so I am not going to denigrate Bernardini's Withers. It didn't matter who he was facing - that was a brilliant performance - that Beyer was earned while the colt was running with no urging whatsoever. Plus, he had missed training time with a virus and a bruised hoof. That Withers performance is just not comparable to MB's allowance race, IMO.
High Finance finished second to last in the Belmont. LOL
Old 06-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
High Finance finished second to last in the Belmont. LOL
My bad, I was thinking of Oh So Awesome. Doesn't matter - my comments still stand
Old 06-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Jerome Park

By the way, his winning figure was 102, not 101.

I guess I should move him up as that is a solid number but I still remain unimpressed, but perhaps given that kind of figure I was a little hard on him, especially as a second time starter. However, considering the aggressive campaign they are planning, I will be very surprised if he has an impact on the major 3YO races.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
What had Luxembourg done? He was an overrated, overhyped horse who beat a field of GP Mdns. At least Flashy Bull and Racketeer had run in graded stakes. So Bernardini's 104 against a maiden grad was more impressive than Minister's Bid's 102 closing wide on a slow pace against Flashy Bull and Racketeer? Let's face it; take Bernardini out of the Withers and none of those colts would've come close to hitting the board in Thursday's NW1X.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Randwyck

That is not MY judgment of Luxembourg; he WAS highly regarded after breaking his maiden and winning an allowance (and not just by his trainer, either).

We disagree on the relative merits and talents of Bernardini and Minister's Bid, JJP, so I'm not going to get into an argument. Neither of us are going to convince each other.........I'm very, very, very confident in Bernardini and I have no doubts he will beat his 3 year old challengers. If you feel otherwise, that's fine. I'm just not willing to make the leap of faith regarding MB that you are.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Jerome Park

Well, Dicksie, not everybody can be as sharp as you.

By the way...Argentina is a money burner ( if you had the $5 you could have bought a Racing Form and seen that ) and Latent Heat will be 2:5.

Awfully kind of you to tout a 2:5 shot. Now THAT takes real genius.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
For those who liked Racketeer, you were a day early.

Best 3 year old in training runs today @ Belmont (Latent Heat). Well, I might have overstated my optimism, but I'm sure you catch my drift.

Argentina wins too. At least she'll be 2/1. LH probably 1/5.

I wonder what race Black was watching? I've always said this game is about being WRONG, not being RIGHT. The TALENT is wrong LESS than others. This guy (BTW) makes a zillion posts and clearly fits into the later group.
Wouldn't want you to alter this post.